Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slide off rack lubrication

What are folks using to lubricate the "tracks" for slide off racks on a G3? I've got to take mine off every time I put the boat in the garage and one in particular likes to stick - my heavy ski rack. Looking for something non-messy since I have been just setting them on the floor of the boat after removal.

Edited by oldjeep

Paraffin wax might be good. It doesn't attract dust/dirt so much, repels water and will not stain your interior of it gets on the vinyl or carpet.

I've used it for years on bike chains (the stuff I picked up at a bike shop is very slippery).

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Need to do a good cleaning on them first, but I think we have some canning wax around here. If not I've got all sorts of ski wax - although that wouldn't be paraffin.

Mine are not that tight, of course every boat is going to be different. If they are really tight you might consider radiusing the beveled edges of the rack plates to get them to loosen up a little. I would try it with an emery sponge first in a 400 grit to slightly roll the edges. It might only take a couple of passes. I would imagine waxing them and muscling them off is going to be a PITA after a while.

They are not overly tight, more like some galling from the aluminum on aluminum friction. Once the wax was on them they slid easily, time will tell how often they need to be re waxed, but it was a 5 minute job - so no big deal.