Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull Care

As I mentioned in another topic, I recently bought a 2000 Sunsetter LX that has sat up for the last year and a half with very little attention. Overall it is not in bad shape, but it definitely needs some TLC.

The hull has some of all the problems you would expect from a 15 year old boat that sat up the last couple years:

A little oxidation

Some UV damage

Light scratches

A few deep scratches

While it could probably use a full restoration, the damage is not bad and I would like to wait unitl after this summer to tackle that project.

So my question is, what should I do to clean and protect the hull before this summer?

My main concern is to prevent any further oxidation or UV damage this summer, and make the boat look as good as possible without doing anything so drastic that I will have to replace decals right now or spend dozens of hours working on it.

A good compound, then polish, then wax and it should be good. If the hull is really dirty, stop by Academy or Wal-mart and get the Starbrite hull cleaner and a sponge to wipe down the hull and spray it off with the water hose first.

Pics would help. I agree with Boz and jwl. If it's really bay, hit it with a little 1600 wet sand followed by some 2000 wet sand, followed by some polish and 2 coats of wax. That should wake up the gel just a bit.

Pics would help. I agree with Boz and jwl. If it's really bay, hit it with a little 1600 wet sand followed by some 2000 wet sand, followed by some polish and 2 coats of wax. That should wake up the gel just a bit.

I will try to get some pics tomorrow. I think a wet sand might be in order, but I would like to wait until fall if possible.

Should I compound and polish over the decals, or do I need to work around them?

I polished over the big "domed" Malibu logo and it actually improved the look of them a lot. Keep it plenty wet though, if it grabs it could start to rip it off.

• 3 weeks later...

A good compound, then polish, then wax and it should be good. If the hull is really dirty, stop by Academy or Wal-mart and get the Starbrite hull cleaner and a sponge to wipe down the hull and spray it off with the water hose first.

I'm struggling with this as well I cannot decide which product or method to go with. I have taken good care of my boat though. But it feel it is time to make it pop like new again. I'm thinking a good polish and wax. But I would like to hear from those who have done this which combination of products for compound, polish, and wax method works best for the first go around and no experience? I'm so nervous over this I'm contemplating on paying someone else to do this!

Edited by Blueforester

I'm struggling with this as well I cannot decide which product or method to go with. I have taken good care of my boat though. But it feel it is time to make it pop like new again. I'm thinking a good polish and wax. But I would like to hear from those who have done this which combination of products for compound, polish, and wax method works best for the first go around and no experience? I'm so nervous over this I'm contemplating on paying someone else to do this!

No reason to be nervous. It's a lot of work, but actually kind of enjoyable in a sick sort of way.

I've used 3M, Collonites, and most recently, performance boat candy stuff. I used the cut, polish, and wax and the results were pretty impressive. There are lots of good products out there that likely produce the same results.

Do a sealant first, then a good carnuba wax on top of that if you want the warmth of wax. But a sealant will last longer than a wax will.