Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is a "shipping cover"?

Asmodeus2112

I'm looking for a cover for my 2001 LXi. Have old stock cover now that was hacked for titan tower. Is a shipping cover water proof and good for general purpose use? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MALIBU-SUNSETTER-LXI-SHIPPING-COVER-1999-BOAT-ML07SC2-F-INBOARD-POLY-PRO-P40-/131494394033?hash=item1e9dad38b1&vxp=mtr

Here is another old stock cover, not sure if it will fit my boat, but maybe? It's for a 2005 21 LSV Sunsetter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/400899203065?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks like something you would use under shrink wrap.

As for the other one, I think I'd pause before buying a cover that has been sitting in the box for 11 years unless you could inspect the material and stitching for deterioration.

looks to me like the older type shipping covers turned inside out. If so, $325 is ridiculous. shipping covers are waterproof but not ideal for daily use. They would break down quickly and require a significant amount of time to fasten correctly. I'd suggest you call your dealer. They'd prolly sell you one for cheap, if not give you one from a new boat.

looks to me like the older type shipping covers turned inside out. If so, $325 is ridiculous. shipping covers are waterproof but not ideal for daily use. They would break down quickly and require a significant amount of time to fasten correctly. I'd suggest you call your dealer. They'd prolly sell you one for cheap, if not give you one from a new boat.

Yeah, if its the white shipping cover that you see on the boats that are on the big rigs traveling from the plant to dealerships, your dealer will probably give you one. My dealer trashes them once they come in. They do however keep two or three around just in case. Your dealer probably does the same or will stick one back for you.

Evolution Covers. Google it. Then buy one.

Yeah, I've read the many threads and have no doubt ya'll are right. Just can't separate with the 1K at this point (If I order an evolution I'd want D rings and a swim deck cover...). Will suffer through with my old factory cover for a while longer. Really that OEM cover with cut outs for a Titan tower, if it fit, would meet all my needs. I just don't think the tower legs will be in the right place.

There is a label on my shipping cover stating that it should be discarded after removal from boat. It is for shipping purposes only. "Using this cover in sunlight WILL cause damage to the fiberglass!" I have used mine for 12 winter lay-ups now inside a tent shelter. It has served that purpose well and should last forever being used in that capacity. My dealer was wise enough to lift my boat off the trailer for non damaging removal of the shipping cover to give to me. Cover protects boat and trailer during lay-up it is so long on the sides.

Edited by electricjohn
  • Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Why do you say using the shipping cover in sunlight will damage the fiberglass? I bought my boat last fall from Minnesota Inboards and they stored it outside for me until spring delivery wrapped up in the shipping cover. They did have some plastic film covering much of the boat and the tower so maybe this was done because of the issue you mention above? I just put the cover over my boat today for the winter and wondering if I should be putting any protection between the boat and the cover?

Edited by gobble