Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SMD - DD1 for Rent!

Murphy8166

Going to give this a try and see how it works.

I have a new SMD-DD1 that I would be willing to rent out to TMC forum members.

They way this will work - Paypal me $40 and I will send you the DD1 via USPS. I will also include a return label for USPS and ask that you just return the DD-1 in the same USPS flat rate package it came in and stick the new label on it.

Not trying to make money on this deal - I think a $25 rental fee is pretty fair and that is what it looks like I will be pocketing after shipping both ways and paypal fees.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

If this get's rolling we can make a list on this thread of the order of renter's and shipment dates.

Whats your work around for the test tone CDs for those that do not have a CD player?

Great question MLA!

I have not a cd player for about 5 years now and I had sucess with pulling the test tones from the disk and putting them into my iphone or my ipod. Another method would be to download an app, such as "FuncGen" and use the tones that they have - endless possibilites there. Another option would be for me to email the test tones or put them in DropBox and send them to the renter so that they could download for themselves.

Another option is to go to the D'Amore Engineering website and you can download the test tones right there. This is the company that makes the DD-1

Scroll to the bottom. http://damoreengineering.com/collections/car-audio-installation-tools/products/dd-1

Do you have any other suggestions?

Edited by Murphy8166

Agreed,

I think the easiest way to do it would be for me to send the test tones in mp3 format via Dropbox.

It will require the end user to download. Pretty user friendly.

I tried the link from D'Amore and had some issues.

• 1 year later...
On 4/23/2015 at 11:18 AM, MLA said:

Whats your work around for the test tone CDs for those that do not have a CD player?

If you can get a VU meter, you can send any source material until you reach the amplifiers nominal input (by watching the VU meter) gain (lets say 0dB), then turn up gain on amplifiers until you reach "your" listening level. Lets say 100dB. Setting sub gain would be different. I've found that "flat" gain using "weighted" white or pink noise is a good starting point. 

This helps to make sure you aren't over amplifying a whole lot of nothing, or, underamplifying a lot of distorted stuff.

My general rule is somewhere around 28dB of amp gain.

As far as a VU meter, you could use a professional audio mixer to watch the levels. A Mackie mixer would do, at least getting you good and close.

Steve B.