Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Pump(s) and/or Switch

sidekicknicholas

I'll be picking up a new to me boat this evening and based on test drives I know the center MLS tank pumps do not work. Neither fill or empty made noise or vibration when I flipped the switch....The switch lights came on though.

My hope is that both pumps are okay and its a switch or fuse issue.... can anyone let me know where the ballast fuses are located on a 2004 Wakesetter LSV?

If the fuse is okay, I'll test light the electrical and start working backwards that way, but I assume its a fuse or switch.

Thanks in advance!

Luckily, even if it is the pumps, those are the easiest to change. I had to do mine this year, took like 10 min for each one. You just gotta change the cartridge and not the whole pump.

I like the sound of that.... I'll probably re-pipe while I'm in there too to tie in an additional bow-bag.

I'm getting so antsy to pick the thing up.... problem our old boat (SuperSport Nautique) is still in the driveway and my boat lift hasn't arrived yet. Running out of drive-way space.

On my 04 the ballast pumps are attached to breakers under the throttle. Mine will only trip the breakers if the pumps are not spinning when you kick them on. Sometimes after winter layup just pulling the cartridge and moving the impeller by hand and then flipping the switch will allow them to run fine. It is possible to get something wrapped around the impeller or jamb it up. The one pump that I have replaced I could hear in causing interference in the speakers.

That sounds very likely to what was going on when I test drove it. Flipped the switch and nothing.... but that was the first running of the boat since it was winterized. I assume the tear-down of the pumps is quite straightforward?

Yes, there is a phillips screw on the top, unscrew it. Then there is a collar (blue) all the way around the upper section of the pump, unscrew it. It may take a little bit of prying d/t the o-ring but the cartridge should come out of the housing now. If it needs to be replaced cut the two wires. Reverse steps to put it back together.

Has anyone replaced factory pumps with these? http://www.amazon.com/Shurflo-358-011-10-SHURFLO-2000-LIVEWELL/dp/B002IVEBTA/ref=sr_1_1?s=boating-water-sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1429838187&sr=1-1

I estimate 2.5x faster filling. The 1100's slow way down with minimal head pressure. The 2000's seam much better. Not a big deal until you start filling BIG sacks. Just a thought?