Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Detailing product review – Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce – Vinyl Cleaner

ibelonginprison

Looks great.

Question - if you were already using the 303 protectant, why not the 303 cleaner that the Malibu manual recommends by name? Only reason I ask is that when dealing with chemicals I try to stay within a single brand for a single application area just to minimize the chance of a weird reaction.

Excellent and valid question, and I have a somewhat good answer, or at least a reasoning behind not trying it.

My father in law used 303 protectant across his three boats and swore by it, and he tried the 303 cleaner thinking the same thing. But he said that it wasn't even worth trying compared to several other products he used. (He was a big believer in Fantastic, of all things.) So when it came time for me to start trying different cleaners based on his experience I left that one off the list.

However, I still have a handful of seat cushions that I haven't hit like a ton of bricks yet, and if you've had really good luck with it then I'm always open to trying something different.

I used to stick to the same product family for years, but honestly each product line has it's strong products, and it's lesser products. While they "work" - there may be something out there that works better for one particular application. Which is why I ditched brand loyalty and started just trying the stuff that people I valued their opinion on swore by. NOTE: the majority of my experience is in the automotive world. I'm just now branching out into the marine world and will be trying out different products based on what my needs are.

Also, I should have put this disclaimer in there, asking serious detailers what the "best product is" will end up in an argument about like asking a group of firearm enthusiasts what the best handgun is, or the best caliber for concealed carry... you're going to get all different answers, reasoning and it may end in a fistfight. lol

So all my observations are based off of products that I have personally tried and have had great results with. I cannot say with certainty that I've found "the best ever" - I can only say that out of the items I HAVE tried, product xxxxxx worked so well that I stopped looking for better. Hopefully that made sense. ha

• Like 2

I wouldn't claim that I have had really good luck with it since I haven't ever had truly filthy seats to clean. but it had worked well for the occasional blood and wine stains that happen on our seats.

• Like 1

I have a similar situation on the front edge of the observers cushion.

Think it is from sunscreen.

Tried the usual 303 cleaner with little success, had planned this weekend to try the brush trick with the cleaner.

Thanks for the how to & before & after pics, gives me hope the brush may be the trick for those ingrained stains

I wouldn't claim that I have had really good luck with it since I haven't ever had truly filthy seats to clean. but it had worked well for the occasional blood and wine stains that happen on our seats.

Why do I get the impression that you throw some epic parties. LOL

I think for basic cleaning, the 303 is probably perfect.

The only thing allowed on the boat is white wine, and thankfully so far I haven't bled on the boat unless I'm servicing something.

*fingers crossed*

• Like 3

I will vouch for the vinyl sauce too. I also love the boat bling hot sauce for wiping the boat down after a day on the water. Ive used it for two seasons now and with my all black boat, It does wonders for hard water spots. And it puts a light layer of wax on too.

• Like 2

I used the Hot sauce last weekend on my hull, she is looking pretty!

ibelong,

This is a great first product review; keep them coming. I have two bottles of the vinyl sauce on the way, and I have already used the conditioning sauce and loved it. According to the Boat Bling site, they say to follow up vinyl sauce with a good layer of the conditioning sauce.

Just FYI, you should NOT use 409 on marine vinyl. Every boat I've ever owned, even bass boats, the manual said NOT to use it.

Really, you shouldn't use anything that comes from under your sink.

Years ago, Fantastic was a different formula and worked very well for boats. Then they changed it, and it should no longer be used for vinyl, higher content of Chlorides or such, so I hear.

IBIP, what about conditioners? I love 303 for my seats and hull, but it really doesn't condition the vinyl. I just ordered some BB Vinyl conditioner in hopes it will soften the vinyl and give a little protection. I'll still do a couple 303's during the year.

Years ago, Fantastic was a different formula and worked very well for boats. Then they changed it, and it should no longer be used for vinyl, higher content of Chlorides or such, so I hear.

IBIP, what about conditioners? I love 303 for my seats and hull, but it really doesn't condition the vinyl. I just ordered some BB Vinyl conditioner in hopes it will soften the vinyl and give a little protection. I'll still do a couple 303's during the year.

I used the conditioning sauce and it really softens things up. Makes the vinyl feel almost new again. Best part is it doesn't leave that slippery residue feeling either. Oh and it smells awesome.

Unfortunately I'm only up to speed on leather conditioner. :/

but if you own a car with leather, this stuff is what's up.

Rejuvenator, then cleaner afterwards. (it's almost like honey)

http://www.detailedimage.com/Leatherique-M8/

I'll certainly try some vinyl conditioners this season and see if there's anything that stands out to me.

I'm one of those guys that has to try several at a time to see what I like best compared side by side by side. ha

Thanks for the tip on the leather cleaner. My car has "Parchment" colored leather, difficult to keep clean. I've been using Lexol on it and it has kept it supple.

Early last season, I kept finding these 'white' dots on my seats. I was like WTF? Then one day I realized that my vinyl sauce bottle was leaking. the drips were landing and making a super clean spot, that didn't get wiped up because I had already wiped that area down when I sprayed that section. To get rid of them, I had to spray the area again and let it sit for several minutes to the entire cushion got 'super white'. This isn't a negative, it's just the sauce cleans so well and deep, you have to be careful if you let it sit or streak or drip.

• Like 2

I'm going to do a left locker vs. right locker comparison. After seeing the comparison pictures I inspected my vinyl last week closely and realised it's dirtier than I thought. Stoked to see some results.

Got to work on my vinyl with the Vinyl Sauce. I found on the seat and engine hatches I noticed a quick and significant improvement to my vinyl. Other times I felt like all the scrubbing wasn't doing anything extra , figuring my seats must be clean?

I would then sit back and look at the seat from a different angle only to notice light/dark spots. How long do you let the sauce set in before wiping it down?

Got to work on my vinyl with the Vinyl Sauce. I found on the seat and engine hatches I noticed a quick and significant improvement to my vinyl. Other times I felt like all the scrubbing wasn't doing anything extra , figuring my seats must be clean?

I would then sit back and look at the seat from a different angle only to notice light/dark spots. How long do you let the sauce set in before wiping it down?

I sprayed and let it sit for a minute or two, wiped it down.

Then spray and started scrubbing, then wiped it down. Usually only took 30-60 seconds of light scrubbing to get the results I wanted.

I did notice this weekend that it made some of the "burned" sections of vinyl, where the glue was showing through or where it was I guess otherwise "damaged", stand out.

But the 303 cleaner also did the same thing, so this was more of a "my vinyl is f***ed" issue than a product issue. ha

Hah maybe we are all nuts. My seats are really not in bad shape, in fact they are very very clean. The last owner took great care of the boat and I've been religious keeping it tidy. But is it ever clean enough? Here I am ducking and dodging to see the seats in a new light.