Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleats

Dude2007Malibu

Bought a 2007 Malibu Vride that didn't have cleats. Ordered some from Bakes Online that say Malibu (because they look cooler than regular ones). Got them in the mail today. Gonna install them this weekend. Any tips or suggestions from anyone who has already done this. Not excited about having to drill the holes in side of the boat.

Oh and drill a practice hole in some wood or something first. I drilled one for a thru hull and it was 1/16" too small so I had to order a different one so it would fit.

• Like 3

Had no issues when I added front ones to mine. I didn't bother measuring twice. I measured about a hundred times! Make sure there's clearance behind and no wires or hoses in the way. I think I ran the hole saw in reverse until the gel coat was initially penetrated in order to reduce likelihood of chipping. I drilled carefully measured pilot holes for the hole saw.

DSCN1631_zpsmpguwnst.jpg

DSCN1632_zpssen5mpsn.jpg

DSCN1636_zpsg8y2jowz.jpg

DSCN1635_zpszp7vwqzk.jpg

DSCN1634_zpsls6ztfgf.jpg

DSCN1637_zps6phxbpmu.jpg

DSCN1639_zpslj9m2neq.jpg

• Like 3

I measured about a hundred times! Make sure there's clearance behind and no wires or hoses in the way.

100 times...no kidding!!!....I had to drill holes into my XTP tower for the speaker wires.....Man...I was

literally sweating bullets, sure had a few wobbly pops after.... lol

Yes measure as many times as you need, then drill once.

Edited by Dare2goBare

a friend of mine helped me put a tower on my SSLXI. I cant even explain how nervous I was. At one point he said "oh oh" I said what? He said nothing, just busting your balls. Tower went on fine. Good job on the cleats, Dude!

Aren't the cleats from Bakes, the 2 bolt type? (3/4" or 7/8" holes) Use a Unibit, not a hole saw. And chamfer the holes.
The holes get easier to drill after the first one - but measure just as many times for the last one as you do for the first!

I disagree. I believe a good hole saw will lessen the chances of catching and chipping older gelcoat than a multi-step (uni-bit) drill.

New gel is nice and soft anyhow.

Peter

• Like 3

I disagree. I believe a good hole saw will lessen the chances of catching and chipping older gelcoat than a multi-step (uni-bit) drill.

New gel is nice and soft anyhow.

Peter

agree. start in reverse, burn the gel, then cut through. ezpz

Drilling through your boat is like getting a rectal exam from your doctor. You don't want to do it unless absolutely necessary. Super stressfull throughout the whole process. A sense of relief when it's finally over.

Surfin USA [emoji570][emoji475]

I want to do this to ours to add more cleats.. I don't believe on our 08 they placed them well.

I recently added a 3rd set to my boat. Even though I couldn't get a perfect match with the cleats (I went with the Attwood Neat Cleat) I'm totally pleased with the results aesthetically. Wish I would have done it sooner.

I would consider adding a bit more to the backing plate on them.

I haven't had to drill a hole in the current boat but have in pretty much all my prior boats. A template is always nice when they are available. Makes it a lot easier to get things lined up.

Good luck.

Kris

Cleat project went pretty smooth. Measured 100 times. We went with hole saw and then a file to smooth the edges. Drilled in reverse through first layer. Thanks for all the great tips.

• Like 2