Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Seat Skins

REHinH20

Sorry Rob,

just saw the question - I used 3/8 staples - Stainless or course.

Thanks. That is what I ended up using because it was the only thing I could find in stainless.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to speak with Gabriel on the phone last week. He was very busy moving into a shop to handle all the new requests and told me he had tried to answer all the emails he was getting. It turns out though, that for me, he did not have skin patterns for my boat cuz my boat is too old. To do mine, he needs my boat at his shop. :(

Since he didn't have my boat patterns it was just the same as using a local alternative. I found a good upholsterer who knows what skins Malibu uses and can do a nice job with an updated look at a fair price.

If you need someone in So Cal I'll give you the info.

• 1 month later...

Getting ready to do an interior overhaul on my '07, reading this and all the other guides, for the dry cleaning bag trick; do you leave it on there? Or is it removed once you get the seat skin situated?

Last question for all you experts, did any of you prefer one kind of stapler over another? What size stainless steel marine staples did most of you use?

I just used an arrow T-50 stapler. The air ones are good too just make sure you don't turn it up too high. It will punch right through the vinyl.

Stainless or monel staples will work and we used 3/8 inch.

It wasn't too bad. I have tough hands from rock climbing but I don't think it would have been much worse even if I didn't. I did all the carpet on my trailer and the 2 corner seat skins in the same weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Gabriel called me back - he was wondering if I was brining up my boat for him to do new skins.

I told him I had already found a So Cal upholsterer since driving up to Merced would be a hardship. Not to mention adding travel costs on top of new skins.

Check new skins on profile pic!

Looking great!

For staples I would recommend using what Malibu uses. Gabrial sent me a picture of the box.

These are the staples, Spot Nails Spot Nails 87006SS 3/8-inch Crown 304 Stainless Steel Staples. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I5V2NLU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This is the gun I used, Surebonder 9615A, Upholstery Stapler. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N52KSW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

It is a cheap gun, but it lasted for my entire boat.

Definitely turn down the pressure, or like has been stated, it will go right thru the vynil.

As for the T50 Monel, I have heard they are soft and could have problems going through the plastic. As for the T50 Stainless you can buy, I wouldn't trust it. I have seen them rust.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just ordered my three rear skins from Gabriel. He is very busy and it was a little difficult getting in contact with him. It took about a month but he just mailed them out. He charged me $150 per skin for the rear bottom three for my 05 23LSV. His current contact info is:

Gabriel Garcia 209-564-6203

[email protected]

• 1 month later...

I talked to him the other day, I had to try at odd times of the day.  He said he's busy at regular job, and this is the busiest season for the upholstery work too.  Keep trying, you'll catch him.

• 1 month later...