Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Manufacturer and VIN ('94 Echelon LX)

jp8

First time post:

I just bought a new (to me) 1994 Malibu Echelon LX.

Can anyone tell what kind of trailer I have based on this picture? One thing that is not shown in the picture is that the outwardly facing surface of the fenders have grit material glued on, and the grit material has cutouts that spell 'MALIBU.' Otherwise, I don't know what features might distinguish this trailer from any other. It's single axle, painted to match my teal boat, and has upwardly extending posts at the front and back corners.

I'm trying to find the VIN number for the trailer to get it registered. Any idea where I might find it? There's a worn off silver sticker on the outer surface of the left frame rail, near the front of the trailer, but nothing readable is left on it. Might this be the VIN sticker?

IMG_0569_zpstermpfy9.jpg

No title for it? Typically the only place you will find the VIN is on the sticker. You will likely have to go to your state titling entity and ask how to apply for a new VIN - typically you need to provide a Bill of Sale and some other supporting documentation.

It was an out of state purchase. There's a title for the boat but not for the trailer. In my state, I will probably have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get a new VIN. But I can short-circuit all of that if I can find the VIN, even if I don't have a title.

Is that silver sticker the VIN sticker? If so, I will spend some time and effort trying to forensically determine what's on it.

The trailer is a SMP - Sweetwater Metal Products, from Sweetwater Tennessee. I am sure the sticker for the VIN is long gone. You need to find an old registration for the trailer, from any of it's previous owners, but that said, the guy you bought it from should be able to produce it.

Do you have the trailer VIN on a bill of sale and just not on the trailer, or do you not have the VIN at all?

Peter

Thanks for the info on the trailer manufacturer.

Right now I don't have the VIN in any form. The seller is working with me to try to track it down, but he has limited information. He inherited the boat and trailer with none of the paperwork.