Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing tricks

WakeGirl

So I got a new board recently, a LF Skimskate 4'6". I absolutely love it, I feel almost like it was made for me. But now it has me trying to push things a bit. I can do a pretty good lip slide with it, but I'd like to know how to turn it, maybe a 180 or even a 360. But how do you do that? Do you cut up hard from the bottom to the top & then turn it away from the boat, making the rotation as you come down? Or another way? This board is very loose & fast (I removed the 2 outer fins to speed it up), & I feel like I can break it loose with really no difficulties at all but I'm a bit cloudy on how to continue the progression.

Watching some of those videos, it looks like he's riding at the extreme ends of the board. I don't do that, although I am pretty centered on the board which I take as a good sign. How many here ride with their feet at the very ends of the board like that?

All of the small boards are really the best for the rotational tricks unless you are really good. If you have any real surfing background that will really help. The bigger boards like the original landlock and the broadcast for some, are harder to shovit or turn unless you are good. I have found the best board that I own for rotational tricks is my smaller Phase 5 board with one fin. These types of boards are really fast and unstable, thats why they have there feet positioned at both ends of the boards. I can do shovit 180's with my landlock but it's easier with the smaller boards. Don't know if anybody out there has tried wakesurfing behind two boats at the same time but if done properly is awsome. Have to change some weight around from the normal setup with one boat, but it is really fun!! I have a buddy that comes out a couple times a year and we do this between my boat and his 03' wakesetter. The wives usually don't care to be around because the boats are so close together. I really don't think that it's that close but you do have to have two good driver's, two good speed control's, and two good spotters to watch the wakesurfer. We love it and when we do it most of the people on the lake usually stop what they are doing and watch us, even those crazy kite tuber's.

Don't know if anybody out there has tried wakesurfing behind two boats at the same time but if done properly is awsome

Is there any video out there on this? We wanted to set this up down at McClure but didn't. Hope we can make this happen at the WOW.

I know for me I need to loss a fin so that I can start sliding it.

on my phase5 prop, it can spin with no force at all. With the rope I can do 180s and some 360s. I have not tried them w/o the rope though. for a 360 ropeless ive been told, start far back, gain speed comming forward, ride up the face and spin, making sure not to sink and edge.

Don't know if anybody out there has tried wakesurfing behind two boats at the same time but if done properly is awsome

Is there any video out there on this? We wanted to set this up down at McClure but didn't. Hope we can make this happen at the WOW.

I know for me I need to loss a fin so that I can start sliding it.

our best luck w/ this is our boat next to the trojan...it really helps to have a real surf board for this..the wake is really fast and the short wakesurfing boards struggled....

we havent totally dialed things in for runnning behind a set or bu's but were always willing to give it another shot...we can run side by side w 2 riders fine...but to ride the spine i think the boats need to be closer than what most owners are willing to do...the wake on the trojan is really far back so we didnt have to get as close..and that thing was like 6-8ft from trough to crest...washy as hell on top but fast as fu@&

-krak

surfing behind two BU'S is not easy but when done right can be a blast. I have never seen a video out there with anyone doing this but I have heard that there is a picture somewhere of Erick Ruck doing it a few years ago in the older wakesurfing mags. If you have surfing background and a real surfboard it does help. When we use the smaller boards, even the 5'6" Landlock we tend to get sunk because the boards dont have enough floatation to them. When the two boats are close like that, the whitewater is fast and the bigger the board you have the more stable you can get. I use my 6'6" channel Island surfboard, and have used a long board before. The last time we went out, I used the Landlock and did OK for about 1 minute and then got swamped because I was having the driver's adjust the speed. We have found that both boats need to travel faster than a normal wakesurfing speed because when the boats are this close they tend to suck one wake towards the other. Last weekend the two boats were roughly 4 to 5 feet apart, and both traveling about 12.7 MPH. My boat has the new speed control and buddies boat has PP so we get as close as they can be reading the same speed. At these speeds the wake will make a v shape about 8 foot behind the boats. You will need roughly a 12 foot line in case you feel like the wake is changing and you need somebody to toss you the rope. The water really needs to be smooth and like glass to work good. Other wakes will tear this wake up in a minute. If you just stay in the middle of the v shaped wake you will get swamped. You need to move back and forth from side to side off the walls on iether boat and you eventuallt will build up enough speed to do fast cut backs and big areals if you are good enough to hold them down. Like I said before it really takes alot to do it this way and we usually only have enough (Patient) people to do this with us maybe once a month.

You will need these things to safely complete two boat surfing.

1. Two boats (v-drive on both prefered)

2. Two driver's (one on each boat with good nerves and no spouse yelling in thier ears)

3. Two spotter's (one in each boat)

4. Two good speed control systems

5. We usually try to have one more person per boat on the rear pad incase a rope needs to be thrown back out, and this person does not need to be your spotter.

Hope this help you all, and the next time we do it we will try to have a video camera around and shoot a video of it all. This can be fun but very dangerous at the same time!!! If you try it plesae be safe and good luck, it can be rewarding. Almost forgot

6. alot of roof to complete straight pass with not many other boats around. When surfer drops please have the two boats turn in the opposite directions!!! I don't meen to sound stupid but when you are both this close, peoples nerves come into play, and you want the driver only thinking about driving!!!

Good Luck

i agree on the faster speed....the trojan is usually around 13 and he holds steady while we adjust to him...here is a link to a pic of the wakes tip...we were doing it w/ a landlock this day and didnt have much luck compared to our previous hits w/ the real surfboards

http://www.dock9.org/gallery/5-16-04/DSC01520

-krak

I will get some pics and video's when we go out next. I think you will be surprised how big the wake is behind our two BU'S is. Cool pics that you have up there. Don't know if we were supposed to look at the first two but I did!!!!!!! Like to see that with Corona bottle. Let me stop being rude. Sorry

When our boats are just right the wake makes a pit and it is about 4 foot deep can go ropeless for a while if you can run back and forth with cutbacks.