Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do you use MPH mode or RPM mode cruise control?

jpk

I've been using the MPH mode on the Malibu cruise control, but someone told me that it wasn't accurate and that RPM mode is the way to go. I guess that kinda makes sense, only I don't see how it would hold constant speed through turns or double ups by keeping RPMs constant.

Also, if you use RPM mode and someone says they want the speed at a certain MPH, how many RPMs equals how may MPHs?

Which mode do you prefer and why? Thanks!

We use MPH pretty much exclusively. It surges a bit, but I found that with rpm there was too much of a dropoff plus it changes so much depending on what ballast you may be running that it's a PITA to have to figure what speed is what rpm. If you're unsure if your speedo is calibrated, then buy a cheapo GPS to get it dialed in. Calibrate it to 20 mph & it will be accurate for both boarding & surfing (surfing doesn't really matter too much because your speed won't change with each surfer, so it will only matter as far as the shape of the wave goes - did that make sense?). Then you just use RPM exclusively for skiers, if you do that behind that boat.

Where we are on the Brazos River, (our lake is part of the Brazos), the boat speed will change depending on which way you are going. Upstream and downstream is 1 to 1.5 MPH different on the PP because of the current. Not to bad with the MPH setting, would be harder on RPM. You can really tell it while surfing, one way will have a nice wake, the other will need some help.

Where we are on the Brazos River, (our lake is part of the Brazos), the boat speed will change depending on which way you are going. Upstream and downstream is 1 to 1.5 MPH different on the PP because of the current. Not to bad with the MPH setting, would be harder on RPM. You can really tell it while surfing, one way will have a nice wake, the other will need some help.

I guess you are refering to the speed difference of 1 to 1.5 referenced to land (ie. fixed object) or GPS. Because the water is fluid your speed in the water is the same going upstream or downstream. Unless you are running a slalom course, using a jump or other fixed object the current is not a factor on the rider.

We use the RPM mode on the PP digital pro. My wife would rather have a speed reduction in the turn as the boat holds the same RPM. I tried the MPH mode once and she did not like the boat surging in the turn to maintain MPH.

Edited by apexeon

I use the RMP mode of my PP Digital Pro becuase I just don't like the constant surging. Howerver, I don't like that I can't store skiier names while in RPM mode. My wife, and I ski at different speeds (as well as my Mother and my Brother and My Sister and My Father) and I hate having to change the RPM setting everytime we switch. Plus it is nearly impossible to remember all the various RPM settings. Any thoughts? Or do I just suck it up and use the MPH mode?

Is there a chance that you're in RPM wakeboard mode and not true slalom mode? If you're in slalom mode, you don't have to "remember" anything, except how fast someone likes to go.

I use the RMP mode of my PP Digital Pro becuase I just don't like the constant surging. Howerver, I don't like that I can't store skiier names while in RPM mode. My wife, and I ski at different speeds (as well as my Mother and my Brother and My Sister and My Father) and I hate having to change the RPM setting everytime we switch. Plus it is nearly impossible to remember all the various RPM settings. Any thoughts? Or do I just suck it up and use the MPH mode?

Have your father, brother sister.. etc remember their own RPM settings. That way, when they're putting on their ski they just say "Hey, set it at xyz RPM's"

I used rpm mode when I had PP, but have found that the mph mode with the new Malibu Cruise works well for wakeboarding. It holds the speed much better than PP did in mph mode.

I used rpm mode when I had PP, but have found that the mph mode with the new Malibu Cruise works well for wakeboarding. It holds the speed much better than PP did in mph mode.

Ditto that. We still get some surging, but not anything like PP was even after "dialing it in" with the different k & NN settings.

I think that the OP was asking about the stock cruise control, so if people want to discuss PP then let's start a new discussion on that since they're 2 completely different systems.

We use MPH pretty much exclusively. It surges a bit, but I found that with rpm there was too much of a dropoff plus it changes so much depending on what ballast you may be running that it's a PITA to have to figure what speed is what rpm. If you're unsure if your speedo is calibrated, then buy a cheapo GPS to get it dialed in. Calibrate it to 20 mph & it will be accurate for both boarding & surfing (surfing doesn't really matter too much because your speed won't change with each surfer, so it will only matter as far as the shape of the wave goes - did that make sense?). Then you just use RPM exclusively for skiers, if you do that behind that boat.

A friend brought his GPS on my boat yesterday and it shows that my speedo reads about 1.5 to 2MPH slow. How do I calibrate my speedo based on this information? Is there a way to access the speedo through the dash settings on the LCD screen to adjust the MPH reading?

Thanks!

A friend brought his GPS on my boat yesterday and it shows that my speedo reads about 1.5 to 2MPH slow. How do I calibrate my speedo based on this information? Is there a way to access the speedo through the dash settings on the LCD screen to adjust the MPH reading?

Thanks!

On my 2005 it was as simple as pressing the speed rocker switch on my dashboard either up or down.

It's different on the '06 models, you have to go through the setup menu.

OK, do you know if that is explained in the owner's manual, or do I need to call the shop for instructions? Thanks!

Just start pushing buttons. You'll find it. ;)

Man, the last time I did that on the dash LCD, it started asking me stuff like "Do you really want to format your hard drive?" and I got freaked out and didn't know what to do. Dontknow.gif

To calibrate the speedo just go to the speed/ rpm screen and then hold down the "E" button until the speed portion is highlighted. Then use the up and down arrows to make the adjustment. When your done just press the "E" button again to return to normal mode.

To calibrate the speedo just go to the speed/ rpm screen and then hold down the "E" button until the speed portion is highlighted. Then use the up and down arrows to make the adjustment. When your done just press the "E" button again to return to normal mode.

Awesome! Thanks!