Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Houseboating in the Delta

obski

We are going to be renting a houseboat out of Herman and Helen's Marina in the California Delta in August. I have never been to the Delta, but have heard that it is nice. Are there things we should know before going? Places to go? Any slalom courses around the area. I really don't know much about the place. Any tips would be appreciated.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• obski

• stewart

• SacRiverRat

• Birm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i wouldnt say that the delta is nice. at leasts not if your describing the scenery...however. you can always find nice water and there are alot of slalom courses. navigating the delta can be complicated. i would suggest getting a map before you go and get a feel for it. i have a small houseboat on the delta and i love it so far..

The water is run off from the farm land surrounding the Delta so it is kind of dirty. There are parts of the Delta that are part fresh water and part salt (brackish I think they call it) I have only been their once and the water was butter but stunk like you know what. It is narrow and can be dangerous in certain area's. I was around the Tracy/Stockton area. The Delta is huge, I will ask my sister who lives 10 minutes from it if there is any good maps available. Have a good trip and be safe, look out for the big huge boats their wake can flip you over.

Only certain stagnant back waters of the delta smell - and it isn't that the water is dirty so much, as it is silty - since it is a river.. it has a nice brownish color to it.

David, PM me the details of your trip, I'd love to meet up with you. I'm on the delta frequently Yes.gif

Get your shots.

Bring a GPS or you won't find your way back.

Explain.

No need for shots, the fertilizer runoff from all the agriculture will kill whatever you get!

I haven't skied there in a long time but used to ski there almost weekly in the late 70's. You can definitely find good water anytime of day.

And take a little time for yourself, leave the wife and kids on the HB and head to Lost Ilse for a drink or two!

yes there is a special delat map, you can get them at most marinas there...

What he said.

Get your shots.

Bring a GPS or you won't find your way back.

Explain.

No need for shots, the fertilizer runoff from all the agriculture will kill whatever you get!

I haven't skied there in a long time but used to ski there almost weekly in the late 70's. You can definitely find good water anytime of day.

And take a little time for yourself, leave the wife and kids on the HB and head to Lost Ilse for a drink or two!

on a weekend Drool.gif

Here is an on-line version of the USGS Map. Click on the Stockton Area for Herman & Helen's Marina

http://www.boatharborslocator.com/sac_delt...mento_delta.htm

Watch it on the weekends...35-40 foot cruisers travel an packs throwing huge wakes (Head High) in the narrow passages. I have been swamped many times but that is normal in an Eliminator Daytona.

I would put in at Brannen Island State Park in the Rio Vista region and waterski to the south in the Frank's Tract Region.

Windsurfing is some of the best in Cali in the main channel from Sherman Island to Rio Vista. Think big Wind ... but the Delta gets glassy the farther East you go.

Edited by MoonDawg

Sounds like we should be wakesurfing behind those bigger boats with the head high waves!!!! That place sounds crazy to us southern folk.

A great place to ski is Victoria. It is between where you are and Discovery Bay. It's a bit of a haul from your location. Another place to visit, without kids, is Lost Isle. They are close to where you will load. Worth a visit once. http://www.lostisle.com/

Besides smooth water there's Lot's of restaurants and pubs on the delta to check out.

Lost Isle sells a good Delta map with all the bars marked on it, good excuse to go check it out Innocent.gif

I'll be at Lost Isle Saturday afternoon and ski beach and Garlic Bros.maybe Tower park

I won't be in a Bu though,I'll be riding in a SAN. I'll keep an eye out for any TMC peeps. Cheers.gif

Obski,

Hopefully you have two very confident drivers. When it gets busy on a weekend and in a narrow channel, just passing an on-coming boat can be nerve racking.

The water rises and falls with the tide, so if you're houseboating you'll want to keep an eye on the tides chart so you don't get stuck waiting for it to change with your boat beached on shore.

Also, there are huge shipping vessels that cruise through some of the larger channels. If you happen to be anchored near one when they come through you need to be prepared. They literally suck the water in towards them, dramatically dropping the water level at the shore, and then after they pass it resurges and increases the water level briefly. Loads of fun on your anchor set-up.

Oh, and watch out for the Sturgen...

The water rises and falls with the tide, so if you're houseboating you'll want to keep an eye on the tides chart so you don't get stuck waiting for it to change with your boat beached on shore.

Also, there are huge shipping vessels that cruise through some of the larger channels. If you happen to be anchored near one when they come through you need to be prepared. They literally suck the water in towards them, dramatically dropping the water level at the shore, and then after they pass it resurges and increases the water level briefly. Loads of fun on your anchor set-up.

Oh, and watch out for the Sturgen...

Good advice. Thanks. Sounds like this could be a learning experience, hopefully not a painful, expensive one.

Obski,

Troy and D-Goose and I frequent the Delta, quite a bit. In fact, D-Goose and I both met up around Herman and Helens last weekend.

Very close to Herman and Helens is a great anchorage between H&H and Tower Park, I'm sure that H&H can tell you how to get to it OR once you get a map I can guide you through it. There is also a ski club near there with a course. Another popular spot to motor to as well would be the Meadows, plenty of glass there during the week as well.

We are out there almost every weekend, so if you need more info let me know......

These areas of the delta, in the back waters near H&H are pretty clean water. We find good water in those sections even on the weekends :) It is all fresh water as well. The "dirtier" water is like Troy said mostly sediment and mostly only seen during times of heavy run off. The Sac River, San Joaquin river, Molkulomne River and some others all flow through the delta bringing with it plenty of fresh clean water. Remember, the delta has over 1200 miles to it. In 8 years of riding/Jet Skiing out there I have never heard of ANYONE getting sick. But I do enjoy the rumors/sceptics.... it leaves some of the best butter out there a secret. :lol:

Obski,

Troy and D-Goose and I frequent the Delta, quite a bit. In fact, D-Goose and I both met up around Herman and Helens last weekend.

Very close to Herman and Helens is a great anchorage between H&H and Tower Park, I'm sure that H&H can tell you how to get to it OR once you get a map I can guide you through it. There is also a ski club near there with a course. Another popular spot to motor to as well would be the Meadows, plenty of glass there during the week as well.

We are out there almost every weekend, so if you need more info let me know......

These areas of the delta, in the back waters near H&H are pretty clean water. We find good water in those sections even on the weekends :) It is all fresh water as well. The "dirtier" water is like Troy said mostly sediment and mostly only seen during times of heavy run off. The Sac River, San Joaquin river, Molkulomne River and some others all flow through the delta bringing with it plenty of fresh clean water. Remember, the delta has over 1200 miles to it. In 8 years of riding/Jet Skiing out there I have never heard of ANYONE getting sick. But I do enjoy the rumors/sceptics.... it leaves some of the best butter out there a secret. :lol:

I have been going to the delta in the disco bay area for the past 20 years ( since I was 15 ), and have also never gotten sick, except the occasional sun or alcohol poisoning. Biggrin.gif

--Robert

And everyone talks about how busy it is out there... David is mostly houseboating mid week - there will be very few boats. He'll have the place to himself!

The big crusiers & ships are usually only found on the deep water channels - and you won't be there much with your houseboat - so no worries.

You'll have a great time - and as Stewart pointed out, get some input from Herman & Hellens on local anchorages... Then scout out in the boats from there. You'll have less traffic the further you get from Stockton and the Bay Area -

You may want to head to Paradise Point Marina (which is a short jaunt from Helen & Hermans). There is a great hole in the wall Caribbean restaurant there called the Breadfruit Tree. I would highly recommend the Jerk Chicken if you like spicy food. Also, the Red Stripe is really cold!