Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gonna ask a stupid question.

tn_rider

Pretty hard to keep up with the name changes and HP changes, I often wonder if they actually changed or just an advertizing gimmick. In the 2001 brochure it says the 01 Sunsetter was a Monsoon engine, but 325HP not the 340 the newer Monsoons are. I think they advertised every HP number in increments of 10HP from 290 to 340 at one point or another over the years for the LCR/Monsoon 350 CI motor. I just tell people its a 350 Chevy, most say "wow, how fast does that go!" then you gota try to explain why its not very fast and slower then a most I/O!!

Edited by mainekneeboarder

right... what does the plastic shroud on top say? LCR or Monsoon?

So then I would ID it as "Indmar LCR 5.7L" or "Indmar Monsoon 5.7L"

BTW the jump from 320 to 330 on the LCR was pure badge engineering.

Alright I just gained 10hp

right... what does the plastic shroud on top say? LCR or Monsoon?

So then I would ID it as "Indmar LCR 5.7L" or "Indmar Monsoon 5.7L"

BTW the jump from 320 to 330 on the LCR was pure badge engineering.

Yea, I imagine there wasn't much real performance increase on the LCR.

Suppose it's the same for the Monsoon? I think it's gone from 320 hp, to 330, to 340 & now 350 hp. It looks different, but who knows if there is any real difference. Maybe just improvements with the fuel & ignition systems?

98%20Malibu%20engine.JPG

2006-Malibu-Wakesetter-VLX-BlackGrey-038

in-board-engine-gasoline-300-400-hp-2215

No 350 haters yet?

Man.....slow night.

I don't hate it at all. If I had to do it again would I get it again? Nope. But I can't complain too much. It planes my boat off looking like this.

post-18128-14287712262214_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldnt take much more than the wake from a ballasted canoe to swamp that boat.

We never run that heavy unless it's during the week or nobody is out. I try to be as safe as possible. I know I'm responsible for my passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I imagine there wasn't much real performance increase on the LCR.

Suppose it's the same for the Monsoon? I think it's gone from 320 hp, to 330, to 340 & now 350 hp. It looks different, but who knows if there is any real difference. Maybe just improvements with the fuel & ignition systems?

98%20Malibu%20engine.JPG

2006-Malibu-Wakesetter-VLX-BlackGrey-038

in-board-engine-gasoline-300-400-hp-2215

A couple very real differences between the LCR and monsoon. The induction system and exhaust system for sure.

However Shawn and I were talking about the increases in horsepower from older LCR to newer LCR or the HP gains in the older Monsoon VS the new Monsoon.

For example the 320 LCR VS the 330 LCR. Or the 340 monsoon VS the 350 monsoon.

In other words I do believe in the difference between the 330/350 or the 320/340.

Indmar 320HP LCR 350ci EFI
Indmar 340HP Monsoon 350ci EFI
Indmar 400HP Hammerhead 383ci EFI
Indmar 425HP Vortec 8100 496ci EFI

Engines for 2007.

the 320 has the plastic cover IIRC

The monsoon had the metal upper plenum. I believe the hammerhead shares the same plenum but that is a 383. Maybe someone can clarify.

I'm sure you've gotten more than enough responses already, but hey i'll throw another one on.

Most call it the 350 because that's the "common name" of the motor since that's the displacement. These motors are super common and get run in "go fast" cars all the time. In my mind, referring to an engine in terms like "monsoon" or "hammerhead" is all silly boat marketing lingo. Although I don't deserve the designation I'd rather SOUND like a gear head than use some term invented by a dress shirt behind a desk based on the best "market response".

If someone asked what motor you had you could respond with:

"A 350 rated at 330 hp"

We should have a thread to come up with the "best" engine name for the dressed shirts to make their life easier next time.

I'm sure you've gotten more than enough responses already, but hey i'll throw another one on.

Most call it the 350 because that's the "common name" of the motor since that's the displacement. These motors are super common and get run in "go fast" cars all the time. In my mind, referring to an engine in terms like "monsoon" or "hammerhead" is all silly boat marketing lingo. Although I don't deserve the designation I'd rather SOUND like a gear head than use some term invented by a dress shirt behind a desk based on the best "market response".

If someone asked what motor you had you could respond with:

"A 350 rated at 330 hp"

We should have a thread to come up with the "best" engine name for the dressed shirts to make their life easier next time.

I agree 100%. To screw everything up more, they now call the entire series of engines the 'monsoon'. So a current model monsoon no longer tells you which motor it really is. It used to mean the monsoon was the 5.7L engine which is 350 Cubic inches.

They should name the engines after fishes. Start at like Clown Fish (that would be a 6 cyl not really available but on the brochure for profiling purposes) up through "Great White with Bionic Fins and Laserbeams for Eyes". I want that one....