Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing beast

spikew919

I don't think they ever made this configuration factory but i know there was kits available to convert them to longbed.

. That's my fathers 08, bought it new , and frame extended 18" and still retained factory warranty. Those Alcoa 22.5 wheels and 4" lift made it not look so long. Pull our 40' toy hauler with it. It's a beast. Straight pipe exhaust and programmed CPU to the max. Love to hear that turbo whistle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what's the tow capacity and mpg?

believe it or not. It gets 12.5 towing a 20,000lb camper loaded. But pulling my dozier on my 30' it gets 10 mpg, but that's 30,000lb but my lifted 1 ton duramx also gets that pulling it. Where this thing shines tho is unloaded it get 19 city and have gotten 22 on the highway. I think actual tow rating was like 27,000 in 08, my 2015 is actually 30,000lbs.

There are a few upfitters that will stretch the frame to do the 8' bed on the megacab. One of the more popular is out of Utah. A number of guys on the Cummins Forum talk abuot them.

I would be REAL surprised if they got more than 10 MPG towing, unless you were always flat, or down hill, and towing 55 MPH or slower. I have a 2012 Ram long bed that gets around 8.5 towing my rv & boat tandem at 65 - 70 MPH. My 2012 tow rating is just under 20,000 pounds, and that was the highest available for a 4x4 DRW truck. The higher capacities are limited to regular cab 4x2.

RAM updated their frame in 2013, and the new tow capacities are just under 30,000 pounds "properly equiped". Not sure I would ever want to tow that much weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a few upfitters that will stretch the frame to do the 8' bed on the megacab. One of the more popular is out of Utah. A number of guys on the Cummins Forum talk abuot them.

I would be REAL surprised if they got more than 10 MPG towing, unless you were always flat, or down hill, and towing 55 MPH or slower. I have a 2012 Ram long bed that gets around 8.5 towing my rv & boat tandem at 65 - 70 MPH. My 2012 tow rating is just under 20,000 pounds, and that was the highest available for a 4x4 DRW truck. The higher capacities are limited to regular cab 4x2.

RAM updated their frame in 2013, and the new tow capacities are just under 30,000 pounds "properly equiped". Not sure I would ever want to tow that much weight.

you must have stock def system on yours? You would be surprised at the difference when you let that thing breath. Heck my 99 dodge quad can 3500 4x4 5 speed with 4.10 gears bone stock got 8.5 to 9 pulling a caterpillar d5clgp dozier on a my trailer that weighs 6500lbs. So total was 29,500 with dozier full of fuel. Always have trailer brakes, good ones. Lol

2012 was the last year that RAM did not use DEF, so MPG is lower. That said, my prior truck was a 2003 QCSB 4x4 with NV5600 and 4.10. It did much better MPG solo than the current truck, but towing MPG was about the same.

2012 was the last year that RAM did not use DEF, so MPG is lower. That said, my prior truck was a 2003 QCSB 4x4 with NV5600 and 4.10. It did much better MPG solo than the current truck, but towing MPG was about the same.

no mods? Dpf delete or anything? Seriously woke that 08 up when deleted everything and programmed it.

On my last truck, I ran a Smarty JR. Loved the way it changed the way the truck ran.

But that truck was 305/555 stock. The new truck is 350/800. Plenty of power.

The EPA is cracking down on the companies that facilitate the removal of smog equipment, and Colorado is a state that requires emissions testing. Add that to the fact that I have a hard time spending $65000 + on a new vehicle and voiding the warranty.

Guess that is a long way of saying that deletes aren't for me.

post-25316-14288459865613_thumb.jpg this is my newest addition, I never delete before warranty up but I put 100,000 miles a year on one on average. This 2015 will get the full work up about December.

Which tuner do you like? My truck will be out of warranty after this year...

. Absolute best is efi live it's not really a tuner but allows you tge to see every parameter of the engine and even the tranny on a laptop and set to desired levels. But whoever you buy the efi from will give you proven custom tunes that you can use to kinda have and idea or you can stay with that. I use it for my Duramax, and in last few years they have added dodge to the CPUs that they can open and reprogram. And you can do as many vehicles you want, you just have to purchase a unlock for each vin, but it comes with 2 so you can do 2 right off the bat. Search efilive and see what you think.

. Absolute best is efi live it's not really a tuner but allows you tge to see every parameter of the engine and even the tranny on a laptop and set to desired levels. But whoever you buy the efi from will give you proven custom tunes that you can use to kinda have and idea or you can stay with that. I use it for my Duramax, and in last few years they have added dodge to the CPUs that they can open and reprogram. And you can do as many vehicles you want, you just have to purchase a unlock for each vin, but it comes with 2 so you can do 2 right off the bat. Search efilive and see what you think.

I've been doing a fair amount of reading on this lately. Can you change tunes on the fly with efi live?

I've been doing a fair amount of reading on this lately. Can you change tunes on the fly with efi live?

. Yes for Duramax it's a dsp5 switch which allows 5 different tunes you can change at the twist of a switch you mount in the cab wherever you like. For cummins its a csp5 and same deal. They haven't released it for 2013-15 but think they have 2012 down. Go to cumminstuner.com and check it out

Nice looking ride. What do you do that puts 100k on the clock each year?

thanks,I have a small costruction business and service and guage oilwells around my area, 7 days a week 365 days a year.