Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Boatmate trailer calipers

Rohanking1

I have a 2006 Response XLI on a 2005 Boatmate single axle trailer (model 2110001) here in Melbourne, Australia. After issues with sorting the brakes (water in lines) I have one calliper that is not releasing properly (pinching disc and overheating it) and the other looks little better. I would be grateful for any advice on where I can source parts such as a full set of callipers / pads that I can get freighted to me and I can then swap in / out to sort the issue. I have sent an enquiry to Boatmate but noting the extensive of knowledge I see in this great site I suspect there might be many more suggestions. With thanks.

Here is my suggestion since no one else has any input. The guys at boatmate are extremely helpful. I would call them direct. While I know it may be difficult with you in Austraila with the time difference and all , it may be worth the time. They are open from 8-4:30 Eastern standard time. The guys in parts/customer service are very very very helpful. Their number is 865-273-1100. I am sure they can help you troubleshoot and will ship you the parts. Sometimes talking through it on the phone can help more than an email. Just be sure to have all the important info from the trailer such as the VIN number. HOPE THIS HELPS!!! Good luck.

The quickest way to get it fixed is to go online and order the whole assembly and I would do both. I had the same issue last summer with one locking up. I ordered the whole assembly for @ $65.00 U.S. delivered. I would think some place down under down there should be able to take care of you. Going to BM will eventually work, but why wait or pay w "BM" price for a generic piece. I believe o went to trailerpartsonline or something similar. They have pretty much anything you need to fix the brakes including parts for the lame a.. Fulton trailer jack!

Found these guys in brisbane who stock US trailer brake parts

http://www.trailersparesdirect.com.au/american-brake-parts/

Would be inclined to just replace the calipers rather than try to rebuild.

I found in a trip from BNE to Burrinjuck Dam near Yass back in Jan 2014 during some of those 44 deg. C days the oil in the shock absorber inside the override coupling lost its effectiveness.

On the concrete portions of the Hume highway, the trailer was surging through the bouncing.

Found the trailer dragging & pulled over.

The discs, all 4 were blue from the heat.

Put the lock out in place & continued about 10 min up the road to a rest stop, the hubs had cooled to the point I could easily hold them as they had dissipated all the heat.

Replaced the coupling & installed an actuator so the brakes only work when needed.

Have not had a problem since.

Like the Boatmate or most US trailers over the Easytow over ride trailers.

Mainly as under 2000kg, all easy tow are required to supply is over ride brakes on one axle & the mechanicle disc brakes is all they use.

Your hydraulic set up when working will have better stopping power

Andrew great advice with thanks. Have some things coming in from states for this event (swap in / swap out as you suggest).

This will be a good option for the future.

I am going to service myself, have you found any "friendly" options here to get mechanical parts?

I am going to service myself, have you found any "friendly" options here to get mechanical parts?

General parts such as thermostats, impellers, distributor caps & rotors, just saved them up & ordered spares with a Bakes order.

Once you pay the freight, adding extras of these type of small parts makes little difference to the shipping.

Also added one of those brass hand operated suction pumps for the transmission oil as they were only about $24 USD.

Worth the bulk buy as the price difference to local is noticeable.

Plugs on eBay from US, picked up a set of 8 of the ACDelco Iridium 41-101 for just under $100 USD shipped to AU.

Locally they wanted close to $30 ea plug for an equivilant Iridium plug

Oil & filters just locally, use the WIX 57099 short or the 51069 long oil filters.

Filtermax @ Albury are a good source & ship.

I found if I remove the impeller at the end of the season & store in a zip lock bag tied to the steering wheel.

1 you won't miss it next time out

2 you will get a few seasons out of it.

As far as any trouble shooting the TMC can't sort out for you, any other U.S. Boat company in MLB will be happy to service or repair your boat, it is just more income the AU Malibu dealers don't want.

They may stil have to get some Malibu unique parts from the U.S.

I recently had the MTC screen go on me, set me back $2400 USD shipped, that hurt.

All in all, should not have any major troubles sourcing parts for general servicing locally

Edited by Andrew63

If the calipers are locking, make sure it isn't your actuator on the tongue. My disc brakes on my last trailer would lock, but simply releasing the pressure by opening the bleed port on the caliper allowed them to release. By getting water into the main actuator, it rusted the shaft and it was hanging up and holding pressure on the calipers. Before replacing the calipers, look into that actuator.