Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any experience with Hurricane Sunbrella cover from Overtons?

Chef23

They are on sale for $450 right now. I would like to get a cover that fits tight and doesn't pool water. I am considering this and a Rankin at the moment.

Thanks

Sunbrella fabric is great...highly waterproof, tough, still looks good after several years and breathable. It has been my experience that to prevent pooling, you need poles or a PVC framework underneath. I use PVC in rear of boat and a pole in the bow.

Edited by DNA'er

I got one this year and it's sooo much nicer than my factory cover, even though that one was Sunbrella also. Well worth that price. I recommend getting one that covers the platform. Mine was a great fit and protects the transom nicely. Not for trailering, but I don't do that anyway.

I got one this year and it's sooo much nicer than my factory cover, even though that one was Sunbrella also. Well worth that price. I recommend getting one that covers the platform. Mine was a great fit and protects the transom nicely. Not for trailering, but I don't do that anyway.

My boat is in the water for the season and the platform sits in the water. I think getting one that the cover would get trashed sitting in the water all the time.

How tightly does your cover fit the boat. Do you still need supports with it?

Edited by Chef23

Hmmm. I guess if the platform's actually in the water, you may have a problem. The over-the-platform model goes over the back of the teak, and under it a few inches. It's just kinda nice, since it protects the wood and the entire transom. I'm pretty sure that all the Overton's custom fit covers are available with and without the platform option.

I've found that I don't have to tie this one down as tightly as my original factory cover to prevent pooling. It covers down the sides of the boat a bit further. I just use one of those webbing things (also available from Overton's) that attaches from the bow to the transom & gives you a spine to hold the cover up. The tie down kit that comes with the cover is great for looping around the trailer - any thoughts as to how you might tie down the cover on the water?

Hmmm. I guess if the platform's actually in the water, you may have a problem. The over-the-platform model goes over the back of the teak, and under it a few inches. It's just kinda nice, since it protects the wood and the entire transom. I'm pretty sure that all the Overton's custom fit covers are available with and without the platform option.

I've found that I don't have to tie this one down as tightly as my original factory cover to prevent pooling. It covers down the sides of the boat a bit further. I just use one of those webbing things (also available from Overton's) that attaches from the bow to the transom & gives you a spine to hold the cover up. The tie down kit that comes with the cover is great for looping around the trailer - any thoughts as to how you might tie down the cover on the water?

Based on the fact that it straps to the trailer it doesn't sound like it is designed to be used as a mooring cover. I have a couple of snaps on each side of my boat to fasten the cover to. I would have to put snaps on the cover but I could use those.

The Rankin which I am also considering seems to have hooks that connect to the rub rail.