Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Load Index...tell me a little

Afun

B 4 ply would be mean regular capacity tire at recommended tire pressure, correct?

E 10 ply is stiffer and will carry more load, but will be less desirable when not towing, correct?

Trying to find the sweet spot

B 4 ply would be mean regular capacity tire at recommended tire pressure, correct?

E 10 ply is stiffer and will carry more load, but will be less desirable when not towing, correct?

Trying to find the sweet spot

Sweet spot for what? What are the tires for? A B rated tire is used for things like small utility trailers and snowmobile trailers. A Malibu trailer is going to have a C or D rated tire stock. (Maybe even an E on the big boats)

Edited by oldjeep

Sweet spot for what? What are the tires for? A B rated tire is used for things like small utility trailers and snowmobile trailers. A Malibu trailer is going to have a C or D rated tire stock.

I see a bunch LT truck tires rated B (4 ply)....I am referring to truck tires to clarify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An LT tire shouldn't be rated B, not saying they aren't out there, but definitely not what you want for a heavy load. If this is for your rocket truck and you are only towing the boat, a P rated truck tire will work fine.

I see a bunch LT truck tires rated B (4 ply)....I am referring to truck tires to clarify

LT tires are C/D/E you might find an oddball B somewhere.

P rated tires also commonly come on 1/2 tons

I'm seeing 4 Ply B on Mickey Thompson All Terrain tires....do these value mean different things depending on Brand and actual tire? 4 Ply not really Oddball

A link would help. SOunds like you are looking at ATV tires. Although Plys don't = load rating. Lots of offroad radials are only 3 ply.

Load range, max load and service description are the 3 things that tell you about the load rating

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaATZP3

Edited by oldjeep

An LT tire shouldn't be rated B, not saying they aren't out there, but definitely not what you want for a heavy load. If this is for your rocket truck and you are only towing the boat, a P rated truck tire will work fine.

P Rated Stronger than B 4 (Ply) LT tire? Don't you consider the Malibu a heavy load? Trying to avoid the purchase of E 10 Ply tires....cost and they ride hard. Don't feel like taking air and putting air just for towing.

P Rated Stronger than B 4 (Ply) LT tire? Don't you consider the Malibu a heavy load? Trying to avoid the purchase of E 10 Ply tires....cost and they ride hard. Don't feel like taking air and putting air just for towing.

Link the tire you are looking at so we can see what you are talking about. B rated LT tire is not a thing. E tire on a 1/2 ton would be overkill. Aside from that Mickey Thompson doesn't really make any tires I would use for towing, curious what you are looking at. Their tires tend to have a soft compound that wears quickly, used to run MTZ's on one of my jeeps.

245/70/17 Mickey Thompson STZ (Only 4 Ply) they advertise pulling a boat with these tires or Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 (available in two load capacities) B 4 Ply and E 10 Ply

Well, tire rack doesn't sell Mickeys - but the Revos are one of the worst tires in their category, especially in terms of tread wear

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT&width=245%2F&ratio=70&diameter=17&tireSearch=true&filter=y

As for the load rating, forget about the 4 ply/10 ply and look at the weight that they are rated to carry - decide what you need based on what your truck is rated for and if you think you need more.

In terms of the Mickeys - The P rated are 2337 and they don't show an E rated tire in that size on Mickeys site

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaSTZ

No I don't consider the Malibu a heavy load. P series tires would be fine. What did your truck come with from the factory for the rated tow rating? I bet it wasn't LT's. You can run what you want, imo LT tires aren't necessary and will ride harsh as you said.

No I don't consider the Malibu a heavy load. P series tires would be fine. What did your truck come with from the factory for the rated tow rating? I bet it wasn't LT's. You can run what you want, imo LT tires aren't necessary and will ride harsh as you said.

Ok...so a P series tire with load index of 108 = 2205 lbs B 4 Ply....is OK

Truck did not come with LT's. Just changing up the look a bit and trying to get some tires that work to tow the BU'.

Ok...so a P series tire with load index of 108 = 2205 lbs B 4 Ply....is OK

Truck did not come with LT's. Just changing up the look a bit and trying to get some tires that work to tow the BU'.

The tires that come on the boatmate trailers has a load rating of less than that. I think 104 or 106, 1974 lbs if i remember correctly

The tires that come on the boatmate trailers has a load rating of less than that. I think 104 or 106, 1974 lbs if i remember correctly

So you agree that's all I need?

Personally I think that tire combo will roll around a bit. That tire size has a fare amount of sidewall to flex. Its not going to be terrible but noticeable! How often/far are you towing? If just towing a few miles should be fine, if towing distances at high speeds I'd look for something stiffer.

So you agree that's all I need?

Yes, you should be fine. Everything has tradeoffs. In this case you gain better ride empty, but will have a bit more sway when towing.

The factory trailer tires are sports car tires. They are not "designed" for trailers, but they work just fine, and i would say most of us on here order those with our boat.

Edited by DarkSide