Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

EXILE Bluetooth has arrived!

bcf2003

Can someone please dumb this down for me. I have a 2012 VLX with maliview 3 Rockford amps and I'm guessing what is called a blackbox mounted to the left of my amps under cockpit area. How do I hook this up. I was told to wire it straight to head unit. There are no aux port at the back of my Rockford headunit, just one wire out of the back. Please help. It can't be but too hard but when playing around with this type of boat I do not want to screw something up. Thanks everyone 

8 hours ago, 12VLXSETTER said:

Can someone please dumb this down for me. I have a 2012 VLX with maliview 3 Rockford amps and I'm guessing what is called a blackbox mounted to the left of my amps under cockpit area. How do I hook this up. I was told to wire it straight to head unit. There are no aux port at the back of my Rockford headunit, just one wire out of the back. Please help. It can't be but too hard but when playing around with this type of boat I do not want to screw something up. Thanks everyone 

What you are thinking is the head-unit, is basically a glorified wired remote for the head-unit. The actual head-unit (brain) is that black box to the left of the amp. Thats where you will find the AUX input and all the other necessary connections. 

Also, I dont suggest the above linked wiring method. That blue turn is not A) intended to be a clean 12V source for components in the signal path, like a blue tooth receiver, B) not intended to power devices, but simply trigger them to wake up with a low current voltage signal. If you dont want a blue tooth on all the time, im sure the manufacturer or your retailer would be happy to provide a custom diagram showing how to use a relay. 

ahopkins22LSV

Good point @MLA.

So wouldn't connecting the BT power to the black box power turn it on and off with the boat though? Because when the boat is off, the black box doesn't stay powered right? Trying to think through this since I haven't installed mine yet either.

Thats correct. If the BT is also sharing the same B+ and B- as the head-unit amps, it will be powered off when the main battery switch is off. Yes, it will be powered up all the time when the boat is in use, but how many hours is the battery switch and the stereo is not? I have no issue with a BT being on when the boat is on, but it can be wired to come on and go off along with the amps, using a good clean voltage source, if one wants.  

ahopkins22LSV

Cool! Thanks! The stereo is playing music 98% of the time of the boat being on anyway so that should work perfect.

(deleted my original post for anyone slightly confused reading the posts above)

• 5 weeks later...

Great forum here guys. Tons of information.

What is the opinion of the Exile BT units vs. Any of the JL Audio marine BT units (MBT-RX and MBT-CRX, obvious differnces aside)? All have Bluetooth v4.0 and the aptX codec.

There are only minor differences between the two brands (JL Audio and Exile) in BT units. Mostly cosmetic. The technology and performance is identical. Same manufacturer designed and built these. Both work very well. I like these BT units running into an EQ, zone controller, line amp controller, or a single pair of amplifier inputs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard the range can vary with different Bluetooth units.  Exile says 100 foot range and I have found that to be pretty close. I am really happy with the Exile unit.  I hooked the power up to one of my amps (blue amp input wire for + and black amp wire for ground) and don't have any engine noise. I ran a cable from the RCA audio output into the glove box and plug that into the aux input whenever I want to use the Bluetooth as a source. 

Kris

I figured I would add to this forum rather than create a whole new (nearly identical) forum.

My JL AUDIO BT Has Arrived!!

uc?export=view&id=0B9tZtXTMLMYkNDBVY0p0S

Man is this thing sexy. I got the MBT-CRX receiver from Crutchfield.com. I installed it underneath my dash and located it right above my depth finder. It was tight fit with the mounting plate provided in the box. At this moment I'm assuming we are going to be 95% BT users while on the boat. This location gives me the controls at the helm, and whom ever has their phone connected will have control as well.

uc?export=view&id=0B9tZtXTMLMYkdGpUdG4tb

uc?export=view&id=0B9tZtXTMLMYkNEpoUU5BV

I plugged the two RCA cables out of the JL Audio BT directly into my head unit (Alpine CDA-9883 - Had to buy a special adapter, the KCA-121B). This provided a cheap and easy BT auxiliary input into my HU. Alpine sells a separate BT antenna, but I wanted all the specs the Exile/JL Audio BTs had . I wired my red wire (+12 V) and black wire (ground) straight to the stereo switch on the dash. This way the stereo switch rules-them-all when it comes to powering down and eliminates any chance of accidentally leaving the BT on after hitting the stereo switch off. I still have to hit the BT Power button when turning the BT on, which is annoying - but, again it's positive control of the unit.

I would like some clarification from some of you "experts" out there in 'BuCrew land. The JL Audio BT MBT-CRX receiver had two additional wires that I did not use. One wire was a remote input wire that could be optionally connected to the head-unit. The other wire was a remote output wire that could be optionally connected to the Amp. My question is, what is the functionality of these wires, and with that functionality, what is the proper installation of these two wires?

The JL Audio BT unit is just giving you more integration options for a variety of applications. Usually when the BT unit is connected to a HU Aux input then you would use the HU remote turn-on lead to automatically power the BT On/Off. This would defeat the manual power button on the BT face. If using the BT unit directly to an EQ input (since most EQs have no turn-on out), or if running directly into an amplifier on an ATV/UTV, then the alternate switched power option is used. In the later case, the BT unit turn-on lead out could be used to trigger On/Off an amplifier, or EQ, or both.       

That makes sense.

If I wanted to tie the remote power wire of the JL Audio BT to the HU, what wire do I tie into coming from the HU wire bundle? I understand that the Red and Black wires would still be tied to constant 12V and ground wires. This remote power wire is a low power (low amp) line that simply indicates power on/off to the BT. 

In this case, I am not sure how my amp is powered/wired so I'm not going to allow my BT to indicated power out to the amp. Now that I think about it, my amp is probably tied to the same wire coming from the HU to indicate it to power up. This would be the same wire from the HU that I would need to tie into my JL Audio remote power wire to. Correct?

• 3 years later...
On 6/3/2016 at 7:51 AM, BSUBU_Kris said:

I have heard the range can vary with different Bluetooth units.  Exile says 100 foot range and I have found that to be pretty close. I am really happy with the Exile unit.  I hooked the power up to one of my amps (blue amp input wire for + and black amp wire for ground) and don't have any engine noise. I ran a cable from the RCA audio output into the glove box and plug that into the aux input whenever I want to use the Bluetooth as a source. 

Kris

Any chance you can post or send me pics on how you did this

10 hours ago, prwkbrder said:

Any buddy have pics on how to install this, I have a 2011 lsv with the stock Rockford system, amps, sub, and tower speakers. 

Do you want pictures of the JL Audio BT install? Or the Exile Bluetooth. I can take some pictures of my JL Audio install tonight and add them for you. What are you looking for in particular?

22 hours ago, prwkbrder said:

Any buddy have pics on how to install this, I have a 2011 lsv with the stock Rockford system, amps, sub, and tower speakers. 

I installed one in my 08  lsv and not sure the black box is same on an 11 but used Bake online resource library when I did mine and here’s a diagram from it.

From the diagram you will use the aux leads labeled “D”. When I did mine it had RCA jacks already connected to it from the input in the glove box. Discount those, hook it up like it’s been described above and you’re good to go. If you need pics I could probably get some tomorrow night. Love the blue tooth and the ability to change songs without getting in the glove box every time.

C9D3234F-46AA-4196-ADA4-3CF1FE5710B0.thumb.png.1de97f4b31d37a62b095947dae33a141.png

Mine is hooked up to the amp closest to the black box for power (remote turn-on lead and black ground).  I got an RCA to 3mm cable and ran the 3mm male plug end into the glove box.  I left the Aux input in the glove box connected to the Black Box.    I generally always have the BT 3mm cable plugged into the Aux input but on occasion will use the Aux input to directly plug a phone into the Black Box.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:04 AM, lukehartwig said:

Do you want pictures of the JL Audio BT install? Or the Exile Bluetooth. I can take some pictures of my JL Audio install tonight and add them for you. What are you looking for in particular?

Sure yea anything helps

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, prwkbrder said:

Ok thanks, I see I have to be a support member to upload a pic. Now I see why there is not a lot of pics in these forums. Bummer,

You can use a free image hosting site, but if you become a member you not only can upload pictures directly from your phone or laptop but it unlocks discounts to multiple online retailers that you can and probably already order stuff from that will easily make your membership fee back. See more information about our membership here:

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/supporttmc.html/