Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil extractor tube stuck in dipstick tube

I was changing my oil and the tube got stuck in the dipstick tube. I twisted and pulled and the hose broke off. I think it fell in the oil pan because my dipstick went back down very easily. Is it ok to run the boat if a piece of the tube is down there?

Ah Man! I knew I wouldn't be the last one. Let me find my thread from last year. Stand by...

Found It.

Botched Oil Change.

Here is the aftermath. It ended up on the bottom of the pan after I drained all the oil. I did not want to take any chances on a brand new motor that had less than 20 hours on it.

IMG_2210_zpshzqa2bwa.jpg
IMG_2215_zps08d1dq5p.jpg
Edited by Clutch-n-Throttle
  • Like 2

Question: Do you have to align the engine again when you put it back in or just bolt it down?

It was already aligned. Once I instaled the engine, I just bolted it down

Defiantly don't want to run the motor, you'll have that tube wrapped inside the crank and cause catastrophic engine damage. Main bearing melt down should

the plastic get into there, which it will if run!

Sorry to here. :( Follow Clutches lead.The least expensive way to go.

I wouldn't be losing sleep over it.

It's a bit of plastic. All the other bits flogging around in there are big, butch bits of steel, iron or aluminium. They will win in the event that any of the plastic gets lifted up into the path of the crank, rods etc.

The only way any bits of plastic can get into the oil reticulation system and potentially compromise any force lubricated components is to first get through the pick up strainer in the pan, then get through the oil pump (at which time they would be well pulverised), and get through the oil filter.

Someone may have some experience or knowledge of stuff getting through a strainer and into the lube system but seems unlikely to me.

That said, since I'm just a burnt out old sparky, the above isn't probably even 0.01c worth...!

• Like 2

It is not okay to run the engine with the remains of your oil extractor tube in your oil pan. Remove it now with a functional engine, or remove it later with a non functional engine.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Well I wish I would have read this a little bit sooner. I have the exact same issue but I did not break the tube off in the oil pan. I was able to remove the dipstick tube but the Teflon Probe is still stuck in the oil pan. I am trying to figure out how I can remove the tube without breaking it off in the oil pan and having to pull the motor. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have good access to the oil pan where the probe is so I was thinking I could go after it with a straightened metal coat hanger and get it out that way but after that I am kind of out of ideas.

just start pulling and rotating and see what happens. Boggles the mind that so many people try to drain through the dipstick.

and fwiw, if a piece did break off I sure wouldn't lose any sleep about it being in there.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
24 minutes ago, jtight7 said:

Well I wish I would have read this a little bit sooner. I have the exact same issue but I did not break the tube off in the oil pan. I was able to remove the dipstick tube but the Teflon Probe is still stuck in the oil pan. I am trying to figure out how I can remove the tube without breaking it off in the oil pan and having to pull the motor. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have good access to the oil pan where the probe is so I was thinking I could go after it with a straightened metal coat hanger and get it out that way but after that I am kind of out of ideas.

Check out @Clutch-n-Throttle thread botched oil change.  I was able to get mine out without breaking it off and I outlined it in that thread.  Let me know if you have any questions.

On 4/4/2015 at 10:26 PM, Clutch-n-Throttle said:

Ah Man! I knew I wouldn't be the last one. Let me find my thread from last year. Stand by...

Found It.

Botched Oil Change.

On Saturday, April 04, 2015 at 10:53 PM, DocPhil said:

Question: Do you have to align the engine again when you put it back in or just bolt it down?

You need to check the alignment. The chances of just dropping it back in and getting it within .003" of where it was before are pretty slim.

Just now, Engine Nut said:

You need to check the alignment. The chances of just dropping it back in and getting it within .003" of where it was before are pretty slim.

Even if the transmission was never moved? 

Yes, at least I would check it. We are talking about a pretty small tolerance here.  If you pulled the engine and left the trans supported by the mounts and the prop shaft, chances are that it moved or put some stress on the flanges. You still have the engine mounts to contend with.

Thanks.  I was asking for future reference for myself or any other members.   

When I replaced my engine, I was able to remove and reinstall with out loosening the transmission mounts.  I did have the local dealership check the alignment when then set the timing.  This past summer the ride plate let go and took out the bell housing as well, after replacing both of them and once the transmission was reinstalled I had the alignment checked again and it was just barely off.  Glad I had it checked to prevent ant future problems.     

1 hour ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Check out @Clutch-n-Throttle thread botched oil change.  I was able to get mine out without breaking it off and I outlined it in that thread.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the response blk93jeepzj. I'll see what I come up with tonight and update with any progress.

Edited by jtight7

I worked on getting the probe out last night and I finally got it and based on the length that I pulled out, there is a 1.5" piece stuck in the oil pan. Has anyone been able to successfully drop the oil pan without pulling the motor? If so, what are certain things that I should look out for?

On 5/11/2016 at 7:57 AM, oldjeep said:

Boggles the mind that so many people try to drain through the dipstick.

My thoughts exactly, unless Malibu does not provide the drain hose on the oil pan anymore.  If not, shame on them!

47 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

My thoughts exactly, unless Malibu does not provide the drain hose on the oil pan anymore.  If not, shame on them!

The new boats should all have them.  The 2004 response lxi that I take care of did not so I always pulled the pan plug and drained through the middle plug hole until I added a drain hose to it a couple years ago.

1 hour ago, jtight7 said:

I worked on getting the probe out last night and I finally got it and based on the length that I pulled out, there is a 1.5" piece stuck in the oil pan. Has anyone been able to successfully drop the oil pan without pulling the motor? If so, what are certain things that I should look out for?

There is almost no way you are going to get that pan resealed correctly trying to drop it the couple inches that are available inside the boat and then dealing with the gasket replacement and reinstall. 

If it were my boat I'd leave the little piece in there and forget about it.  I've pulled way worse out of the pans of working engines.

I called around to several different dealerships this morning and contacted Indmar and they pretty much said the same thing, that it is not worth pulling the motor and that it should be fine. Thanks for the help and advice on this. I already purchased a tube for the drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan. Never going to go through this again just wish I would have thought about this sooner or done more research.

29 minutes ago, jtight7 said:

I called around to several different dealerships this morning and contacted Indmar and they pretty much said the same thing, that it is not worth pulling the motor and that it should be fine. Thanks for the help and advice on this. I already purchased a tube for the drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan. Never going to go through this again just wish I would have thought about this sooner or done more research.

Get a doctor's note from Indmar so if it causes a problem in the future you can have them get you a new motor!

18 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

Get a doctor's note from Indmar so if it causes a problem in the future you can have them get you a new motor!

Yea, right, you wish.

I can't see it effecting much anyway.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to follow up and conclude this topic with the solution that I used. Like I mentioned, I was able to remove dipstick tube and a piece of the Teflon fell into the oil pan. I rolled the dice and left it in the oil pan because it was about $2500 to pull the motor. When I tried to put the original dipstick tube back in it was bent to hell from me trying to get it out. I found a flexible dipstick tube from Lokar. There was a perfect match but the lead time on that specific part number was three weeks. I found the same type from Lokar that was about 6" shorter on amazon and have had it in for about a week. I periodically checked the level over the weekend and it was reading correctly. Refer to the link below to the part I order off of amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CORQ3I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and here is the one that is longer version of the same type

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/ED-5001-24/10002/-1

I was able to remove of the Teflon tube on the oil extractor and found that it fits the oil pan drain hose perfectly. So I'm able to change the oil in about 5 min and save about $120 each time. Hope this helps and prevents anyone from making the same rookie mistake I did!