Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sportster LX and a ECI Boom Question

rushman

I have an ECI Aggressor boom that I use on my '03 Malibu Sportster. The boom was purchased from the dealer with my boat when had just said to him "I need a barefoot boom" and I never investigated different booms (and wish I had a bit). Essentially the boom is good and very well made but with the freeboard on my boat I cannot get enough adjustment to make the boom go nearly as high as I would like. When my daughter (8yrs) foots, I have to roll up a towel and use makeshift devices to get the boom high enough and I don't have the luxury of having lots of people in the boat to shift the weight around. The freeboard on my boat isn't that low and it seems like if the contour of the boom wasn't as steep (the "s" bend in it) ,it would be better. Plus the side spray when using shoe skis can hamper the practicing of surface turns.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had the same problems? Putting stuff (like towels) between the boom and the gunnel is a pain. Do you think I could straighten out that 's' bend to lengthen and give me more adjustment without weakening the boom? I really like the Bemmans booms Scarpa uses. Would they or a BI be any different on my Sportster. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can you rotate the clip 90 degrees so that the "S" bend is front to rear intead of bottom to top? Maybe you will need to drill the boom where the clip attaches to the boom. I had a Sportster and I used the "S" bend to move the boom to the rear, away from the windshield. I also hand a 2 feet extension that I bought when I had my CC SkiNautique, so I kept it on even when I changed to the Sportster, so maybe borrow one from a friend or buy one?

You can't rotate the boom, but you shouldn't need too.

I'm 5'8", 200 lbs and foot off a Sportster with both ECI's boom and Bemman's boom. Really no difference in height on either unless you get a straight boom, but I've never had the bracket on the floor unless we were playing around with hand-skiing.

Boom in skiing position should not be any higher than shoulders when up and running. If you don't have enough passengers to counter-act the driver's weight, add some blocks to get the boat level.

Hope that helps,

Peter

disclaimer : I don't subscribe to the Mike Siepel boom pointing to the moon style of skiing.

Is your boom on the driver's side? If so, try it on the passenger side, you will have more counter weight.

Peter and 1FootDan,

Thanks for your reply. I am 5'9" and with the boom at the floor, it is definitely not over my shoulders. I agree the Seipel height sounds crazy to me. I just hoped I could get it higher for my daughter. I thought about the weight thing on the passenger side but never thought of it again, until you mentioned it. I will try putting some weights on that side.

The side spray issue. Peter, is it a problem for you? An extension was mentioned. Does ECI make one?? Do you sell ECI booms Peter?? Or would weight on the passenger side help the side spray issue too?

Again thanks.

Kevin

Kevin,

ECI does not make any extensions, sorry. A level boat will help side spray, but I don't know if you are saying yours is level or not.

Peter

Kevin,

ECI does not make any extensions, sorry. A level boat will help side spray, but I don't know if you are saying yours is level or not.

Peter

Peter,

Probably not level due to just my wife driving, boom is on drivers side and just my 50 lbs daughter in the bow or observers seat. I will try to level it out with some weight. Probably don't need the extension, just thought I would ask. Thanks for your valued comments.

Kevin

Kevin,

Peter

Peter,

Probably not level due to just my wife driving, boom is on drivers side and just my 50 lbs daughter in the bow or observers seat. I will try to level it out with some weight. Probably don't need the extension, just thought I would ask. Thanks for your valued comments.

Kevin

Why don't you try your boom on passenger side?

Kevin,

Peter

Peter,

Kevin

Why don't you try your boom on passenger side?

I have tried it on that side but really do like it on the drivers side. I need it there when my daughter foots so I can coach and just don't want to switch back and forth. But maybe you're right it may be worth another try?? Old habits I guess.