Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do you guys do with the heavier boats? Hitch rating question on my F-150

That Guy

Maybe this isn't a problem people worry about and I haven't had this issue in the past with our current Malibu. However, we ordered a new boat and given the listed weight + tandem trailer + fuel + gear I'm sure we'll be well over 500lb TW/5000lbs that is listed on my hitch as the rating without a weight distributing hitch. With a WDH it says the I can go up to 1050lb TW/10,500lbs.

I don't think I've ever seen a WDH being used for a boat trailer, so what is everyone doing? Just not worrying about it and carrying on? Or can I remove my factory Class III hitch and replace it with a Class IV hitch rated to 1000TW/10,000lbs without a WDH? Is that ok to do?

Truck is a 2014 F-150 fyi.

Edited by That Guy

So the rating has NOTHING to do with the actual truck/mounting/etc but the physical hitch unit itself? Seems dumb to put a hitch that is of lower ability than to overbuild it. I'm finding Class IV hitches online for $150....I can't imagine the Class III on my truck is any cheaper. Argh. Well I guess if it's that simple....I can swap the hitch out in my driveway.

I know what you're saying.

Any hitch is just bolting to the same frame rails but, the beefier hitches are using much thicker steel.

Heck, my F250 SD OEM hitch tongue weight is only rated for 500# and it's a Super Duty. Where's the super in that tongue weight?

I know what you're saying.

Any hitch is just bolting to the same frame rails but, the beefier hitches are using much thicker steel.

Heck, my F250 SD OEM hitch tongue weight is only rated for 500# and it's a Super Duty. Where's the super in that tongue weight?

And buy 3 right? So that you can use 1, #2 is a backup, and #3 is your backups backup :biggrin:

• Like 2

Nate,

You may not have been on here long enough to hear the saying: "Pistol Pete has a back-up for his back-up".

Just this past weekend I was showing 2 crew members my home generator and my back-up home generator.

So the rating has NOTHING to do with the actual truck/mounting/etc but the physical hitch unit itself? Seems dumb to put a hitch that is of lower ability than to overbuild it. I'm finding Class IV hitches online for $150....I can't imagine the Class III on my truck is any cheaper. Argh. Well I guess if it's that simple....I can swap the hitch out in my driveway.

Just make sure you see one mounted on your truck type. The different brands will sometimes hang down way below the bumper rather that sit up nice and tight.

Has anyone had a hitch fail or seen a hitch fail? If so what was the result?

I've seen a couple bent drop receivers, both were huge drops to make up for stupidly lifted tow vehicles.

stuff like this - random internet picture

KEV035.jpg

Edited by oldjeep