Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Poly or Rubber Mud/Tow Flaps?

That Guy

I'm building my own version of the 'rock tamers' and just need to decide if I want to use poly or rubber mats for it.

I've never used mud flaps or this towing setup so figured I'd reach out the the crew for input.

I'm leaning towards towards the poly just because I'm worried about the rubber mats flying up on the highway and flapping against the trailer.

Weight isn't a concern as I'm building the mount out of aluminum and the poly mats are 4lbs each while the rubber mats are 5lbs each.

Poly mats....http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/james-king-242414bp/black-poly-mud-flap-antispray-1-4-x24-x24-p-jkc-242414bp

Rubber mats....http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/james-king-2424s/mud-flap-1-4-rubber-24-x24-p-jkc-2424s

Also, are 1/4" thick a good size or should I go thicker? What are you guys using?

-Matt

Edited by That Guy

A group of us did a GB a few years ago & had these made. I believe their a poly something, pretty stiff, don't blow up at 60 mph. I built this setup myself. Their hanging from the end of the frame rails on a pair of padlocks.

IMG_20140710_133803737_HDR_zpsslr7mgtv.j

You lucky dog! I saw that GB thread while searching and realized I'm just late on everything. Argh. Oh well, I'll probably just add a sticker or something to mine if I want to dress them up a bit.

That mounting setup looks interesting...can you provide more pictures? Maybe from underneath and what parts you used? I was just going to do the traditional angle iron across the hitch setup as it was simple and I've got everything needed but flaps.

Also, is your truck lowered or trailer lifted or something? It doesn't look like it given the wheel gap but it looks like your hitch is a riser vs a drop hitch and I've got to run a 2.5" drop on my truck so I wonder what's different between the two setups.

I'll probably order the poly ones, stiffer sounded better and it's still under $30 for 3 of them.

I don't know if this helps or not, but 18wheeler mud flaps are usually available at your local truck stop or diesel rig store for under $10 apiece. They are likely too big (tall) for your project but you can always cut 'em down.

I don't know if this helps or not, but 18wheeler mud flaps are usually available at your local truck stop or diesel rig store for under $10 apiece. They are likely too big (tall) for your project but you can always cut 'em down.

Thanks for the info. I figured as much and had called around to a few places but the closest one is 20miles from me and the cheapest flap they sell is $13.40 and has their name/emblem on it, which I don't want. So I went online. There is a $7.50 shipping charge for orders under $100 but even with that the total is still less than locally and saves me a 40+ minutes drive to get them. Would have been fine supporting a local place but they just can't offer what I need/want at a good price.

You lucky dog! I saw that GB thread while searching and realized I'm just late on everything. Argh. Oh well, I'll probably just add a sticker or something to mine if I want to dress them up a bit.

That mounting setup looks interesting...can you provide more pictures? Maybe from underneath and what parts you used? I was just going to do the traditional angle iron across the hitch setup as it was simple and I've got everything needed but flaps.

Also, is your truck lowered or trailer lifted or something? It doesn't look like it given the wheel gap but it looks like your hitch is a riser vs a drop hitch and I've got to run a 2.5" drop on my truck so I wonder what's different between the two setups.

I'll probably order the poly ones, stiffer sounded better and it's still under $30 for 3 of them.

Truck & trailer are not lifted or lowered. Wheels are larger, but tires are stock diameter. Driveway has an angle to it & the street is close to flat so thats why the trailer is going downhill & the truck not so much. I do use a 2" riser on the hitch, I believe it's something to do with the Avalanche rear bumper position being lower than a pickup's.

The setup is very simple, a single piece of 2"x2" angle, with 2 padlocks that go thru the angle & thru a hole drilled in the very end of the truck frame rail. I did it this way for a several reasons, ie; much less cost, more secure & positions the mudflaps under the bumper rather than behind it.

Here it is hanging on the wall of shame in the garage.

IMG_20150325_095424931_zpsecwkrzpi.jpg

I'll have to check under my truck to see if that is a possibility but I'm not sure if drilling the frame rails are a good idea either...may allow rusting to start sooner than later. Thanks for that info though, definitely cool.

Pretty cool way to mount it. Whats with the lettering coming off? Doesn't look like anything that you could have been rubbing.

Yea, they warrenteed that. I have another set they sent for replacement.

I'll have to check under my truck to see if that is a possibility but I'm not sure if drilling the frame rails are a good idea either...may allow rusting to start sooner than later. Thanks for that info though, definitely cool.

I lived in Seattle (rains a lot) for quite a while & the truck has no rust at all. A quick shot of paint on the drilled hole & it has been fine for several years now.