Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview Stereo Controls Not Functioning

MKuchins

New to the crew and Malibu. Bought a 2012 VLX this winter and while awaiting warmer weather and messing around with Maliview I discovered the Stereo controls do not function. My understanding is they are supposed to work with the Rockford Fosgate black box (RFX-3000 i believe). However the Maliview screen does display whatever is going on with the head unit (source, volume change, station, ect) so the connection is not entirely broken. I've verified all the buttons work by moving through the other Maliview screens. Suggestions on other possible causes??? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Mike

I should be able to control the majority of the stereo functions with the Maliview controls right? Unless of course I'm using bluetooth.

I had a 2012 but am having trouble remembering how it all worked. I am pretty sure I just used the black RF remote box to the left of the steering wheel for everything.

Even with the new boats not all of the stereo controls work on all of the screens depending on the input so its not like its a new thing for it not to work like you'd expect.

Yeah that will have to be my plan. Would be nice to to use the actual push buttons on the Maliview vs the touch screen on the RF head unit, especially when moving. I'm planning on checking all the connections this weekend just to be sure. Any pointers on where I should focus my efforts with this particular issue?

Same issue I had with mine. Turned out the wire was never connected to the black box behind the amp rack. Check your connectors. I bet someone at malibu didn't leave enough slack in the wiring when they bolted the amp rack back up so the connector came unplugged.

I think you nailed it Brianborder. I found a black male rca type cable hanging near the rfx3000 black box in the battery compartment. Traced this cable back to the viper module under the dash. My next question is, where does this cable connect in the battery compartment? To one of the RFX3000 cables, or is there another separate connection somewhere I'm missing?

Edited by MKuchins

It'll connect to one of the matching connectors hanging from the rfx3000 black box. They may have been pushed through holes in the amp rack but you'll find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have tried most of the connectors coming out of the rfx3000 without any luck. no luck finding a connection behind the amp rack either. Does anyone know exactly which output from the rfx3000 is meant to connect with black RCA type wire from the viper module to enable the maliview media controls?

Have tried most of the connectors coming out of the rfx3000 without any luck. no luck finding a connection behind the amp rack either. Does anyone know exactly which output from the rfx3000 is meant to connect with black RCA type wire from the viper module to enable the maliview media controls?

Anyone?

I had been dealing with the problems of the POS RFX3000 for going on 4 years before I finally figured out the riddle. If you look in the somewhat lacking RFX manual you will see the TO RFX-MR5BB/RCM plug which if even remotely loose will prevent "most functions" from occurring on theMalivue screen. I had to almost weld the d..n thing together to keep from having constant issues. A two handed push together, a crap load of electrical tape an a lot of strain relief finally fixed the issue. The CD plug in if you are so inclined to add one is a dead plug except for power. The CD function was sacrificed for other functions at least on my version from what RF replied to me when I asked.

Wanted to provide some closure on this topic. Finally got it working! The problem was with the black circular TO RFX-MR5BB/RCM plug. One of the connector pins pulled out of the fitting. Was a pain to get back through but pulled it off and wrapped everything with electrical tape.

Thanks again Crew!

Glad to see you got it fixed. When the power starts cutting out on it, check the battery connections first to discount that as the issue and then remove the factory inline fuse assembly and solder or crimp in a good blade fuse assembly. This whole set up has been the most troublesome item on my boat bar none!

• 4 years later...

Thanks for this post. I recently bought a 2012 LSV (privately) and I am experiencing this issue.  I am going to try this fix tomorrow and hoping it resolves the issue!

• 1 year later...
On 7/6/2019 at 7:18 AM, Skymedic said:

I have an RFX 3000 black box that works perfectly if anyone needs  to replace theirs. 

Hi Skymedic!

Do you still have the RFX 3000 black box available?  I am also looking for the remotes (main and transom).   My direct email is [email protected]

Thanks!