Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What difference does 4 feet make?

apexeon

I have a '97 Response that my ski partner and I use mostly to ski the course. However on family outings my wife's thing to do is wakeboard. (She's jumping the wake and getting ready for wake 180's.) Our boat does have the first generation wedge that gets used only when wifey rides the board. The question is, What is the effect towing from a point 4 feet higher than the current pylon. I really like the Monster Tower but I can't justify the cost. The other logical alternative would be to add a Skylon or other extended pylon. The extended pylon would allow use of the rear seat but other than that what kind of difference does the rider actually see.

My friend, you are asking a physics question and I can assure you the answer is Not a physics answer.

I would submit to you that you should buy and install, immediatly, any tower, pylon or similar water sports device she requests and even paint it Pink if she so chooses, all the while smiling cheerfully and saying "Yes dear, you're the best".

My friend, you are asking a physics question and I can assure you the answer is Not a physics answer.

I would submit to you that you should buy and install, immediatly, any tower, pylon or similar water sports device she requests and even paint it Pink if she so chooses, all the while smiling cheerfully and saying "Yes dear, you're the best".

What he said.

I have a '97 Response that my ski partner and I use mostly to ski the course. However on family outings my wife's thing to do is wakeboard. (She's jumping the wake and getting ready for wake 180's.) Our boat does have the first generation wedge that gets used only when wifey rides the board. The question is, What is the effect towing from a point 4 feet higher than the current pylon. I really like the Monster Tower but I can't justify the cost. The other logical alternative would be to add a Skylon or other extended pylon. The extended pylon would allow use of the rear seat but other than that what kind of difference does the rider actually see.

Dude I was in the same boat as you...Long story short I got the tower for the wife, though I'm holding firm on not getting a v-drive that she wants however. Crazy.gif I had the extended pylon but it really constrains the bow area and changes the position of the slalom rope height. Having a towing point 4’ higher than the pylon will allow the rider to perform more tricks w/o being pull back down.

Wow. I've been married 15 years, attended counseling, listen to the preacher talk about success in marriage, read books, and that's the most succinct way of putting it that I've ever heard. But please don't paint the tower pink.

One more thing -- I don't know if you pull or plan on pulling kids, but a tower really does help get them get up on skis for the first time.

Now that was funny.

Physics 101 - Attaching the rope at a level higher than the rider allows the rider to be pulled up instead of down. When a rider is being pulled from a pylon or boat and they start to fall the boat usually helps pull them over due to the lower rope position. When a rider is being pulled by a boat with an extended pylon or tower and they start to fall, often times they can lean into, or rely on the rope to help pull them back up and into a stable position. In short it does help prevent some falls. Secondly it allows for higher and longer jumps becuase once again it pulls the rider up instead of down.

Case in point - watch the guys at a cable park, they can get up and in the air for a very long time due to the nature of the cable being 10+ feet overhead. Also check out any video or comments of the guys that have rode behind the "stiffy" - stiffy towers extension. It helps trust us. But reality is the first response above is all you really need to know!

A Moster tower for $1200. delivered is probably the best deal out there.

Having a high mounted rope makes a big difference. Also, the storage of boards and skis is priceless.

BTW, if you want to get a tower at buywake.com I have a 20% off code and they're offering free shipping and no tax. Not sure if free shipping is for towers.

Edited by Pistol Pete
Don't do it. Put your foot down and show her who the boss is. Biggrin.gif

Even on a good day, divorce court will cost more than the $1200 tower.

Monsters are nice, but are Titan I's still $1295 at Wakeside? IMO that's the best deal, especially since they were factory on Malibus for a while. Is there a malibucrew discount?

I put a Monster on my boat and I'm very happy with it. I had an extended pylon and got rid of it for the tower. I definitely prefer the tower. I've never had a Titan, so I'm not saying that the Monster is better, but remember that there are hidden costs with the other towers - bimini and cover. I was able to continue to use my existing bimini with the Monster (no way you can do that with any other tower, you have to buy their bimini to work with their tower) and the Monster collapses and becomes a decent prop rod for my cover (again, no mods required). The other towers require mods or you have to take the tower completely off, as I understand it. And, you get a calendar when you order a Monster!! :lol:

Good luck and Larry's right, keep mama happy!!

I put a Monster on my boat and I'm very happy with it. I had an extended pylon and got rid of it for the tower. I definitely prefer the tower. I've never had a Titan, so I'm not saying that the Monster is better, but remember that there are hidden costs with the other towers - bimini and cover. I was able to continue to use my existing bimini with the Monster (no way you can do that with any other tower, you have to buy their bimini to work with their tower) and the Monster collapses and becomes a decent prop rod for my cover (again, no mods required). The other towers require mods or you have to take the tower completely off, as I understand it. And, you get a calendar when you order a Monster!! :lol:

Good luck and Larry's right, keep mama happy!!

My Titan II folds down as well, the stock cover still fit's over the tower with it down like you said. works great. I did have to by there bimini, then I went ahead and bought speakers, racks etc..... ya it adds up quick. Monster's racks and bimini are much cheaper than most. Back when I did mine I could have bought a Monster for 999 delivered, I still went with titan, it was a little more but it looks great. Overall I'm glad I went the way I did.

I have a complete write up on the old site if decide to install yourself.

R1Lover, it that a V-Rod in your signature?

YES :) My third love.....

Nice... that will probably be my next toy!

My 2 piece B.I. extended pylon gets the rope more than 4 ft. above the pylon. It's more like 6-7 feet above the pylon. It's hard to reach from the observers seat, I'm 5'-10".

At 1/8 the cost of a tower it's very affordable. Get a used one(about $175). You can always easily sell it if you decide to get a tower.

And it does help a lot with wakeboarding, barefooting, surfing, keeping the back seat usable.

My 2 piece B.I. extended pylon gets the rope more than 4 ft. above the pylon. It's more like 6-7 feet above the pylon. It's hard to reach from the observers seat, I'm 5'-10".

At 1/8 the cost of a tower it's very affordable. Get a used one(about $175). You can always easily sell it if you decide to get a tower.

And it does help a lot with wakeboarding, barefooting, surfing, keeping the back seat usable.

Getting the use of the rear seat is another reason for an extended pylon/tower. I do appreciate all the advice on going to a tower however at this point I think the extended pylon is the best option now. I have a call in to my dealer to se if he has any used pylons. If not I'll be ordering a skylon.