Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me decide...

peterski

Should I lose the Blade?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Cast your vote, should I keep the Blade or swap it for an Illusion X?

• Keep the Blade
    • Lose the Blade, go for the Illusion X

Please help me make a big decision. I love the blade but I am having trouble getting accessories and Malibu really wants me to replace it with the Illusion X. Malibu will replace at no cost and told my dealer I can load it up (well, given I ordered the Blade, lights, racks, and bimini they owe me anyway.

The Blade was a huge draw for me and the interior color matching flows so nicely not just for the external paint job but for the internal color scheme as well. The swing-in rack plate screws just recently pulled out of the carbon fiber and Malibu doesn't want my dealer to fix them. They tell me Malibu is suing the maker (I'm sure for other reasons). Would appreciate all your insight as I weigh my decision.

PDR_0688.JPG

PDR_0686.JPG

PDR_0687.JPG

The blade is a great looking tower but if you are having serious problems with the carbon fiber, you should exchange it for an illusion X. Function over form, after all. I would, however, try to get the dealer or Malibu to "sweeten the pot" a little for your troubles. If your first choice in towers was defective and no longer in production then you need to compromise on your second choice. That compromise is worth a few bucks IMO.

One of the mods can help locate the thread I posted about where to get a bimini CHEAP ! as long as black is ok. as far as lights go, why not do it yourself, they are just surface mount lights. If you pull the speakers out there plenty of working room in the tower. I mounted my "mini" vhf on top and a anchor light.

The blade is a great looking tower but if you are having serious problems with the carbon fiber, you should exchange it for an illusion X. Function over form, after all. I would, however, try to get the dealer or Malibu to "sweeten the pot" a little for your troubles. If your first choice in towers was defective and no longer in production then you need to compromise on your second choice. That compromise is worth a few bucks IMO.

They weren't defective !

I'd get the X. If you're already having troubles, and Malibu won't stand behind it - what you gonna do when it breaks really bad?

I say take their offer and run with it. Negotiate the 'load it up' factor.

Good luck.

Nice looking boat... I just got my latest VLX from Wayne @ Xtreme a month ago. I'd go for the Illusion X switch if they're willing to equip it up for you.

If you're ever on Lillenonah and see me out on my black / red VLX, stop by and chat.

One thing. If you already ordered the bimini, racks and lights, then the only thing that they would "add" to it is speakers. If when they say they'll pay for it, find out what you can get. If they say you have to get the factory tower speakers for the Illusion, don't bother. See if they'll give you the money that those would cost you so that you can go out and buy new ones. 750/pair for the Kicker speakers is a waste. I'd want to take that money and put it towards something much nicer. And since you will be losing the speakers in your setup, I'd want to be comp'd for them.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

LS-One: I just called Jaime about the bimini. He said they start at $715 and he only has in Black. If I keep the blade I will have my dealer order one from him. Re: lights: Who lights did you end up getting? Can't tell from the picture?

Jcbatt: Re: Lilly. Will do...I actually live in Essex, CT so we spend most of our time on the river but hit Lilly and some other local lakes frequently so I'll be on the lookout.

They weren't defective !

The Blade was a huge draw for me and the interior color matching flows so nicely not just for the external paint job but for the internal color scheme as well. The swing-in rack plate screws just recently pulled out of the carbon fiber and Malibu doesn't want my dealer to fix them. They tell me Malibu is suing the maker (I'm sure for other reasons). Would appreciate all your insight as I weigh my decision.

That sure sounds defective to me.

edit: grammar

Edited by sheeprides

I saw a guy wiggle his Blade from side to side while the boat was parked once. That was all I needed to see to keep me from ever wanting one. The X is way stronger and like others have mentioned, when you have other problems down the road, service, parts, and repairs are only gonna get worse.

They weren't defective !

That sure sounds defective to me.

edit: grammar

Defective tower or defective installation ?

If something like a window frame mounting screw pulled out of the hull would that make the hull defective ?

Edited by LS-One

I Like the way the carbon looks as well but I would opt for the new tower. Avoid any future problems by replacing it your boat is still going top look great.

Another CT skier I thought JCbatt and I where then only ones.

go with the illusion! me and my buddy just got vlx's and he got the blade and i went with the illusion and my illusion is much better. also like wakegirl said the blade tower is very, very wobbly. we were cursing in my buddys and i thought it was gonna fly off or crack in half.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard thru the SLC, Ut dealer that the company that manufactures the blade is having partnership trouble and the future of the blade is questionable at best. No future support is a problem. Go with the sure thing.

• 7 months later...
I am having trouble getting accessories

Malibu really wants me to replace it with the Illusion X. Malibu will replace at no cost

I can load it up

The swing-in rack plate screws just recently pulled out of the carbon fiber and Malibu doesn't want my dealer to fix them.

blade tower is very, very wobbly. we were cursing in my buddys and i thought it was gonna fly off or crack in half.
I saw a guy wiggle his Blade from side to side while the boat was parked once.
I've seen too many Blades that are very, very wobbly.

I am surprised you are even asking the question. From an outside point of view the answer is obvious.

Worst case scenario, catastrophic failure resulting in injury, Malibu has covered their a$$, the manufacturer may not be around long. then what.

He was asking the question in first half of 2006...

.. who keeps digging up these old polls - and people keep voting on them, bumping them up... Frustrated.gif

Especially since the Blade is no more :)