Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1L / 6.0L

UpperleftWake

Then it might not a case of it being rare, but that the market will pay more for it. I found quite a few in the midwest, none of which are anywhere near $10k. Apparently people are paying more like $15k or even $20k for them.

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't that clear on that. I meant that its rare to find one for 10k...with the requirements we had. Not impossible, we missed out on a couple that we just couldn't go get time (they sold with 2 days of the posting), but rare.

These are hard to find in the PNW, people hang onto to them for a long time, for a reason! You have to act fast!

I've owned both engines and can compare apples to apples on this one.

Had, 2001 Suburban 2500 6.0 160K miles

Have, 2001 Suburban 2500 8.1 140K miles

My opinion on the two engines:

You could split hairs on the gas mileage between the two, so don't bother basing it off that. You could make an argument that the 6.0 does better on gas mileage while not towing, but if that's your concern go buy an EV for your daily driver!

6.0 is a great engine, I did not dislike mine, it towed fine on the flats and going over the pass. Plenty of power to get the job done. If you drive both under load you will notice the 6.0 tends to run more constantly in a higher gear and higher RPM's

8.1 is the better engine and if you are faced with the fortune of getting to decide between the two go with the 8.1 all day long, you won't regret it. Sure it might burn some oil, but nothing to stop the decision in this direction. After having the 6.0 and now having the 8.1 there is a considerable difference in power. Plus I didn't know it at the time with the 6.0, but having now driven the 8.1 I realize how hard the 6.0 worked under load compared to the 8.1. The 6.0 was always shifting down and running high RPM's under load(it didnt lack power to get the job done though), the 8.1 doesnt even know the boat is back there and just plugs along and does not need to shift down as much as the 6.0 does.

If you have the chance to test drive both you will notice the difference in power just driving around, I even notice the difference in RPMs and how hard they work even when not towing.

I endorse the suburban as a tow vehicle, tons of space, comfortable ride and you can throw a box on top if you need even more storage. The self leveling air ride suspension is a big plus too.

Hope that helps!

Edited by klewislx
  • Like 2

These are hard to find in the PNW, people hang onto to them for a long time, for a reason! You have to act fast!

I've owned both engines and can compare apples to apples on this one.

Had, 2001 Suburban 2500 6.0 160K miles

Have, 2001 Suburban 2500 8.1 140K miles

My opinion on the two engines:

You could split hairs on the gas mileage between the two, so don't bother basing it off that. You could make an argument that the 6.0 does better on gas mileage while not towing, but if that's your concern go buy an EV for your daily driver!

6.0 is a great engine, I did not dislike mine, it towed fine on the flats and going over the pass. Plenty of power to get the job done. If you drive both under load you will notice the 6.0 tends to run more constantly in a higher gear and higher RPM's

8.1 is the better engine and if you are faced with the fortune of getting to decide between the two go with the 8.1 all day long, you won't regret it. Sure it might burn some oil, but nothing to stop the decision in this direction. After having the 6.0 and now having the 8.1 there is a considerable difference in power. Plus I didn't know it at the time with the 6.0, but having now driven the 8.1 I realize how hard the 6.0 worked under load compared to the 8.1. The 6.0 was always shifting down and running high RPM's under load(it didnt lack power to get the job done though), the 8.1 doesnt even know the boat is back there and just plugs along and does not need to shift down as much as the 6.0 does.

If you have the chance to test drive both you will notice the difference in power just driving around, I even notice the difference in RPMs and how hard they work even when not towing.

I endorse the suburban as a tow vehicle, tons of space, comfortable ride and you can throw a box on top if you need even more storage. The self leveling air ride suspension is a big plus too.

Hope that helps!

Whew, that was some great detailed information about both option'd Burbs. Thanks for that!

I'm starting to look back more at Diesels (7.3 & 5.9). My commute is 79 miles a day. Although I could get a 2500 'Burb cheaper, fuel prices would kill me over a long period time until I move closer to work. I'll likely just pay a premium for a Diesel and up my budget some...

Lots of pro's & con's to weight here.

if you are commuting 80 miles, get a small car!

+1!!! Buy a used commuter car off Craigslist until you move closer to work!

Do the math on the higher cost up front of the diesel and see how long it will take for the cost in fuel savings to pay for that. You might be surprised.

Edited by klewislx

I'm starting to look back more at Diesels (7.3 & 5.9). My commute is 79 miles a day. Although I could get a 2500 'Burb cheaper, fuel prices would kill me over a long period time until I move closer to work. I'll likely just pay a premium for a Diesel and up my budget some...

Lots of pro's & con's to weight here.

Keep in mind Diesel is about 50 cents more a gallon here in Salem.

Crew, what's your thoughts?

-One Owner, meticulously maintained by an older couple that lives in the mountains.

-179K Miles, Super Cab Short Bed
-3:73 Gear Ratio
-Aftermarket Banks exhaust
-It looks like a Edge Evolution programmer is included. N
-Interior and Exterior in great condition for age
-Canopy for the bed
-No rust

-New Ford transmission installed by Stayton Ford in 2012 @ 160K miles

-Clean body, no rips in the interior

Bad:
-Needs new tires

Photo%20Mar%2017%2011%2041%2001%20AM_zps

Photo%20Mar%2017%2011%2052%2054%20AM_zps

Edited by UpperleftWake

I test drove the truck and the steering was tight, transmission shifted nicely, and was a comfortable ride. I crawled under, inspected the undercarriage and to my delight could not fit any leaks... It definitely was taken care of, or the PO got it detailed prior to posting it for sale because it was CLEAN from the door jams to the engine bay.

Price is $10,250.

I pulled the trigger and was able to negotiate down to 10K. I feel like I got the most truck / boat hauler for my money. I even got the original window sticker :).

BuDozer 2

• 3 weeks later...

Towed 80 miles the other day with a T23 behind me. One hand on the steering wheel, power on tap, and a comfy ride. I am pleased with my new truck! I just picked up another ball mount to get the boat / trailer level more in tune.

Photo%20Apr%2007%204%2041%2001%20PM_zpsg

Big thanks to Bawshogg for getting me on the road leak free!