Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1L / 6.0L

UpperleftWake

I am in the market for a new Tow Vehicle since ditching my Dodge Ram 2500 CTD. I loved the pulling power of the Cummins, but I had a Regular Cab and the short wheel base was nicht so gut leaving me uncomfortable at times.

I am in the market for a 2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 (3/4 Ton) 8.1L / 6.0L. I was wondering if any of TMC has owned one of these guys? Pros / Cons?

Here is what I like:

- Longer wheel base

- Gobs of storage room for gear

- Towing capacity

- Seems to a proven vehicle

Here is what I don't like:

- Reports of the 8.1 being an oil consuming machine

- Relatively small fuel tank = short range

I know MPG for the 8.1L will be 9 - 11 and the 6.0L 11 - 13. I heard the 8.1L got a more stout transmission behind than the 6.0L. Any truth to that?

Thoughts?

Thanks ladies and gents.

I strongly considered an 8.1 suburban/yukon a couple of years ago. I pull over the mountains and wanted bottomless pulling power. Honest owners told me that while towing up the mountains at 50-65 mph I could expect to get under 6 mpg. that and the smallish tank ended up ruling the 'burb out for us.

I strongly considered an 8.1 suburban/yukon a couple of years ago. I pull over the mountains and wanted bottomless pulling power. Honest owners told me that while towing up the mountains at 50-65 mph I could expect to get under 6 mpg. that and the smallish tank ended up ruling the 'burb out for us.

Nails on a chalkboard.

I'll mostly be towing on flat ground, or light inclines. I'll go over the Cascade once or twice a year, so pulling power is not necessarily a hot button for me but nor do I want something gutless!

I am in the market for a new Tow Vehicle since ditching my Dodge Ram 2500 CTD. I loved the pulling power of the Cummins, but I had a Regular Cab and the short wheel base was nicht so gut leaving me uncomfortable at times.

I am in the market for a 2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 (3/4 Ton) 8.1L / 6.0L. I was wondering if any of TMC has owned one of these guys? Pros / Cons?

Here is what I like:

- Longer wheel base

- Gobs of storage room for gear

- Towing capacity

- Seems to a proven vehicle

Here is what I don't like:

- Reports of the 8.1 being an oil consuming machine

- Relatively small fuel tank = short range

I know MPG for the 8.1L will be 9 - 11 and the 6.0L 11 - 13. I heard the 8.1L got a more stout transmission behind than the 6.0L. Any truth to that?

Thoughts?

Thanks ladies and gents.

Hi,

Our tow vehicle is a 2002 3/4 ton Suburban with the 6.0 L motor. We have owned the truck for 2.5 years.

The storage / seating is awesome. Even with the 3rd row seat up, there is a lot of storage room. Ours has the captains chairs in the 2nd row which makes it nice to use the 3rd row (easier to get back there). The truck is fast and has plenty of power. No issues with the range. Truck usually outlasts our liquid capacity.

Truck has 136k miles. Trans just started with a slight whine. Have not looked at it yet, but am suspicious that the torque convertor is failing. We have not noticed any oil consumption issues.

We are very happy with this truck, however, there are some issues arising. Have been having some HVAC issues. The AC was repaired by the dealer last summer, now the heat is acting up. I believe this to be an issue with the vacuum line system. This is a very poor design in my opinion.

Rust. Living in Michigan, this is a never ending battle and some really tiny rust bubbles are starting to grow at an exponential rate. Typical spots - bottom of doors & wheel wells.

We run heavy duty tires on this truck (60 psi) and I think that helps out the gas mileage a little bit.

Due to the rust we are starting to look at a replacement. 3/4 tons are hard to come by used and I just can't deal with the rear end issues that the 1500s have. We are probably going to try to find a suitable replacement a couple states south. (2004-2006)

What size is your boat? I've been towing with an 03 5.3 z71 Tahoe with power to spare and decent fuel mileage. The old 99 5.7 suburban I had before that did the job too but you could tell it wouldn't pull a lot more. The 6.0 should be more than enough power unless maybe you have a 247.

Edited by robbennett

Hi,

Our tow vehicle is a 2002 3/4 ton Suburban with the 6.0 L motor. We have owned the truck for 2.5 years.

The storage / seating is awesome. Even with the 3rd row seat up, there is a lot of storage room. Ours has the captains chairs in the 2nd row which makes it nice to use the 3rd row (easier to get back there). The truck is fast and has plenty of power. No issues with the range. Truck usually outlasts our liquid capacity.

Truck has 136k miles. Trans just started with a slight whine. Have not looked at it yet, but am suspicious that the torque convertor is failing. We have not noticed any oil consumption issues.

We are very happy with this truck, however, there are some issues arising. Have been having some HVAC issues. The AC was repaired by the dealer last summer, now the heat is acting up. I believe this to be an issue with the vacuum line system. This is a very poor design in my opinion.

Rust. Living in Michigan, this is a never ending battle and some really tiny rust bubbles are starting to grow at an exponential rate. Typical spots - bottom of doors & wheel wells.

We run heavy duty tires on this truck (60 psi) and I think that helps out the gas mileage a little bit.

Due to the rust we are starting to look at a replacement. 3/4 tons are hard to come by used and I just can't deal with the rear end issues that the 1500s have. We are probably going to try to find a suitable replacement a couple states south. (2004-2006)

Good feedback. Thanks for taking the time to give a run down of your experience.

Yeah, I've only seen a few 3/4 Ton pop up here in my area. Luckily, for the most part, rust is not an issue on vehicles around here unless brought for out-of-state. I'm mainly looking for a used 'Burb that has some maintenance records / receipts just so I know the history... In my price range, I don't think there is a better bang for the buck for tow vehicles.

What size is your boat? I've been towing with an 03 5.3 z71 Tahoe with power to spare and decent fuel mileage. The old 99 5.7 suburban I had before that did the job too but you could tell it wouldn't pull a lot more. The 6.0 should be more than enough power unless maybe you have a 247.

I tow anything from a 20 VTX / A20 to a 23 LSV / T23. Because of so, I don't think I want to go with a later model 1500 (1/2 ton). The 2500 (3/4 ton) trucks will do me a solid, especially in the braking category.

It's weird... almost everything that has popped up locally for a 2500 Suburban has been a 8.1 | I would have thought that people would have opt'd for the 6.0, as opposed to the 8.1 upgrade cost.

A buddy of mine almost pulled the trigger on a similar Burb last year. According to him, there are limitations on the hitch. Going from memory, it is next to impossible to upgrade the hitch above what comes from the factory (5000 pound limit?). Whatever the limit was, it wasn't enough to pull his 27' Formula.

I put my 23 LSV on a scale before I bought it. With less than 1/3 tank of fuel, it was a touch over 6000 pounds. Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tow with an 05 Avalanche (same chassis, similar body) with the 5.3 & 4.10s. I can get as high as 20 mpg unloaded at 55 mph. I don't think I'd want to tow a 23 footer over the pass. Technically its within spec though. Higher gears would be even worse. Worst mileage I've ever seen towing my 21 footer over mountain passes is 10 or 11 & it'll spend a lot of time gearing down to keep the Rs up. But at 150k miles it still doesn't burn hardly any oil.

My brother has a 2000 Burb with the 8 liter. The mileage sucks no matter who, what, where or how you drive it. Never better than 10. More like 8 towing. But loaded thru the Siskiyous is never a problem.

I have a buddy with a 99 Silverado with the 6.0 liter. The thing will pull anything. His own 23' Vride or his dad's 28' cabin cruiser thru the Grand Tetons. It goes thru gas & oil though.

Frankly I wonder if stroking a 5.3 would be the way to go. Maybe a supercharger?

• Like 1

F-150?

This was bound to happen. Too bad I can't afford a EcoBoost.

A buddy of mine almost pulled the trigger on a similar Burb last year. According to him, there are limitations on the hitch. Going from memory, it is next to impossible to upgrade the hitch above what comes from the factory (5000 pound limit?). Whatever the limit was, it wasn't enough to pull his 27' Formula.

I put my 23 LSV on a scale before I bought it. With less than 1/3 tank of fuel, it was a touch over 6000 pounds. Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's interesting... Thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure to check Hitch Rating #'s.

I sold an 03 Yukon Denali (had the 6.0) for 8k last spring. It had 115k miles. Motor was strong but you're correct in the transmission being the weak link. A late 90s one ton can be found in your price range as well. That's what I'd be looking at if I was in your position.

I have a 2500 03 suburban with the 8.1 engine and love it. I've had it for five years now and have 230K on it. It tows our 05 23 lsv with ease. I have been getting at best 13.5 mpg but average 11.5, towing was best at 12 on the highway at 55 but quickly falls as speed increases. Around the lake and hills towing I average around 9mpg. On range, my truck has a 40 gallon tank, well two tanks actually, one above the spare tire that feeds into the larger main tank which I am sure is standard on the 2500.

The engine does burn a quart of oil every 1,500 miles and you can hear a slight tapping noise on start up from piston slapping that is very common on these stroked big blocks (the pistons are the same as a 454).

The transmission is a 4l85e and is strong. It is slightly different than a 4l80e in that it has been modified that handle the extra torque from the big block (455 flbs).

If it is 4 wheel drive, the transfer case can develop pin oils in the rear housing half from the oil pump rocking back and forth. Drive to long with out fluid in it and that will need replacing which I learned the hard way.

Mine also has autoride which is the electronic or active shocks. They ride great but are expensive to replace. By the way the 2500 is a much firmer ride than then 1/2 tons making towing much more enjoyable but still not a lumber wagon.

The trucks are rated to tow 10,000 to 12,000lbs depending on factory specs.

The actual receiver hitch is 5,000 trailer/12,000 weight distribution and the tongue is 600 trailer/1,500 weight distribution. That should be fine for most applications as that is what most 2" receivers are rated at.

Other than little electrical sensors and components that go out its been great to our family. It is definitely not a speed demon but it is a monster tow machine.

Edited by Dan4x4
  • Like 1

If you can't find a Burb how about a Ford v-10 Excursion?

We looked at these when we were shopping. Even more rare and more expensive than the suburban...

Now the diesel excursion...under 10 k... that is a white whale!

• Like 1

We looked at these when we were shopping. Even more rare and more expensive than the suburban...

Really? I'd say under $10K is pretty easy around here for a used v10. The used market loves the 7.3, but the other excursions not so much.

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4898005052.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4864633186.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4853743660.html

$10K diesel: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4917680239.html

Nice, not the same situation up here in Michigan. If you do find one for that price, its rusted out.

Also, look at the mileage on those... 220k plus... too much for me.

I realize I didn't list all requirements... but to paint a better picture... we were looking for a 4x4 with 150k or less, little to no rust.

Those are not in my area and many are way over 10k and and have 200k + miles

Then it might not a case of it being rare, but that the market will pay more for it. I found quite a few in the midwest, none of which are anywhere near $10k. Apparently people are paying more like $15k or even $20k for them.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky