Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow Rigs Exhaust

Afun

Everyone putting exhaust tips out the side behind rear wheels...or in front of rear wheels...or straight down underneath chassis...

Any pictures of mudflaps and exhaust out the side?

On my old '11 5.3L Chevy I had dual magna flow rear exit. Sounded great!!! Melted one of my Malibu Crew mud flaps mounted on a rock tamers bar 9" from tip! Dual rear exit is also real loud if towing a travel trailer. Never melted the rock tamers flaps though.

For everyday and towing I recommend side exit behind rear tire. Easiest to keep everything clean and the classiest (well--least offensive).

Straight out the back blows it right at the towed item. And frankly is kind of redneck nowadays. So are the "extreme duals" that exit at 45* at the ends of the bumper. That fad lasted for about five years a while back.

Ford did the in-front-of-the-rear-tire for one year on the world's best truck F150 during the 1997 body change and of course the customers that never wash their trucks discolored that wheel. So they got free behind the tire exhausts and a new wheel a few years later. Looks fine, just more maintenance.

Dumped straight down in front of the axle is usually only for really low vehicles. Blasts the undercarriage with particles (more cleaning) and if it's an SUV rather than a truck it can cause fume issues inside. My Tahoe is dropped 7" in the back and the exhaust still exits behind the rear tire. Just takes time and adjustments to suck it up tight to the body and make it work so the axle doesn't hit it. Yes, heat shields remain in place.

Hidden and dumped straight down at the rear bumper works too. That's what I did on my wife's SUV, but purely for style rather than function. Hers is kind of an odd one and I couldn't make anything look decent with the body shape.

Edited by jk13