Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Comand Screen partially working

On 6/12/2016 at 5:11 PM, jgates237 said:

Unfortunately, no updates as far as cost affordable solutions go. What symptoms is your screen showing? Want the Malibu reps contact info, I have it sitting around somewhere. If nothing else you can vent on him for the quality and cost to replace an item that virtually every boat is experiencing a failure with.

Yes, some of the newer boats are having issues but I don't believe they are the same as the '11's & '12's. Ours is doing that bubblin' thing.

jgates Can you PM me the contact info for this guy too? I want to be one on the list to let them know this is a very common problem and wish they would throw us a bone. If nothing else, sell us the screens at cost not retail.

Edited by dalt1
  • Like 1
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 5:24 PM, dalt1 said:

Just got a quote from my local dealer. $1624 to purchase. Plus tax here = $1775 out the door. OUCH, he did suggest leaving it out in the sun to possibly cook out the condensation. This sounds contradiction to what some have said on this site as they cover theirs while in the sun. Makes me wonder about pulling it and putting it in rice like drying out your wet cell phone? Although reading back through this thread appears to suggest that is not moisture related.

It's not moisture. Mine is so significant that you can see it drying out near the edge. Tick, tick...

I spoke with Malibu rep about possibly helping out with repair screens for us in need. He told me since I did not transfer the warranty when I bought my boat at 2 years old, that he couldn't help me? Even if I had it would still be out of warranty  now by almost 2 years.

Was only asking about possibly purchasing at closer to manufacturer cost instead of full retail $$$.

He said since it was not a Malibu part, he couldn't help but gave me a # for Medallian.

Medallian said they can't sell to public and it was out of their hands, Malibu was my only chance of help.

So there you have it, Get ready to shell out the big bucks when all these fancy screens start going out. Oh wait a minute, that's already happening. I may have to spend my money on another brand next time, you know, share the love!

At the very least medallion could sell refurbished models and give you a credit sending them back the defective model.  Those screens were a problem from the initial production. My 2011 had one replaced within 3 months of purchase.  It is ashame medallion and malibu are not giving better options for there customers.  This is what will cause people to move on to a different brand when upgrading to a new or different boat. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fman said:

At the very least medallion could sell refurbished models and give you a credit sending them back the defective model.  Those screens were a problem from the initial production. My 2011 had one replaced within 3 months of purchase.  It is ashame medallion and malibu are not giving better options for there customers.  This is what will cause people to move on to a different brand when upgrading to a new or different boat. 

I agree. I have a 2013 23lsv with 1180 hours that has the screen separation beginning this year, but due to my "high hours" they will not do anything. When it goes, I am going to try to fixit myself. Will keep this forum posted. Right now everything still works, but the screen separation has increased rapidly this summer. ?

Edited by BlackBluMalibu

I was told by a different dealer their cost is around $850.00 on these units. This is why SMG will never get my business again. I'm in the process of buying a boat out of state. Now I'm worried that the 5 year warranty won't be enough. 

3 hours ago, liquidrider said:

I was told by a different dealer their cost is around $850.00 on these units. This is why SMG will never get my business again. I'm in the process of buying a boat out of state. Now I'm worried that the 5 year warranty won't be enough. 

IF I every buy a boat with touch screens I'm going to make it part of the deal, in writing, that the dealer will sell me replacement electronics at cost. I can't believe what you guys are going through. Most auto companies step up in these circumstances and at least share the cost. BMW just replaced my out of warranty electric water pump no charge. Like you, I was one of many and they want us to come back next time.

This doesn't sound promising at all, I recvied my replacement yesterday by Grayhound. But have yet to deal up the cost with

my dealer. ..  Yes Frustrating to say the least let alone costly on a product that degraded due to poor quality, not abuse. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Fman said:

The rep at Medallian told me they no longer do refurbs.

7 hours ago, dalt1 said:

The rep at Medallian told me they no longer do refurbs.

Did he say they've done something to correct the problem? Seems like there is something we can do since Malibu has decided to ignore this problem.

3 hours ago, liquidrider said:

Did he say they've done something to correct the problem? Seems like there is something we can do since Malibu has decided to ignore this problem.

Nope,they really didn't even acknowledge a problem. Guess it's not a problem for them as they get to sell more product.

Medallian Phone# if anyone wants to let them know this is not a 1 in a million falure rate issue. 800 828 8127. Greg Brock Ext # 351 was the contact name I was given, he never returned my calls but handed me off to a girl named Misty.

6 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Medallian Phone# if anyone wants to let them know this is not a 1 in a million falure rate issue. 800 828 8127. Greg Brock Ext # 351 was the contact name I was given, he never returned my calls but handed me off to a girl named Misty.

Greg Brock is the 'Warranty Administrator' @ Medallion so looks like the right target person....

https://www.linkedin.com/in/greg-brock-66b2073b

Just bought a 2012 247 with 238 hours. I have the bubble and some of my buttons aren't working. Only had the boat a week and bought it from a dealer local instead of buying one I had my eye on out of town just in case I had an issue.  Also my screen show my left rear ballast is full, yet when I try to empty I can hear the pump, but nothing comes out. Just frustrating!!! 

32 minutes ago, Fman said:

You more than likely have a float in the ballast tank not working properly, this is why it's showing full when the tank is empty.

What do I do to fix it? Tap on the pump to see if the float releases? I'm not sure if the tank is full or empty to be honest. I know the screen shows full but who knows 

I would pull up the plastic flooring to expose the tank, pull out the float and make sure it is not corroded and working properly (raise and lower manually watching tank display on maliview).  Once you pull out the float sending unit you will be able to see if there is any water in your hard tank.  If the tank is full (not draining) you need to pull your drain pump and make it is clear of debris and spinning freely.  The aerator pumps can bind up easily from dirty water and grime build up.  Usually when the pumps are binding up they will blow a fuse, sounds like you can hear it running.  My bet is your sending unit is either corroded or defective.

Edited by Fman
2 minutes ago, Fman said:

I would pull up the plastic flooring to expose the tank, pull out the float and make sure it is not corroded and working properly (raise and lower manually watching tank display on maliview).  Once you pull out the float sending unit you will be able to see if there is any water in your hard tank.  If the tank is full (not draining) you need to pull your drain pump and make it is clear of debris and spinning freely.  The aerator pumps can bind up easily from dirty water and grime build up.  Usually when the pumps are binding up they will blow a fuse, sounds like you can hear it running.  My bet is your sending unit is either corroded or defective.

I have had the boat for a week lol. It worked last time out. I know the dealer is gonna tell me tough luck and I'm gonna have to shell out 1800 for a new screen. Plus this issue. Makes me second guess my purchase. Should I have went with a new axis? The luxurious feel of the Malibu sold me. 

The float/pump is an easy fix.  The touch screen unfortunately was a poor design, like I said my 2011 had the screen replaced after 3 months.  Its a bummer the screen is not working for you, maybe you can talk with your dealer and try to get a reduced price on the part because you just bought the boat.  The 247 is a great boat, things happen with any boat, it is a good idea to learn how to fix little items yourself and it will save you a lot of trips to the dealer which equals more time on the water for you.  And that screen is very easy to swap out yourself once you get a new one.

6 hours ago, Fman said:

The float/pump is an easy fix.  The touch screen unfortunately was a poor design, like I said my 2011 had the screen replaced after 3 months.  Its a bummer the screen is not working for you, maybe you can talk with your dealer and try to get a reduced price on the part because you just bought the boat.  The 247 is a great boat, things happen with any boat, it is a good idea to learn how to fix little items yourself and it will save you a lot of trips to the dealer which equals more time on the water for you.  And that screen is very easy to swap out yourself once you get a new one.

Yeah I can fix the pump issue and replace the screen myself. Just sucks lol. I gues B. O. A. T.  Bust out another thousand has got me once again

This whole thread makes me sick to my stomach especially since this is what ails my boat. I've been working this for almost two years now which is right after my transferred warranty expired. The odd thing is my screen still functions but it certainly won't be for much longer. Every day I ask myself is this the day?!

I noticed a little more bubbling on mine, after spending a week at the river using the boat every day.  I just want a unit on hand as backup for the day the inevitable happens. 

It's embarrassing that many owners will eventually have boats that do not start due to this issue.  There isn't even a fix to give owners the ability to start their boat.  So all of us with these screens will eventually have dead boats?