Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Comand Screen partially working

Unfortunately, no updates as far as cost affordable solutions go. What symptoms is your screen showing? Want the Malibu reps contact info, I have it sitting around somewhere. If nothing else you can vent on him for the quality and cost to replace an item that virtually every boat is experiencing a failure with.

Yes, some of the newer boats are having issues but I don't believe they are the same as the '11's & '12's. Ours is doing that bubblin' thing.

I haven't noticed the bubbles. Mine just stop responding to touch. First it was the switches on the bottom left now it's the start button. I will take the reps contact info. It's sad that they know they have an issue an won't address it. I see no reason we should have to pay full price for a new unit! Not sure I would purchase another Malibu and this is my 4th one.

OK, I'll PM you. I have reservations about posting his name and number. The bubbles in the screen are sometimes difficult to see and they're typically along the screen's edge.

MTC 1_zps2aua4nup.jpg

IMG_0253.JPG

Edited by jgates237

I've got the same thing on mine @jgates237.  They are slightly smaller and harder to notice than yours, but definitely there.  It's almost like condensation. 

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎25 at 8:49 AM, Andrew63 said:

There is a manual key over ride conversion kit you can source for your dealer or Bakes.

Consists of a harness, replacement fuse panel with the key switch to replace the fuse panel just under the throttle & instructions.

few hundred dollars to safeguard against being stranded in a 2011 model when the MTC screen fails.

Where did you find this?  I checked Bakes and it does not exist.

30 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

I've got the same thing on mine @jgates237.  They are slightly smaller and harder to notice than yours, but definitely there.  It's almost like condensation. 

Nope, not condensation but just the opposite, air as a result of de-lamination.  It's just a matter of time. I still haven't dropped my boat in just yet however it did start while on the trailer. 

2 hours ago, saxton15 said:

I don't suppose it has much to do with the screens being in the sun?  I cover mine religiously. 

That supposedly contributes to the failure of it. I could see how it getting hot and subsequently expanding could lead to the touch screen surface separating thus allowing air pocket to develop especially if the edges of the screen weren't very well sealed or bonded.

7 hours ago, saxton15 said:

Where did you find this?  I checked Bakes and it does not exist.

Kit consists of 3 components

MPN -3912109 Breaker panel

MPN - 3911009 Wiring Harness

Installation Instructions (file size 695 kb so too big to attached to the post, limited to 290 kb)

Back in March 2015, Paul Gregoire from Bakes replied to an email regarding this. I held off as I was recovering from the $2000 AUD expense to replace the MTC at the same time.

3912109 Panel, Circuit Breaker, 7 Breakers and Bus Bar, w/Ignition and ReceptacElea,c'h12 $185

3911009 Harness, Remote Key Switch, For Service Kit 2011 Touchscreen Boats Each $75

Both are in stock at the factory, I could do a express shipment to Bakes from Malibu and ship with the touch display if you want?

I read awhile back smoowatherman is a Dealer who either made a work around or can sorce the work around components for the manual override., he is a crew member you could PM

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/profile/176-smoothwaterman/

• 1 month later...

Good morning class... yup...the inevitable has happened!  Got up to the lake

Friday night, dunked the boat early Sat. morning and as I'm entering my code what do I see!   No!!!...  Yup,

bubbles left bottom of my MTC.  Everything works other then my Switch soft key. .. it's just a matter of time..

will be calling my dealer Monday and it'll be interesting to see what they say,  ouch, this just sucks... guess I've got to get prepared $$$  BU's out of warrenty as of last Oct.

I sure hope they've redisign these screen so this doesn't become a reaccuring event every so many years!

20160723_081348_20160724_063611.jpg

Crazy how essentially all of these screens run into this issue, yet Malibu doesn't put some sort of recall in effect.  This is the sole "key" to starting our boats, and they just ignore it. 

• Like 2

It pains me to read of another victim dealing with this dreaded issue.  I slowly had issues with mine last summer becoming unresponsive and I had to buy a new screen so I could actually use my boat this summer (2011 247 LSV). I ended up paying about $1,800 for mine and that was a hard pill to swallow.  I have talked to quite a few different Malibu Boat employees and none of them were aware of these screens having issues.....plzzzzz its pretty apparent with many others having issues on this forum.  Unfortunately there is no warranty or help from Malibu for the screens and you will have to buy a new screen to fix your issue as it will just get worse.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:44 AM, Dare2goBare said:

Good morning class... yup...the inevitable has happened!  Got up to the lake

Friday night, dunked the boat early Sat. morning and as I'm entering my code what do I see!   No!!!...  Yup,

bubbles left bottom of my MTC.  Everything works other then my Switch soft key. .. it's just a matter of time..

will be calling my dealer Monday and it'll be interesting to see what they say,  ouch, this just sucks... guess I've got to get prepared $$$  BU's out of warrenty as of last Oct.

I sure hope they've redisign these screen so this doesn't become a reaccuring event every so many years!

20160723_081348_20160724_063611.jpg

Sorry to hear/see this. From a selfish perspective, you would think that our strength is in numbers but that doesn't appear to be the case. The fact that Malibu fails to admit there is an issue with these screens is pathetic. They could at least provide us with an affordable repair/replace option as $1800 is a bit north of being fair if you ask me.

My screen has been running with the bubbles for a couple of years now but I'm sure it'll render itself useless any time now. Keep us posted with the function of your screen or if you come up with a viable solution, I will as well.

3 minutes ago, saxton15 said:
3 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

Where do you buy them if you need a replacement? 

Where do you buy them if you need a replacement? 

You can get them through a dealer which I believe the going rate is $1800 (:(). There is another option that liquidrider posted awhile back and it only cost him $600. As I recall he stated he knows of a dealer that has them in stock as the dealer realizes they are a high fail item. The thread name is "Malibu Touch Screen Issues"

Spoke with the dealer yesterday,  but haven't gotten a price yet as they need to order one in.   They did say they are going to do there

best on the cost, and I can only imagine with our great Canadian Buck!   Ouch!!!  I'll keep you all posted. .. . 

12 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Is it an easy plug and play replacement?

Yes, it is very easy to pull and replace.  2 nuts to take loose (maybe 1) and a plug.  You will have to get the correct software loaded though.  This is done with a USB drive.

When I had mine replaced (thankfully right before the warranty expired) it took about 10 min total.

I now disconnect the screen at the end of the season and store it inside the house as mine developed bubbles over the winter.

Edited by Deven

Sorry to hear "Bare", I thought this was a plaque only on the 2011 and 2012's.  I  figure your gorgeous beast was one of the first off the line for 13.  Does anyone else know about a 2013 TXI with these issues?  The reason I ask is mine failed and was luckily replaced within 2 months of warranty expiration and mine was one of the last 12's built.

@Dalt1. Yes mine was plug and play, 2 bolts, plug in and done.  I don't remember any USB upgrade unless the dealership set me up without telling me.  I took my broken unit to them, swapped it with a new unit, installed it myself (5min).  Seems funny to have surfgate buttons on my Response but if it means it will last longer all the better!

Ha, lol my nightmare is seeing a drone video of Dare pulling a tube from his tower on glass, with surfgate buttons and chasing pokeman at the same time... (no pun)  where is America going? Good luck my friends. I really need to support this site... I'm computer illiterate!  I'm also working off an Ipad  1 and can't see vids, feeling old!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Bruises said:

Sorry to hear "Bare", I thought this was a plaque only on the 2011 and 2012's.  I  figure your gorgeous beast was one of the first off the line for 13.  Does anyone else know about a 2013 TXI with these issues?  The reason I ask is mine failed and was luckily replaced within 2 months of warranty expiration and mine was one of the last 12's built.

Bruises

Yes I thought I was immune to this plaque to...  but it happened, I guess the MTC screen was in the same production run as yours and others... I'm just hopeful the new releases 

are bullet prof, and that this doesn't become a 3-4 year Occurrence!! Ouch $$$ in CDN!

@Dalt1. Yes mine was plug and play, 2 bolts, plug in and done.  I don't remember any USB upgrade unless the dealership set me up without telling me.  I took my broken unit to them, swapped it with a new unit, installed it myself (5min).  Seems funny to have surfgate buttons on my Response but if it means it will last longer all the better!

Re the surfgate buttons , if I'm not mistaken while speaking to my dealer, that is determined by the different FLASH firmware that is loaded into the MTC via a USB stick, as he

had mentioned that very issue.  Also mentioned he could in fact swap one out from a wakesetter. But we opted to order from Malibu.

Ha, lol my nightmare is seeing a drone video of Dare pulling a tube from his tower on glass, with surfgate buttons and chasing pokeman at the same time... (no pun)  where is America going? Good luck my friends. I really need to support this site... I'm computer illiterate!  I'm also working off an Ipad  1 and can't see vids, feeling old!

LMAO...That will be a COLD DAY in HELL b4 you see me pulling a Tube, let alone on water when its Glass. There's nothing more frustrating then getting the BU all rigged up

early in the AM for a footing set, only to see a tuber come out onto the lake just seconds before one is ready to go.

No disrespect meant here to those that do..... " Hell ".... oh oh can I say that on hear??? ok H3!!

Well H3!! Kalamalka Lake itself would have to be Frozen Over... lol.... and for Pokemon.. we'll I'll just leave that one alone....lol..lol...

9 hours ago, dalt1 said:

So is it that the new screens are better quality? I don't want to have to do this every 3 years. No Luck on the Group Buy set up? Come on who can help us out?

$1800 group buy. Can't say I've seen many of those...

12 hours ago, dalt1 said:

So is it that the new screens are better quality? I don't want to have to do this every 3 years. 

I'm sure hopfull this issue has been addressed by Malibu with Medallion!  Like you said don't want to be dishing out 

for a new MTC Screen every few years!

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:02 PM, dalt1 said:

08577FDC-4327-48A1-824F-B495B7C02FBB_zpsStill working but how long do you think it will last?

We need a group buy!!! I am going to have to buy 1 either way.

Is it an easy plug and play replacement?

Just got a quote from my local dealer. $1624 to purchase. Plus tax here = $1775 out the door. OUCH, he did suggest leaving it out in the sun to possibly cook out the condensation. This sounds contradiction to what some have said on this site as they cover theirs while in the sun. Makes me wonder about pulling it and putting it in rice like drying out your wet cell phone? Although reading back through this thread appears to suggest that is not moisture related.

Edited by dalt1