Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

More on (moron?) kite tubes

BigGator

Well - get them while you can... I suspect these things won't be on the market for too long (anyone remember ATCs? 3-wheelers?). For as few of these that are in use - there seems to be a high percentage of injuries.

My wife was at the hospital until 2am last night... mostly operating on a guy who broke his FEMUR and gave himself a wicked concussion.... on a kite tube. Not real easy to break a femur - gotta torque that leg pretty hard.

Just saying... be safe, folks.

"-)

That is sad but it doesn't surpise me. I saw one in action yesterday behind a Supra (that explains it Crazy.gif ). The rider took more than a few nasty spills. None from up very high. However, when that tube decides to roll over, it goes down hard and fast. The guy spent more time in the water than on the tube.

i can see someone trying to use one on our local river getting out of control and falling from a height onto the bank or be impaled on a log... very nasty :unsure:

I saw a video of these playing at a boat show a few months ago. I didn't think they would be legal to sell for long either. The video looked cool but then I guess they wouldn't be showing the wipe outs or the ambulances.

This is a classic example of the darwin theory in action. Eliminate the stupid ones from the gene pools. Unfortunately it will be the parents that are stupid and their kids will be the ones geting killed.

If you need to pull something that flies, get a good but simple kite. Tie it off to the tower and cruise on a quiet day.

I rode one yesterday. There was a cross wind (side to side) so it kept wanting to barrel-roll when it was in the air (kinda scary). I am used to a wakeboard, where you can control yourself. The fact that you couldn't really control yourself on this tube was a little intimidating. Anyways, we were being pulled by a SeaDoo, and we had to go like 50 MPH to get a decent amount of air. The height wasn't the problem, it was the speed. Falling onto the water at 50MPH wasn't fun. One guy started coughing up blood after a good 20-30 foot drop being pulled by one of those new Supercharged SeaDoos at full speed. These "wally-killers" won't be around for long.

Mike McLin

I saw one on the lake 2 days ago. They seemed to be going pretty fast but couldn't seem to get much height. The rider may have been larger than the tube allows. I know it got a lot of attention from other boats. Everyone watching probably just wanted to see a good wreck.

We saw one out on the river today. It's not for me, but it did look like it could be fun. The tube was getting perhaps 5 or 6 feet in the air.

Call me moron, call me lessoff - I get the shot to ride it, I am flying at it (pun intended).

Crazy.gif

Tell Heidi to make sure the medical, life and disability insurance is current. Falling 40 feet at 40 mph is a recipe for pain, or worse!

There is no tube, or rope length that'll get my fatass 40ft in the air behind these boats...I'll be fine.

Remember your helmet and keep any wakeskates far far away

Crazy.gif

Now see, that's a great point Dave makes. Nobody is talking about all the wakeboarding/wakeskating/footin/skiing/blah injuries. Just the new kite tube ones. There are just as many morons getting hurt all the time on all the god ol trusty gear we take for granted. I for one know as someone who's been to the ER post wakeskating injuries that any moron can get hurt with any gear.

Bring on the tube.

Now see, that's a great point Dave makes. Nobody is talking about all the wakeboarding/wakeskating/footin/skiing/blah injuries. Just the new kite tube ones. There are just as many morons getting hurt all the time on all the god ol trusty gear we take for granted. I for one know as someone who's been to the ER post wakeskating injuries that any moron can get hurt with any gear.

Bring on the tube.

So you're saying that trying a no-grab wake-to-wake the first time out on a wakeskate is a moronic move?

ROFL.gif

I am saying that I find it moronic that the wakeskate hit me in the head. I am also saying that the wakeskate is moronic for bruising my leg so bad it ends my season. I am saying that the lake conditions were moronic because of the moronic wind speed.

Under no circumstance was W2W with no grab was moronic. Biggrin.gif

Bring on the tube.

So you're saying that trying a no-grab wake-to-wake the first time out on a wakeskate is a moronic move?

ROFL.gif

With your avatars so much alike, I thought for a moment that tgaugh was having a conversation with himself. Dontknow.gif

Edited by notoutenough

Bring on the tube.

Yeah but the first year the skurfer came out people didn't die, break thier neck, or get seriously injured at the same volume this thing is taking people out!

Yeah but the first year the skurfer came out people didn't die, break thier neck, or get seriously injured at the same volume this thing is taking people out!

True...K, logic aside, I just want to ride it!