Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oops, hit a rock

Texasguy

Hit some rocks today, going slow, just starting out with a surfer and chunk, clunk chunk. Prop is toast, the knarliest prop job I've seen. Cry.gif

What props are people using on boats like a 98 SS VLX with Monsoon. The one I tore up was an Acme 13.5 x 16.

Also how do you check to see is the shaft is ok.

Your shaft is very hard to bend but, the strut is easy to bend from the torque it gets when you hit something solid. You can see if it is bent if you take a line of sight from the rudder to the tip of the shaft. The shaft should line up perfectly in line with the centerline of the rudder shaft. If it doesn't line up, your strut is probably toast. Hope that is not the case... :(

Man, sorry to hear that. You're in my area, so please tell me where you hit the rocks. I want to stay far away from there. We have the same boat, so I'm going to borrow any info you get off this thread to help me out.

Props are easy to fix, even if they are missing some metal. Baumann Propeller here in Houston can fix anything. They also straigten out shafts. Struts are usually toast if they are damaged. About the only way to see if your shaft is bent is to visually inspect it first. I would recmmend getting your prop fixed, putting it back on (see if the strut is damaged) and seeing if you pick up any vibration on the water. If so, DO NOT run the boat any more. Pull the shaft and take it to Baumann - they can straighten it out. Your dealer will want to sell you a new shaft, and new ones are pretty pricey. But you can always just file a calim on your insurance!!! If you have your dealer do the work and they buy a new shaft, you are probably looking at $1,500-2,000. Cry.gif

Well, here thar she blows!

It's even more nasty in 3D. I would not even want this prop if it was repaired, one blade is even tearing half way down. I would not want anyone else to get this prop after it was "repaired". No, I think I'll hang this one from a tree by the lake to serve as a grim reminder to stay farther away from rocky underwater islands. Crazy.gif

Well, here thar she blows!

It's even more nasty in 3D. I would not even want this prop if it was repaired, one blade is even tearing half way down. I would not want anyone else to get this prop after it was "repaired". No, I think I'll hang this one from a tree by the lake to serve as a grim reminder to stay farther away from rocky underwater islands. Crazy.gif

A buddy of mine had one that looked similar. He cleaned it up and made a light fixture out of it. Very cool.

:( Well, you may be right....that's a good one!! However, I would consider getting a quote to fix her (and it can be fixed by a good shop) and then use it as your back up. It will probably be one half the $400+ to buy a new one. Thats a pretty hard impact. You really may have bent the shaft and/or the strut. Sorry :(
Fess up Brian, where did you hit the rock?? Us Austinites need to know! :unsure:

All right, all right, but it's Really embarrassing. My dock is in Big Bee Creek Cove and since the water is falling I noticed a rocky underwater island starting to pop up. I checked it out with the SeaDoo and marked it with a bouy. We did a fine job of avoiding the rocks Most of the day but we drifted a bit while I was helping a new surfer get set to go.

Men, here comes the Worst part, my wife came by on the SeaDoo and nicely said "Hi honey, say, I noticed some dirt stirred up on that last pass thru here". Well we all know where this is going, don't we. "Yes", I said in an incredulous tone, "that's why I marked it this morning". Less than 60 seconds later I am the proud new owner of 10 pounds of Nibral yard art. She is so sweet, she towed us back to the dock. Everyone says that she will Never let me forget this one, I just say, "add it to the list".

Edited by Texasguy

Fess up Brian, where did you hit the rock?? Us Austinites need to know! :unsure:

All right, all right, but it's Really embarrassing. My dock is in Big Bee Creek Cove and since the water is falling I noticed a rocky underwater island starting to pop up. I checked it out with the SeaDoo and marked it with a bouy. We did a fine job of avoiding the rocks Most of the day but we drifted a bit while I was helping a new surfer get set to go.

Men, here comes the Worst part, my wife came by on the SeaDoo and nicely said "Hi honey, say, I noticed some dirt stirred up on that last pass thru here". Well we all know where this is going, don't we. "Yes", I said in an incredulous tone, "that's why I marked it this morning". Less than 60 seconds later I am the proud new owner of 10 pounds of Nibral yard art. She is so sweet, she towed us back to the dock. Everyone says that she will Never let me forget this one, I just say, "add it to the list".

Nope, you wont live that down for a while. Thanks for the info, we used to frequent Bee Creek a lot. So far this year we have only been on Lake Austin.

Edited by stusumm

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark...

Biggrin.gif

A guy up the lake has an entire shelf of props that have been trashed on the only two shallow water areas we have. Of course his wife is to blame.

Edited by VinRLX

Upon further inspection it gets worse, shaft and rudder is bent also. Only time will tell about the strut. Now it's over my head, time to call in the pros. Well maybe I can do it myself, I've just never aligned a strut and a shaft before. If the shops are too backed up I may have to try it myself. Crazy.gif

Upon further inspection it gets worse, shaft and rudder is bent also. Only time will tell about the strut. Now it's over my head, time to call in the pros. Well maybe I can do it myself, I've just never aligned a strut and a shaft before. If the shops are too backed up I may have to try it myself. Crazy.gif

What about insurance? This could get costly really fast and if you only had to pay a deductible then more power to you.

Yep, got insurance. I'm one of those guys that has Everything insured and always feels ripped off because I never have any claims. But I'm glad I have it now. :)