Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RV's and Boats

DarkSide

As much as we would love to live on a lake it is not possible for us at this time. We love the AZ climate, and both really like our job's. So the best solution we can come up with is as RV/5th wheel. My wife is a teacher so she has the entire summer off. I have the ability to modify my schedule to 4 on, 2 off, 4 on, 4 off. So every other weekend could be a 4 day weekend without using any vacation time.

For those that have both, do you use them both regularly? Use them on the same trips? Or are they for different adventures?

I know some people have larger 5th wheels and keep them parked at a campground by a lake all summer. That way they only have to tow their boat to the RV each weekend. If they did decide to take both for a trip, I think they would need 2 vehicles since you cannot put a boat behind a towed 5th wheel.

I know some people have larger 5th wheels and keep them parked at a campground by a lake all summer. That way they only have to tow their boat to the RV each weekend. If they did decide to take both for a trip, I think they would need 2 vehicles since you cannot put a boat behind a towed 5th wheel.

I believe you are incorrect if I'm understanding this correctly. This was copied from Arizona DMV: "May pull 2 units if the middle unit has a 5th wheel and brakes and has a weight equal to or greater than the rear unit; the rear unit is 3,000 lbs. or more and is equipped with brakes".

However, length is 65' so that doesn't leave you much room with a boat and 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Class B would be comfortable for your needs probably and tow with that.

Edited by AJWest

Definitely depends on your length situation. What I'm saying is there are regulations in certain states/provinces that may not allow you to do so. Either way, just another consideration for the OP.

There are two issues. 1. Weight, 24 MXZ is just over 7k. Most non diesel rv have 5k tow capacity.

2. Length, without tongue folded she is almost 30' from ball to swim. So that means 35' our less in front off it.

I suspect either 1. Take two vehicles, or more likely, drop 5th wheel a day our two early, then come back with boat and family.

If we could find 1 place we really like, leaving it there all summer could be a good idea.

After a few years of renting RVs of all shapes and sizes, we just bought a Thor Axis. 8,000 pound towing capacity. Its got the same Ford V10 as the big A class gas units, but in smaller package.

2014-Axis-RUV-Motorhomes-by-Thor-Motor-C

Very nice rig! Too bad you don't have an Axis boat to pull behind it...

We have a 38ft fifth wheel. Over the course of the last few years we have found a lake we all love and frequent and just leave it there most summers. Spring and Fall we do a fair amount of traveling with just the RV.

We have a Thor C and love not driving 2 vehicles but would always like to upgrade. That looks really nice bro....

Thanks! I think its good as long as you are ok with a smaller unit. Our kids are both still little so we don't need much room.

Been thinking about a truck camper and tow the boat. Need a 3500 though....

That was a real consideration, until we discovered the campers cost almost as much as a 5th wheel, and significantly more than a tow behind. That is when the camper stopped being considered.

I did this for 3 summers.

Boat stays at the house, RV stays in $35/month storage at the lake.

Drive to the lake with the boat. Launch the boat and put it in your wet slip at the lake. Park the boat trAiler there.

Drive over to storage, get your 34' 2 bedroom 2015 Crossroads 34QB quad bunk Zinger travel trailer you bought for $18k/$225month new in Michigan near factory direct, tows behind your 1/2ton at 8000lbs and put it in your spot. Obviously if you get a $1500 yearly permanent spot for the trailer with no moving it that's preferred.

A bit of a PITA this route, but if you are willing to trade time to save money, this is the cheapest route to get what you describe.

Actually most states in the middle of the nation allow tandem towing. It's not as bad as some make it out to be, I have done it for years.

This is with my old Crownline. 21' and 5000 pounds. My LSV is 2' and 1000 pounds heavier. I am having my hitch reworked in the spring to handle the additional weight.

It is not the ideal situation, but it is better than taking two vehicles and allows me to easily launch and retrieve.

We now own 1/4 of a houseboat at Powell, so we camp less than in the past but still will probably do 5 trips with both toys.

IMG952518.jpg

That is crazy, I couldn't imagine trying to turn or change lanes with traffic.

I travel in the West. If there is much traffic, I stay in the lane I am in. Believe it or not, most motorists are pretty accommodating to changing lanes to pass. Biggest difficulty used to be fuel stops, but I added an aux tank, and now have 96 gallons of fuel, so I don't have to stop while pulling.

As far as total lenght, my experience is that is not something that is strictly enforced. I have traveled through states with much shorter length laws than Colorado (Missouri is either 60' or 65') without difficulty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by RyanB