Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shut-off valve question

CarveItUp

The bow-tie valve looks like it would do the trick. I currently have the other style and the handle is WAY too big to allow the valve to spin on. Sounds like I need to look for a lower-profile ball-valve...thanks for the quick info!

CarveItUp,

The ball valve handles can be interchanged, the long handles are made just to make it easier to turn, at times you have to remove the handle to spin the valve in place.

Hope this will help you... :)

The bow-tie valve looks like it would do the trick. I currently have the other style and the handle is WAY too big to allow the valve to spin on. Sounds like I need to look for a lower-profile ball-valve...thanks for the quick info!

CarveItUp,

The ball valve handles can be interchanged, the long handles are made just to make it easier to turn, at times you have to remove the handle to spin the valve in place.

Hope this will help you... :)

What he said on the bow tie, & I'll add that you can get the bow tie in brass as well. Ski-Dim has the strainer that you need Mike, I couldn't find one locally when I did mine.

I put a brass tee for flushing into my intake line,

Do you remember the size of the fitting you used? I put the Y fitting in my intake line and am planning to do a flush T fitting. My intake was 1.25" IIRC. Is that the ID? Any details would be great, Wes. You can PM or email in lieu of posting if you like.

VinRLX,

Yes, the I.D. of the hose is 1 1/4".

I used a 1" IPS brass tee, then cut a 1"x 5" brass nipple in half. Clean-up the cut ends of any burrs, apply sealant to threads, and screw them into the tee. For the fresh water supply flush hose hookup fitting, use a 1"x 3/4" IPS brass bushing into the tee, then a 3/4" male IP x 3/4" male gardenhose thread adaptor. A garden hose thread cap w/washer will cap it off. The tee is now ready to install into the 1 1/4" hose.

The smooth cut ends of the nipple will fit nicely into the hose. If it's a little tight, use a SMALL amount of petroleum jelly. I'm not sure what size hose clamps you'll need, they'll be the same as the ones there now.

You can use a washing machine hose or a female x female garden hose coupling to go from the garden hose to the flush tee fitting.

Just make sure you snug that cap down real good when you're done. Hope I explained all that clear enough. E-mail me if you have any specific questions. :)

I'll be tearing out my flush pro and adding in a valve and tee in for flushing. I just don't trust that piece of plastic in the line and not having any ability to shut off the water. I'll take pictures of the mod when I do it.

When are you doing it? Feel free to send me some detailed pics, if you're so inclined. I've already got the valve, stock, but want to add the T for winterization purposes.

I guess I dont understand what this mod is for.  why would you ever need a shutoff valve on the intake line?

For those of us with a strainer, it allows you to remove the strainer to clean with the boat in the water. It is nice if you are changing the water pump impleller in the water too, although it isn't really essential.

Just be quick about it. LOL

I now see the need - just never had that need myself, so I was confused.