Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailering with cover on

waldito

Try loosening the bow strap so that the cover isn't pulled too low in the front. I know that if mine is adjusted wrong, it makes it hard to get the cover on properly

hopefully it will sell soon and I won't have to worry about the cover! Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always tow with my cover on. Long distance trips (3+ hours) it gets the shrink wrap treatment. No issues from the cover rubbing.

+2 I wrap my boat three times before putting the cover on and I've never had an issue.

OK. Used to only seeing that where the windshield is, haven't seen one that used it around the rails.

The lining is only on the windshield & where the hooks are that keep it down over the rubrail. I've never had any issues with the cover on the gelcoat.

The lining is only on the windshield & where the hooks are that keep it down over the rubrail. I've never had any issues with the cover on the gelcoat.

Smart idea. I'm not convinced that my factory cover would do anything to the gel either, but being that my boat is mostly black at the rails I worry about it since black shows every little scuff. Only time I use the cover for towing is our big trip each year, the normal 5 minute trip to the launch doesn't really need it.

Edited by oldjeep

Smart idea. I'm not convinced that my factory cover would do anything to the gel either, but being that my boat is mostly black at the rails I worry about it since black shows every little scuff. Only time I use the cover for towing is our big trip each year, the normal 5 minute trip to the launch doesn't really need it.

Yea, 5 minute to the launch probably doesn't need the cover. But we will do trips to Shasta, Hells Canyon, Banks or Roosevelt, camping trips on Coeur d'Alene or Pend O'Reille, etc..... which are 2 - 12 hr trips at freeway speeds. And hauling a boat full of unsecured camping & skiing equipment is asking for trouble, not to mention illegal. Plus going over a mountain pass (like the OP is talking about doing) is a good way to drop a ton of freeway filth in & all over the interior of the boat.

I hav4e a number of friends who have black boats & use Evolution covers while trailering & don't have issues. The cover needs to be adjusted correctly & Cory will work with you on how thats done.

Yea, 5 minute to the launch probably doesn't need the cover. But we will do trips to Shasta, Hells Canyon, Banks or Roosevelt, camping trips on Coeur d'Alene or Pend O'Reille, etc..... which are 2 - 12 hr trips at freeway speeds. And hauling a boat full of unsecured camping & skiing equipment is asking for trouble, not to mention illegal. Plus going over a mountain pass (like the OP is talking about doing) is a good way to drop a ton of freeway filth in & all over the interior of the boat.

I hav4e a number of friends who have black boats & use Evolution covers while trailering & don't have issues. The cover needs to be adjusted correctly & Cory will work with you on how thats done.

Our trips are more like 4 hours once a year, don't really fill the boat with anything - I just don't like all the road tar and crap getting into the boat. If I'm taking it over to my folks place 1.5 hours away, I don't bother unless it is supposed to rain. Haven't had any issue so far with the factory cover fitting nice and tight, as long as you put it on right.

WP_20140703_004.jpg

Hi Crew, I have a 2011 wakesetter with the factory cover, I am going to go on a 3000 mile road trip from Bc Canada to Lake Havasu and back. So my question is, Will the cover chafe and scratch the gelcoat? I Usually don't tow with my cover on!

In this thread, I'm referring to the original post that asked the question. It sounds like your the exception here OldJeep. I also have similar experiences to yours when I tow the 2 blocks to the ramp from my house. But because the original question was asking about something completely different, I didn't bother to say anything about them,.

In this thread, I'm referring to the original post that asked the question. It sounds like your the exception here OldJeep. I also have similar experiences to yours when I tow the 2 blocks to the ramp from my house. But because the original question was asking about something completely different, I didn't bother to say anything about them,.

Huh - the exception to what?

I had about 10 straps sewn into my factory cover (4 each side and two rear) to hold cover tight when towing (around trailer and snap together) and then duct taped some pipe insulation where straps could rub hull and bingo, trailers great and keeps all rain and dust out. I also treated my cover twice now w 303 waterproofing spray. Works fantastic. a lot of local upholstery shops can sell ya the strapping and plastic buckles for the straps to add to the cover and sew em in for ya. Or, order the 1" wide straps and buckles and take it to someone like I did. Saves ya having to buy a new cover till ya have to.

• 2 weeks later...