Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailering with cover on

waldito

Hi Crew, I have a 2011 wakesetter with the factory cover, I am going to go on a 3000 mile road trip from Bc Canada to Lake Havasu and back. So my question is, Will the cover chafe and scratch the gelcoat? I Usually don't tow with my cover on!

I had the factory cover on my 2008, so this assumes yours is the same.

My problem wasn't with the cover material, it was the tie down straps that get moving in the wind. Four tricks I used to address this -

1. For the straps near the windshield area, i make sure they are tied to the trailer in a way to be far away from the boat.

2. For all straps, twist them at least a half turn. This keeps them from being "excited" by the air moving across them and keeps them from getting into a mode that rubs against the boat. (PS - this also works with bimini straps)

3. For the straps that are near the wheels, that are harder to pull away from the boat, i cut a piece of pool noodle and slid it over the strap. Then at the top and bottom of the noodle I put on a ski rope "strap" (the 1" wide straps to keep ropes coiled). The noodle would ride next to the boat and not cause the rubbing.

4. Buy an Evolution cover.

I had the factory cover on my 2008, so this assumes yours is the same.

My problem wasn't with the cover material, it was the tie down straps that get moving in the wind. Four tricks I used to address this -

1. For the straps near the windshield area, i make sure they are tied to the trailer in a way to be far away from the boat.

2. For all straps, twist them at least a half turn. This keeps them from being "excited" by the air moving across them and keeps them from getting into a mode that rubs against the boat. (PS - this also works with bimini straps)

3. For the straps that are near the wheels, that are harder to pull away from the boat, i cut a piece of pool noodle and slid it over the strap. Then at the top and bottom of the noodle I put on a ski rope "strap" (the 1" wide straps to keep ropes coiled). The noodle would ride next to the boat and not cause the rubbing.

4. Buy an Evolution cover.

The newer covers don't ha e straps

I have a Rankin towable cover, now known as the Evolution. The boat & cover are 10 yrs old. I tow with the cover on all the time & have not seen any issues with the gel coat or windshield frame. I can't imagine securing all my gear & seats any other way.

$500 of labor to have the black strap marks removed the first and last I towed with the cover on. That said, it wasn't the cover itself but the black straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no way I would not use a towable cover on these boats. We have to secure a ton of equipment so it doesn't get blown out of the boat, soaked/filthy or stolen. Wrapping the boat with plastic wrap the way Jeep describes is one way to do it. Or getting a good cover is more ideal.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

Thanks everybody That gives me the info I need, looks like saran wrap technique it is, not really an option to leave the cover off when its gonna be still winter for a good chunk of the trip!

• Like 1

I Have the stock Malibu Cover. Always tow with the cover on when I'm heading

to the interior. I give the BU a good cleaning then wrap her with plastic packing shrink-wrap

so any chafing is between the wrap and cover.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/mobileproduct/924029

Edited by Dare2goBare

I have the cover that has the ratchet tighten in the back. It has the malibu logo over the bow. Any time I've towed with it on (maybe 3 times) the wind makes the sides come up over the rub rail. I have to stop and pull them back down.

I have the cover that has the ratchet tighten in the back. It has the malibu logo over the bow. Any time I've towed with it on (maybe 3 times) the wind makes the sides come up over the rub rail. I have to stop and pull them back down.

That is the same one I have if you mean 2 ratchets in the back with a 1" strap, rather than the cord type ratchet. If it is coming over the rub rail then it isn't on tight enough, mine doesn't move at 75MPH.

• Like 1

That is the same one I have if you mean 2 ratchets in the back with a 1" strap, rather than the cord type ratchet. If it is coming over the rub rail then it isn't on tight enough, mine doesn't move at 75MPH.

Yep I have the same one. It's almost like mine isn't wide enough. If I strap it down tight one side will come up. If I get both sides over the rub rail and crank it down one side comes up.