Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Ski

Pondking

Picked up a new 05 System 8 (rf forward) with double 04 phantoms for a very smoking deal. Skied it yesterday in a totally neutral set up with way too much cheater angle. This is how it came from the store and we were in my friends boat (no tools) so I could not make any changes. Thing is, I'm not sure what to change to make the ski work better for me. The 2 things I did was ducked out back boot, moved it forward one slot and lessened the angle on the cheater. I don't know enough about the technical/ physics to know what to change. The one issue I had with neutral set up was getting a strong edge on my weak side cut (from r-l).

what speed do you ski at? what size is the ski and whats your weight? do you ski in course? if you dont i would suggest you just take it off, it will make the ski far more smooth and allow you to carry more speeeeed.

what speed do you ski at? what size is the ski and whats your weight? do you ski in course? if you dont i would suggest you just take it off, it will make the ski far more smooth and allow you to carry more speeeeed.

Ski is 68', I'm 190 Cry.gif free ski at 34 and ski course @34.

Talked to Sully (Chris Sullivan) last year a bit about setup on the Monza/S8. He said those skis don't respond well to moving the bindings forward. The sweet spot is huge on these skis but you get a little forward of it if you move the bindings forward. His words, not mine. He suggested running them in the middle position for both my S8 and my buddy's Monza.

As for the wing, I took mine off this spring and won't be putting it back on until I'm farther into the shortline on the course. I was having deceleration issues at 28 off, 36 MPH while free skiing this weekend. I don't often get that deep into the course yet though. The ski really turns better at my normal 22 off, 34 MPH with the wing gone. Damn thing still hops on the off side though.

Matt,

So you're skiing with the front binding in the middle hole? I moved mine forward one hole after the first time out and liked it much better. But that was with a CBR 88+ fin, which I've since taken off and replaced with the stock fin.

I'm still working on dialing it in and although it is getting better I'm not totally happy with it yet.

Mike

Matt,

So you're skiing with the front binding in the middle hole? I moved mine forward one hole after the first time out and liked it much better. But that was with a CBR 88+ fin, which I've since taken off and replaced with the stock fin.

I'm still working on dialing it in and although it is getting better I'm not totally happy with it yet.

Mike

Yes front binding middle but moved rear forward one notch and ducked. Fin is standard and I'll try w/o wing.

I'll read through the Goode ski set up info.

Any other experience set-up suggestions for the S8?

everyone should check out the fluid motion program for setting up monzas and sixam's. its pretty detailed and perhaps a little over the top but worth a look.

im havin trouble setting up my monza at the moment too. no matter how much i try and load the tip and keep it down and balanced it still comes up out of my offside turn. it has thrown me back 3 passes (and its winter), but im looking foward to having chet raley set it up for me in 3 weeks time! Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

i picked up a caliper here in Oz for about $20 (converted to US$) off ebay. far cheaper than buyin one off schnitz or someone for over 100 bucks. quality and accuracy still seem pretty good too.. good enough for me anyway.

Edited by Toby
Get a good set of calipers

Edwin please explain the use of the calipers. For fin depth or forward/back positioning? Boot positioning?How does the adjustment effect the ski?

Is this way to technical for a rec skier who freeskis 3 days a week and in the course once a week?

Do I just keep changing things 'till its dialed? Is my head spinning? Crazy.gif

Tune in for the answers to these questions and more....Same bat time...........

Edited by Pondking
Matt,

Mike

Yep, middle hole on both bindings. I've been working this season on riding with a lot more bend in my rear ankle and it's been working real well for me (well, up until I re-injured my ankle on Saturday...). I actually had to move my fin back a little bit because the ski was coming around too much on me with this body position. I might have to go a bit farther yet with this due to the coming off 2/4 (LFF). I'm actually hoping to demo some 69.5s and 70s this summer... but I have 11 damn weddings this year... Cry.gif

So much for your summer. 11 Saturdays of being stuck in a church and 11 Sundays of recovering.

Are you skiing the course around here? Up at the mud hole in Neosho?

Once in a while at Neosho. My ski setup doesn't work a bit in Neosho though. I have it set up for cool, clear, dense water where I ski my portable. The thing feels so sluggish out at Neosho it doesn't even feel like the same ski.

I did just find out that a good friend of mine is dating the daughter of a co-owner of a lake out in Dousman... I told him he's obligated to marry her. :)

Edited by UWSkier
I did just find out that a good friend of mine is dating the daughter of a co-owner of a lake out in Dousman... I told him he's obligated to marry her. :)

Still Waters? You know there's a tourney there in a couple of weeks with some more openings.

Not one of Dr Jims daughters? He will have you running 41off before you know it :lol:Crazy.gif

Edited by Toby