Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cruise control help

I am having some trouble with the cruise control for surfing and wakeboarding. We have had perfect pass waleboard pro on two boats and expected this to work in somewhat the same way. My primary problem is that the speed varies a lot when using the cruise even in relatively smooth conditions. It is really tough with wakesurfing because the really nice wave comes and goes. I am seeing it go up and down almost 2mph. I haven't tried the rpm setting yet though. For slalom it seems to be really good. I have the 8100 motor. Any advice?

I too have a 2006 with the 8.1 liter engine and I also notice the inconsistancy in speeds with the cruise control. I was told that they had a problem with the 8.1 overspeeding the cruise control. But this was around august of 2005 and they said they were working on correcting some of the bugs with the 8.1 and i believe this was one of the problems addressed. Back when I got my boat, July of 2005, I had several problems with the engine. The 8.1 would flair and sometimes die when backing the throttle down to idle from about 1700 rpm. Malibu replaced the ecm and it fixed about 90% of the bugs but the malibu mechanic said that they were still working on the problem and that was about 8 months ago.

Anyways i have noticed the same problem you have. So far it hasnt been too much of a bother because it is still relatively accurate although i have never used my boat at surfing speeds so i cannot comment on that.

Is there a number for the update or anything I can reference. My dealer is saying they don't know about it

Not sure how to ID it... But, my dealer installed it per request of not being able to surf below 11.5. I also had another ecm update installed prior to that. I noticed the surging after the first ecm update only after several hours of operation. He initially thought it might be a bad throttle actuator. But, after the second update everything has been running perfect for 25 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a number for the update or anything I can reference. My dealer is saying they don't know about it

Not sure how to ID it... But, my dealer installed it per request of not being able to surf below 11.5. I also had another ecm update installed prior to that. I noticed the surging after the first ecm update only after several hours of operation. He initially thought it might be a bad throttle actuator. But, after the second update everything has been running perfect for 25 hours.

Our 8.1 was one of the first of the line for 06. The ECM was replaced with new firmware and in Fall 2005 new firmware installed. When was your firmware updated ?? We still have a problem with the cruise control and 8.1 every once in awhile and it seems to be only under load and happens only about 5% of the time..

Our 8.1 was one of the first of the line for 06. The ECM was replaced with new firmware and in Fall 2005 new firmware installed. When was your firmware updated ?? We still have a problem with the cruise control and 8.1 every once in awhile and it seems to be only under load and happens only about 5% of the time..

My dealer reflashed in early May. I think the recalibration files were dated late Feb or early March.

My dealer reflashed in early May. I think the recalibration files were dated late Feb or early March.

How much flux in the speed should be expected? I have an 06 23 also and get about +/- 4-6 tenths of flux. I notice more at higher speeds ( 31-36)