Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

trailer lights problem

I have a Ford P/U with the 7 pin connector and the center post (backing lights) is not working as it should.

AFAIK it has never worked

the adaptor is good - the problem is the round 7 pin on the truck.

Is there something I need to do to get this to work?

(i have been turning the 5way flat 180 degrees and turning on my headlights to back up)

thanks

Mikea

Most Ford vehicles need a relay added to the fuse box before you can tow properly. Without the relay, you won't be able to reverse with the trailer (ie: trailer brakes won't disengage). Go to your local Ford / Lincoln Mercury dealer and ask the parts dept for the relays needed - they should give them to you for free. Here's a link I found that has a diagram of what you need to fix your problem.

Mikea,

Not to familiar with fords but I would GUESS that a relay might needed to be added to your truck. They like to keep trailering circuits independent of circuits in your truck, and they accomplish that with relays and sometimes seperate fuses. Also, when you reverse your plug, you only need parking lights, it may be alittle safer if there is an elec. problem with your tailight in the water if your trailer is a boat. PS> must have typed this the same time as sheeprides.

Edited by electricjohn

It's either a relay or a big fuse....they come in a plastic bag in the glove box, along with an wire pigtail for an electric brake controller. Your owners manual will have the step by step

99% chance the relay is in place.

Ford pickups often have two fuse boxes, one under the dash, one under the hood. Both my F150 and F350 have seperate circuits and fuses for "trl tow lamps", "trl brake/turn lamps" and "trl reverse lamps".

Check and make sure each circuit has a fuse in it.

Peter

thanks for the info.

I bought a relay and installed it tonight.

Using a multi meter to test it, everything worked as it should.

I just need to get some time to hook up and ski to see if it works with the trailer on.

(sounds like a good excuse to leave work early tomorrow Biggrin.gif )

thanks

Mike A