Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Craigslist Finds

Lanman

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 6:39 PM, ATLeagle said:

I have been keeping an eye on boats for sale on Facebook in my area for about a year. 2 VLX's just popped up recently.

I wish I could pull the trigger on either of these right now!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/827234411164268/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/172493244472556/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks

Are VLXs in demand?  I am about to list my 03 VLX. 

22 hours ago, Gbarnesnavy said:

Are VLXs in demand?  I am about to list my 03 VLX. 

I’d say any boat is on demand right now.  As far as VLX’s in particular...I’d say the V25 hull (05+) tend to fetch higher prices and have more demand compared to the prior SV23 hull. With that said a prior gens are probably selling at all time high prices.  

Yeah we just sold my grand parents 2013 20' Bennington tooner for $4k more than they paid for it when new... in one day. Guess we should have asked more...Insane...    

Edited by BlindSquirrel

It sure is crazy, my folks could get about what they paid for their 06 sslxi new and I could get 10k more than I paid for my sunscape I bought last year (somehow got it at a decent price).

Hey Guys,

I sold my 98 Sunsetter VLX a few years ago. Thinking about getting back at it with this 99 Wakesetter VLX, curious what you think? I know prices have shot up this year, so it seems fairly priced to me? I am scheduled to test drive it Tuesday at 7:30PM. So have at it after that time!

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/d/eden-prairie-malibu-wakesetter-vlx/7326153890.html

• Like 1

Yeah, I think your right. Good part of the conversation was he told me he replied to me first since I had said I owned one before. Tuesday at 730 was his idea, so fingers crossed. My Sunsetter was pretty beat up when I bought it but was still going strong at 980 hours when I let it go. I think I just need to make sure its not a "fakesetter".

5 minutes ago, MNMark said:

Yeah, I think your right. Good part of the conversation was he told me he replied to me first since I had said I owned one before. Tuesday at 730 was his idea, so fingers crossed. My Sunsetter was pretty beat up when I bought it but was still going strong at 980 hours when I let it go. I think I just need to make sure its not a "fakesetter".

It has the right graphics and the wake hull for a wakesetter of that era. 

1 minute ago, hunter77ah said:

Its interesting that the rear graphic says "wedge" but the boat doesn't have one.

That is weird.  Not even the mounting bracket.  Might be worth asking if it got damages and they filled the holes or why that decal is there.

It is a bit odd, I did not go into the missing wedge in our conversation this morning, but it sure seems to check out from what I heard and can see in the pics.

1 hour ago, MNMark said:

Where would the holes be at if it ever had a wedge at some point? Under the Wedge decal?

Between the exhaust, over the garboard drain. Under the swim deck of course.

And AFAIK you should be able to install a floating Wedge on that boat if you really wanted.

5 hours ago, MNMark said:

You say fakesetter, but im pretty sure its just a package on top of the sunsetter. In 1999 i dont know that that package even came with ballast. So just a tower and maybe a wedge? I woulndnt shy away from a sunsetter. In 1999 sunsetter vlx was on wake hull

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, Ullose272 said:

You say fakesetter, but im pretty sure its just a package on top of the sunsetter. In 1999 i dont know that that package even came with ballast. So just a tower and maybe a wedge? I woulndnt shy away from a sunsetter. In 1999 sunsetter vlx was on wake hull

The Wakesetter package came with 500 lb center bag from factory.  It has the MLS switch (knob) on dash.  My guess is they opted out of the wedge OR it’s been repaired from some rear damage? 

formulaben
7 hours ago, MNMark said:

I think I just need to make sure its not a "fakesetter".

1 hour ago, Ullose272 said:

Yeah, a lot of unnecessary grinding of teeth on this.  I wouldn't be worried about which model it is, but for sure the other stuff.  If you have what you want (e.g. tower, ballast, etc.) then it's fine.  For sure every owner I know with my era of boat has removed the hard tanks and updated lots of things, so I see little difference between that and doing the same to a straight Escape or Sunsetter.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Yeah, a lot of unnecessary grinding of teeth on this.  I wouldn't be worried about which model it is, but for sure the other stuff.  If you have what you want (e.g. tower, ballast, etc.) then it's fine.  For sure every owner I know with my era of boat has removed the hard tanks and updated lots of things, so I see little difference between that and doing the same to a straight Escape or Sunsetter.

Agreed.  A friend had a 99 Malibu V-drive without a wedge and it surfed well with sacs and  a full crew.

• Like 2