Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Craigslist Finds

Lanman

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, Stevo said:

Picking up this freebie tomorrow 

98A474A3-D3BB-41EF-971B-3417371C7625_zps

Going back a couple of pages.  I picked up some old wooden skis, classics, in really bad shape.  The varnish is just peeling off, but the ski's are awesome.  Anyone know where I can get these refinished and save the original design on the ski?  Preferable somewhere near either Kalamazoo, Michigan, or the western suburbs of Illinois (roughly Naperville).

1 minute ago, CedarLakeSkier said:

Going back a couple of pages.  I picked up some old wooden skis, classics, in really bad shape.  The varnish is just peeling off, but the ski's are awesome.  Anyone know where I can get these refinished and save the original design on the ski?  Preferable somewhere near either Kalamazoo, Michigan, or the western suburbs of Illinois (roughly Naperville).

I have this same ski, however its in beautiful condition.

8 minutes ago, CedarLakeSkier said:

Tons of these classic wooden skis all over the walls & ceiling at Wiley's Ski Shop. Might be worth a phone call to ask Darren how (or if) their refinishing them.

8 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Tons of these classic wooden skis all over the walls & ceiling at Wiley's Ski Shop. Might be worth a phone call to ask Darren how (or if) their refinishing them.

If you find out post it up, this one has a few wear spots, and a huge abandon wasp nest in the boot

1 hour ago, Stevo said:

If you find out post it up, this one has a few wear spots, and a huge abandon wasp nest in the boot

That was a suggestion for you or anyone else interested in restoring old wood skis. They have piles of them & should have good info.

24 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

That was a suggestion for you or anyone else interested in restoring old wood skis. They have piles of them & should have good info.

Sorry I meant to quote @CedarLakeSkier as well if he makes the call post up what he learns.

i am knee deep in life crap that puts all my fun projects on hold

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

$80 huh?  I'll sell mine for $50 ;) and it would still be $40 more than it is worth.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/5489813927.html

I got mine at a goodwill for $10! Nice to have but once i figured out better cooler location it NEVER gets used. I laughed when i saw that on clist a week ago.

3 minutes ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

I got mine at a goodwill for $10! Nice to have but once i figured out better cooler location it NEVER gets used. I laughed when i saw that on clist a week ago.

Yeah I used it a couple times but it has to be the most useless cooler I ever owned.

13 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah I used it a couple times but it has to be the most useless cooler I ever owned.

I like mine. I ice the plastic cooler down  for drinks and put the soft sided cooler on top for dry stuff like sandwiches, yogurt, cheese sticks and such. Works great for me. The bag actually helps insulate the drinks and ice below. 

14 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I used mine for several years before it fell apart. Worked great. I fill it with beer & ice at the house, haul it down to the boat & it stashes in a space out of the way & drains into the bilge.

The biggest issue I had with it was that the melting ice made it start to fall apart over the course of a year or two. And any crushed beer cans or bottle caps would tear the liner. We began throwing the trash in another bag. And put ice in a big zip lock bag, then in the cooler. Ended up getting 4 or 5 years out of it. Pretty good for "useless" in my book.

We use the AO Cooler Stow n Go in the same way now. I filled it full of beer & ice (in a zip lock) last Saturday morning & took it down to the boat. We skied like 3 times this week, booze cruised 2 nights. It still had ice & cold beer in it on Thursday when I brought it home. The AO definitely has much better insulation & more durable liner. Works great for us.

I like hard side coolers, but in a softside for me it needs to be deep not wide and shallow.  The shape of the thing is what makes it useless to me.  In any event someone PM'd me and actually wants the thing so I guess it won't be gathering dust any more ;) 

I like hard sided coolers too. But I have a hard time storing them. I had an igloo in the walk way in my Prostar. It got crushed from people stepping on it to get to the bow.

The shape of the Stow & Go & the Malibu cooler is so it fits in it's place, out of the way, drains in the bilge, etc.. Use it as it's intended & it works great. I know a couple of Tige owners who liked the idea so much they actually copied it & setup their boats with the Stow n Go under the back corner seat. Try to use it in a way it was not intended & yea it fails. Go figure.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
Just now, Bill_AirJunky said:

I like hard sided coolers too. But I have a hard time storing them. I had an igloo in the walk way in my Prostar. It got crushed from people stepping on it to get to the bow.

The shape of the Stow & Go & the Malibu cooler is so it fits in it's place, out of the way, drains in the bilge, etc.. Use it as it's intended & it works great. I know a couple of Tige owners who liked the idea so much they actually copied it & setup their boats with the Stow n Go under the back corner seat. Try to use it in another way & yea it fails. Duh.

I don't fill my boat with bags of water, so there is plenty of room for a cooler ;)  My anchor gets stored in that under seat "cooler"

Edited by oldjeep
Just now, oldjeep said:

I don't fill my boat with bags of water, so there is plenty of room for a cooler ;)

I don't fill my boat with bags of water either. What does that have to do with it?

Just now, Bill_AirJunky said:

I don't fill my boat with bags of water either. What does that have to do with it?

My cooler goes in one of the rear compartments - where most on this site seem to fill with huge bags of water ;)

Just now, oldjeep said:

My cooler goes in one of the rear compartments - where most on this site seem to fill with huge bags of water ;)

I keep PFDs, ropes, helmets, bumpers, etc. back there. I guess I could keep the cooler in there too but it sure seems like it would add to the frustration of finding something on the bottom of that compartment.