Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tundra 5.7 Crew Max -100K miles?

Arctic Slalom

A couple months ago I sold a 2009 GMC Yukon XL Denali with 90K miles.

Got awfully close to $30K for the Denali.

Wife hated driving it; bought her an Subie Outback (loves it).

Bought and building a lake home this summer/fall.

Would like to get a 4 door pickup for hauling stuff, hunting, pulling boat, etc.

Planning to buy one with higher mileage in that $18-20K range (read less depreciation loss).

Don't need to pull the boat (as much) now with lift @ lake.

Been a GM guy, but really looking hard at a used Tundra. Specifically, an '08, CrewMax, 5.7L, SR5, with 105K miles & full service records (all done at Toyota Dealer).

I really like the size of back seat in Crew Max. I also like Toyota's reputation for reliability. Never owned a Toyota; but had (2) Nissan (which went over 200K, easy).

Truck appears to be super clean and is priced right @ $19,900. New tires (BFGoodrich) new brakes and full service completed.

A couple questions for tundra owners:

-Does the fuel economy suck as bad as everyone says? My buddy says 12-15. 10 pulling.

-Is the fuel cost really any different than GM 5.3 or Ford 5.4? Likely not much difference, eh?

-Will the Tundra have less maintenance cost & upkeep than GM and Ford from 100-200K miles?

-Is the Tundra really built better and will last longer?

-Is there anything I should be looking out for on a used Tundra (critical issues)?

any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not in a big hurry to buy. Likely will purchase something prior to May.

thanks,

CR

My parents have one, love it, no problems through 80k so far. They tow a camper and do HD runs and such. The only place showing wear on that truck is the dash where the Jack Russel stands his front feet.

My good friend has one, 104k, $6500 into a new tranny and other related parts. He tows nothing. He started having stuttering issues with it at 60k and the dealer said there was nothing wrong. Continued to occur and the dealer said, "Drive it like you stole it, these don't wear out". 4k after the extended warranty ended, blamo. Toyota stood behind it though, picked up the tab.

I'm sure if you did a search you'd find some common problems.

I wish I could give more insight than anecdotal references.

Seems like a lot of money for a truck with 100K on it.

You can pick up trucks like this with 30-60K on them for 25K

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/4884982535.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4811515202.html

http://masoncity.craigslist.org/cto/4880930958.html

Edited by oldjeep

I have an 08 crewmax sr5 and love it. Has 93K miles and no issues at all. Gas milage depends on a lot of factors, mainly how heavy your foot is. I get around 16mpg regular driving about 50/50 highway/city and prob 10-12mpg towing my vlx. I do have slightly larger duratrac tires on it but no lift so im sure that kills some mpg's. Also, using 0w20 oil gets you a bit better milage which you can do with that engine. Fuel cost is cheaper than my 5.3 tahoe i had. Tundra has a smaller tank and i usually get about 50 miles more to a tank than my tahoe did. Truck feels very stout and everything is still tight for 100K miles on it. I do wish the Crew max had a normal bed but the short bed hasn't inhibited me in any way yet. I'll probably drive it to 200K and get another Tundra (have no reason to look at anything else).

I have a 07 double cab with 191k on it. It still drives like the day it was new nice and tight. I opted for the 4 liter V6 as a compromise to fuel cost. I tow a Sunsetter LX which it tows nicely anything bigger would be a problem. I towed my 05 VLX once or twice before I sold it and the truck was under powered severely. I have never calculated the mileage towing but I get a steady 18 mpg City/Highway and it has never wavered. The only issue outside of routine maintenance has been replacing the alternator. I would own another one for sure.

I wish they would make a Crew Max with a six foot bed.

I have an 08 crewmax 5.7 as well for over 5 years. Has been an excellent truck with 78k miles. $20k seems steep for 100k mile truck, but I'm sure it'll last another 100k+ miles.

Love the truck & roll down the back window. Tows like a champ!

My truck gets 13 honest mpg average and I pretty much use it only to tow & haul. I have averaged 18-20 on the freeway before I put larger tires on it. My Dad has a 4.6 F-150 and it does better than that on gas for sure. Critical issues (if any, waterpump has a small weep hole in the bottom which is a sign the bearing is going out. Not a real issue.) Other than that, the small gas tank can be a drag but has never affected me.

Edited by Dylan01

Tundra owner myself, 07 5.7 and approaching 375K. Most maintenance has been completed by me and the odd check up at the dealer. Truck runs like it is a brand new one, nothing falling apart or loose. Mileage is horrible as expected, pulling the boat I will get 300K per 60L tank.

Bottom line is I would recommend the truck 100%, especially picking up a used one.

• Like 2

2012 Tundra with 37k on it. The only thing that has happened to it is the front rotors warped at about 20k. Toyota fixed it free of charge even though brakes are a wear item.

It is by far the best truck I have ever owned, period.

I get about 14 to 19 if I drive like a grandpa. Towing 9.5 to 10 depending on how many hills I have to go over. It tows like a beast for a gas truck.

Read up on the following link. It is especially critical is cold weather climates. I wouldn't buy one unless this has been done to it period.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/toyota-warranties-air-injection-pump/

Oh man not another TUNDRA thread... aww man if I had a dollar for every tundra thread.. or tundra sold..

But seriously doesn't that seem like a lot of money for a truck with those miles? At that milage I don't care what brand it is, things will start to wear out. My opinion. Toyota makes a good vehicle. But they aren't made of unobtainium, wear parts still wear.

2010 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 4wd with 98,642 on it right now. Already did my 100k mile service at around 92k miles. Everything is rock solid. I am averaging around 16 daily, and usually around 12 pulling my 01 VLX. I love the room in the back cab and how the seats recline (kids do too), I am actually disappointed that the newer body style lost that feature.

I know a Toyota mechanic and when I started looking he had told me to look at the 09's and up, but I can't remember the problems the older one's where prone to. They were not anything major, but did have a few problems that was ironed out later. I think it was possibly the injectors or something along those lines.

I have an 07 CrewMax, 106k on it. It's been a great truck...best one I've ever owned. I'd love to get a new one but there's kinda no reason.

My mileage is pretty awful...15-16mpg on the highway if I'm light foot or it's not windy, 13-14 around town. Fuelly says I've averaged 14.6 over the last 10 fuel ups. Last 38k has averaged 14.8mpg. It gets a solid 11.5 pulling the RLXi

Would really help if it had a larger fuel tank, something they fixed in 2015.

I have a 14 as my g-ride. SR-5 4x4 with the 5.7...for a free truck it's AWESOME! The mileage is terrible, but the power is outstanding. Not to mention the gas card with it makes it very bearable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one knowing what I know now having had it since October. And I've been a life long GM Truck guy

FWIW, had an 07 with the smaller 4.7L 5 speed dbl cab. Had 305/65/18 BFG on it, no lift and made multiple trips to and from Mississippi/North Carolina (600 miles) and I averaged 14.2 mpg every single time, speed limit +7.

FWIW, had an 07 with the smaller 4.7L 5 speed dbl cab. Had 305/65/18 BFG on it, no lift and made multiple trips to and from Mississippi/North Carolina (600 miles) and I averaged 14.2 mpg every single time, speed limit +7.

My 06 Tundra with the 4.7 didn't get much more than that and it was the smaller body style, and that 4.7 is pretty bullet proof. All the Tundra's have pretty low gearing though.

I think of my truck like most think of what size motor for their boat. The bigger truck with a bigger motor should not work as hard to move it so it should not be much difference in fuel economy.

I have a 2010 sr5 4x4 double cab with 127k on it as it is my daily driver. No issues so far and it has been a great truck. I probably average around 16 mpg highway and maybe 9-10 towing the boat (23 ft LSV). Someone with an older Tundra ('07 I think) did warn me that he had the air injector pump go out a few times causing the truck to go into "limp" mode and was close to 4k to fix. I hadn't heard of these but apparently they are like a pre-heater to get the catalytic converter more effective at startup (Californians are you behind this?Haha). http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/tundra-sequoia-air-injection-induction-pump/

@jwl019, I agree, I only put 50k on mine but there's a reason they used that motor for so long. I did have an issue with clunking into gear when at highway speeds with up or down shifting, they warranteed a drive shaft replacement (3k) but that didn't fix the problem. Told the dealership it didn't fix it and they said if I ever had a related failure, no matter the mileage, it would be warranteed. Sold it before that reared it's ugly head.

2010 5.7 Crewmax Tundra here, 85k miles. Bought it new. 100% convinced Toyota makes the highest quality truck on the market. Love driving the truck on long trips.

Not one single issue, only regular maintenance. My boat and trailer weigh 9k. My travel trailer weighed 10k. I've towed it like I stole it, flawless.

Yes 12-15 mpg. I get 7-9mpg towing a 9k lb wakeboat at 70mpg. A+++ truck.

Cons: small gas tank, pita while towing

I would reccomend you find one with the TRD package, you get the 6? Piston Brembo style brakes all around.

Edited by nyryan2001

2010 5.7 Crewmax Tundra here, 85k miles. Bought it new. 100% convinced Toyota makes the highest quality truck on the market. Love driving the truck on long trips.

Not one single issue, only regular maintenance. My boat and trailer weigh 9k. My travel trailer weighed 10k. I've towed it like I stole it, flawless.

Yes 12-15 mpg. I get 7-9mpg towing a 9k lb wakeboat at 70mpg. A+++ truck.

Cons: small gas tank, pita while towing

I would reccomend you find one with the TRD package, you get the 6? Piston Brembo style brakes all around.

Holy cow that's a heavy travel trailer! 35 footer?! I'm thinking you are pushing some limits with that!

FWIW

We had a 2000 Lexus RX300 (the baby SUV) with 275k and never more than routine maintenance. I sold it in 2011 on C/L in four hours for what I considered a fair price 7k. We have a 2010 RX 350 that I absolutely love with 45k miles.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. Appreciate it, greatly.

Here is the link to the truck; http://cedarrapidstoyota.com/Hiawatha-Iowa/For-Sale/Used/Toyota/Tundra/2008-SR5-Gray-Truck/33226949/

Yes, the water pump was already replaced.

Sales guy says the service manager owned this truck for the first 3 years.

CarFax seems awfully clean (serviced every 3-4K miles). This puts a smile on my face.

Yes, $20K is a fair amount for used crew cab pickup. I can't find a CrewMax with lower cost though. VERY hard to find in North Dakota.

It seems like all the other crewmax's which are closer to me are more like $25-30K.

GM or Ford with similar mileage are about $3-4K cheaper than Toyota (and easier to find, fosho).

I'm thinking 3:1 leveling kit and larger tires. Will negotiate in offer?

I'm caring less about fuel cost and more about resale and lower maintenance & upkeep.

I don't really think I'm going to drive it more than 10K per year…...

Holy cow that's a heavy travel trailer! 35 footer?! I'm thinking you are pushing some limits with that!

My travel trailer weighed 12k and we towed it for 1 year until we bought the RV. Had the vehicle checked weekly (diff, brakes, transmission, belts). No issues.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. Appreciate it, greatly.

Here is the link to the truck; http://cedarrapidstoyota.com/Hiawatha-Iowa/For-Sale/Used/Toyota/Tundra/2008-SR5-Gray-Truck/33226949/

Yes, the water pump was already replaced.

Sales guy says the service manager owned this truck for the first 3 years.

CarFax seems awfully clean (serviced every 3-4K miles). This puts a smile on my face.

Yes, $20K is a fair amount for used crew cab pickup. I can't find a CrewMax with lower cost though. VERY hard to find in North Dakota.

It seems like all the other crewmax's which are closer to me are more like $25-30K.

GM or Ford with similar mileage are about $3-4K cheaper than Toyota (and easier to find, fosho).

I'm thinking 3:1 leveling kit and larger tires. Will negotiate in offer?

I'm caring less about fuel cost and more about resale and lower maintenance & upkeep.

I don't really think I'm going to drive it more than 10K per year…...

Good luck! Sounds like there are a few tundra guys on here that should be able to help you spend your money. Please start a new thread if you end up buying it, and another on the type of mud flaps to buy, just to keep the fair and balanced nature of this site intact!

A couple questions for tundra owners:

-Does the fuel economy suck as bad as everyone says? My buddy says 12-15. 10 pulling.

-Is the fuel cost really any different than GM 5.3 or Ford 5.4? Likely not much difference, eh?

-Will the Tundra have less maintenance cost & upkeep than GM and Ford from 100-200K miles?

-Is the Tundra really built better and will last longer?

-Is there anything I should be looking out for on a used Tundra (critical issues)?

any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not in a big hurry to buy. Likely will purchase something prior to May.

thanks,

CR

I own an 07 Tundra leveled (which is a nice way of saying lifted 2" in front with HD rear lift shackles) and 34's. I get around 15.5. Before I did that I got around 16-17mpg. Anymore I don't really care what I get, I need a truck so I just drive it. My Dad got sold on the GMC and their bluesky mpg claims. He gets 16.5 and his Sierra couldn't keep up with my Tundra to save his life.

I am nearing 100K, currently at 94,580. I had the water pump replaced under warranty (Toyota has since redesigned the weep hole). Changed out the front brakes at 70K, otherwise change the oil and drive it. Truck drives as tight and well as the day I bought it with 5000 miles on it.

Yes, they're built better. Except the paint. The paint seems to suck. My secret - I polish it alot and keep paint sealant on it.

waxFeb2.jpg

On the 2010-2011 there was some sort of AIP issue. Air Induction Pump. You might read about it on Tundra Talk. Seems to effect very few but it can be an issue on whatever year. 10 I think.

Overall really happy with this truck. Owned several GMs and at 100K they were already falling apart. I feel like I'll be able to drive this Tundra another 200K.

nice truck k-state! Black is classic.

paint looks fine from here!

as you know, we have NASTY winters up here in North Dakota. Ice, snow, gravel roads will expose weak paint in a hurry. I drive out to the oil field about once a month.

None of my buddies have mentioned the paint issue.

What size are those tires?

Looks like your neighbor is enjoying his Tundra, also! HA!