Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

v6 F-150 towing

robbennett

My 2011 ecoboost averages 10.5 mpg while towing my 2013 VLX and about 17.5 when not towing anything. I have the 3.55 axle. But, when towing I usually use premium for a little extra push. Not sure if the economy number would drop with regular.

Just up size truck and get a 3/4 ton diesel and not worry about what your truck can do.

Not understanding the reasoning behind all the people wanting mini trucks like the F-150 with a tiny motor in it and then wanting the biggest HP motor they can order in their boats. :Tease3:

Seems like few people have even considered towing with the non ecoboost v6. I may see if the dealer will let me take the truck for a test tow and if I'm not 100% on it I'll just look for a used 3.5 eco.

Thanks for all the feedback! We should make an official F-150 thread as a sticky on here.

Just up size truck and get a 3/4 ton diesel and not worry about what your truck can do.

Well when 99% of your driving consists of City driving and 1% is towing a 3/4 ton is pretty serious overkill. During the week my biggest tow is 5 miles to the ramp. On the week ends my tow is 4 hours with no mt passes. IF I get crazy and want to go to central Oregon, it is still an easy tow.

I never worry about what my Titan can do. Not once have I had a reason to have a bigger truck. Just don't need one.

Some people do need a 3/4 ton diesel. Some people don't. Some people have a 3/4 ton diesel to take their kids to soccer practice.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

I just calculated that a 1 mpg difference means a 1500$ fuel savings over the course of 300,000 miles at 2.50 per gallon. Even if gas was $5 a gallon it's only $3k in savings. I think I'm just gonna go for the power of a 5.0 or ecoboost.

Edited by robbennett

I just calculated that a 1 mpg difference means a 1500$ fuel savings over the course of 300,000 miles at 2.50 per gallon. Even if gas was $5 a gallon it's only $3k in savings. I think I'm just gonna go for the power of a 5.0 or ecoboost.

Don't discount that 5.0 it's a sweet engine that has lived in the shadow of the also sweet ecoboost. my dad has the ecoboost in his truck, I have the 4.6 in my 09 and a buddy who's truck I drove quite a bit last year has the 5.0. the ecoboost has definitely got the power but the 5.0 just might get better real world milage and man does it sound sweet doing it! If you tow often though you won't regret the smile inducing silly quick guts of the ecoboost.

I have the 5.4. The way I look at it, go big or go home, when it come to pulling, I want the power and comfort

of knowing it's all there when I need it, mileage is the last thing I worry about, to a degree that is.

Then again I live in BC, nothing but mountains to go through in every direction!

Are you talking about Ford's 5.4? It will do the job, but the EB and new 5.0 is head and shoulders above that older 5.4 platform. I didn't buy the EB for the mileage ( and I'm glad as it doesn't do much better than my 5.4 did), but it performs way better.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you talking about Ford's 5.4? It will do the job, but the EB and new 5.0 is head and shoulders above that older 5.4 platform. I didn't buy the EB for the mileage ( and I'm glad as it doesn't do much better than my 5.4 did), but it performs way better.

Yes Ford's 5.4 2009.

Can't speak for the new platforms as you mention, as I have never taken one out for a test. But can only say I'm more then happy with my 5.4

towing performance through our mountains up here.

And as far as it goes with the new platforms, one must think that all the new technology has to have

a positive impact relating to performance.

photo%202_zpsaidkygm1.jpg

Pic I took last night when detailing the boat. I wanted blue flame or sunset metallic but I'm kinda glad the tuxedo black worked out!

Edited by robbennett
  • Like 3

Yes Ford's 5.4 2009.

Can't speak for the new platforms as you mention, as I have never taken one out for a test. But can only say I'm more then happy with my 5.4

towing performance through our mountains up here.

And as far as it goes with the new platforms, one must think that all the new technology has to have

a positive impact relating to performance.

Sure, new techology is usually better. I was just pointing out that even with the new lineup of engines, the old manta of "go big or go home" doens't necessarily apply.