Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F150 Interior Leak

MotoGPTy

Is this a more recent leak or have you noticed it from near the beginning of ownership? If it's since the beginning and it's not the 3rd brake lamp (also my guess for most probable) would be to check the seam between the roof panel and body side outer. Leaks here can be difficult to seal in the body or paint shop at the factory and can show up in multiple locations in the interior.

Also lemon law requires only 3 failed attempts from the dealer to resolve your issue. If you bring up the lemon law, I'd be willing to bet that the issue would be escalated quickly and they should be a able to get some more experienced people on the job.

The issue showed up about 8 months after owning the truck. I haven't mentioned the word "lemon" but if there's another drop of water int he cab that's definitely the word I'll be using as well as "lawyer".

The issue showed up about 8 months after owning the truck. I haven't mentioned the word "lemon" but if there's another drop of water int he cab that's definitely the word I'll be using as well as "lawyer".

Yes, those 2 words should get you the help you need. Typically the field service engineer in that region would get notified immediately if that's brought up. And those guys are impressive-can fix anything on a vehicle.

The dealership should also have a machine that can pump air into the cabin, then soapy water around the back glass can help find urethane skips which are also difficult to find sometimes. If they don't have one, turning the HVAC on high is still an option although not as effective.

I'd offer to help if you were near me. In a past life, root causing water leaks was part of my job.

I am going to be totally honest bro. I have owned 2 Tundras and now I am purchasing my 3rd (each of them I owned for 3-6 years) and Ive never even had so much as a piece of plastic out of place. Never used the warranty for anything other than service....just sayin'.

Oh I am sure there are Tundra's out there with leaks. Just like Nissan's (what I own) Chevy's, Dodges, GMCs, Mitsubishi's, and any other truck you can think of....all have had a leak or two at one time or another.

Just Sayin' :)

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
  • Like 2

So we got back in town and I was planning on picking up the truck this afternoon but the dealership wanted to keep it and do real world testing since it was raining fairly hard today.

Apparently they replaced the 3rd brake light assembly as well as raised the sunroof because they thought it sat a little low. Since the service manager and I discussed the sunroof drains for a while this morning I didn't ask but I'm assuming that they verified that they were clear as well. I spoke to the manager about A2W's suggestion about the air pump and he said they do it via the truck's HVAC system (ie, no external blower). I think I'll rig my own up after I get the truck back using a blower fan somehow.

Well, the service manager just called and said they'd need it another day because he went out and drove it around the parking lot and the leak presented again. Technically they are keeping this under 3 returns at this point but I need the truck to pull a boat this week. How long can they keep a vehicle for testing? I dropped the truck off on Tuesday of last week.

I am going to be totally honest bro. I have owned 2 Tundras and now I am purchasing my 3rd (each of them I owned for 3-6 years) and Ive never even had so much as a piece of plastic out of place. Never used the warranty for anything other than service....just sayin'.

195000 on my 2007. Outside of routine maintenance, replaced alternator. I am actually shocked with the amount of stop start I do, the starter is still going strong.

• Like 1

I think it's time they replaced the truck for you. If needed, find a lawyer who will get his money from the dealer so it doesn't cost you anything. Telling the dealer that my speed up a replacement.

So we got back in town and I was planning on picking up the truck this afternoon but the dealership wanted to keep it and do real world testing since it was raining fairly hard today.

Apparently they replaced the 3rd brake light assembly as well as raised the sunroof because they thought it sat a little low. Since the service manager and I discussed the sunroof drains for a while this morning I didn't ask but I'm assuming that they verified that they were clear as well. I spoke to the manager about A2W's suggestion about the air pump and he said they do it via the truck's HVAC system (ie, no external blower). I think I'll rig my own up after I get the truck back using a blower fan somehow.

Well, the service manager just called and said they'd need it another day because he went out and drove it around the parking lot and the leak presented again. Technically they are keeping this under 3 returns at this point but I need the truck to pull a boat this week. How long can they keep a vehicle for testing? I dropped the truck off on Tuesday of last week.

They need to have the truck that long to find a leak?

Tape cardboard over the window. Cut a hole in the cardboard so your blower fits in it and let her rip.

That's the way I do it when I check my trailer for leaks.

Look up the law in your state. I want to say it's 30 days in a year for the same issue. I would also be pressing them to write it up every time you come in. They keep it under 3 times it's not a lemon. They know the law.

Another thing you can do is cover the cab in sections. Put a hose on it and see if it leaks. If it does you found the section that is leaking if not move the cover to another section.

You could easily divide it up in 3 sections to figure it out. It shouldn't be that hard.

They're keeping it until Thursday at this point. Replacing sun/moonroof seal. I have to tow on Friday and have requested a truck loaner if they don't have it fixed by then. Right now I'm rolling in a little Focus.

They're keeping it until Thursday at this point. Replacing sun/moonroof seal. I have to tow on Friday and have requested a truck loaner if they don't have it fixed by then. Right now I'm rolling in a little Focus.

I would say it's time to demand a loaner truck.

Leaks can be very difficult to find. That the dealer is changing seals and working with it is a good thing. I do understand the frustration of not having your vehicle.

I hope in the end you have a good outcome.

I bought a probe back it the days it was out and when I got home found the rear seat right foot pan was soaking wet. I called the dealer and took it back they spent time looking for the leak and changed some seals and other things. Thought it was fixed but the next rain the floor was soaking again. In the end a week later the dealer called and said they were replacing the vehicle and a new car would be in the next day. I did follow up and it turned out to be a bad weld in the right front.

The water was moving through the body panels and getting in from the lower portion of the main body panel that is the bottom of the doorway stricter. Not someplace you might think.

This is when you find out what kind of dealer you have.

Oh I am sure there are Tundra's out there with leaks. Just like Nissan's (what I own) Chevy's, Dodges, GMCs, Mitsubishi's, and any other truck you can think of....all have had a leak or two at one time or another.

Just Sayin' :)

Nope. Never. Ever. Quality control is from alien technological standards. Just sayn

Nope. Never. Ever. Quality control is from alien technological standards. Just sayn

Have had 4 different F150s over the past 12 years, and none of them were ever in for service. I wouldn't use that info to claim Ford's quality control is far superior than any other manufacturer.

• Like 2

Have had 4 different F150s over the past 12 years, and none of them were ever in for service. I wouldn't use that info to claim Ford's quality control is far superior than any other manufacturer.

Yeah but Fords arent made on alien assembly lines. There is a notable difference in technology.

Sounds like they have markedly improved. My 2007 was a giant piece of s***e, but hey if thats in the past then that is a good thing

Edited by saidainc

Yeah but Fords arent made on alien assembly lines. There is a notable difference in technology.

Sounds like they have markedly improved. My 2007 was a giant piece of s***e, but hey if thats in the past then that is a good thing

Don't take my lack of any further response as anything other than an unwillingness to try to have a reasonable discussion with someone who uses a "alien assembly line" argument.

Don't take my lack of any further response as anything other than an unwillingness to try to have a reasonable discussion with someone who uses a "alien assembly line" argument.

You didnt like that reference? So are you saying I cannot go into detail about how the upholstery is hand stitched by ancient Tibetan shamans?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up on this one...a sunroof seal seemed to have fixed this issue. Not sure what P/N was replaced but if anyone needs to know I can get the info. No debris were found in the drains according to the service manager. Free rotations and oil changes have been loaded into my account for future services. We have had some rain and snow but I'm still waiting on a good 24hr soaking before I call it good.

• Like 2