Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

loose throttle on an '05 ?

the throttle on my 05 has become loose and unless I'm going 20 or more will slip back to neutral.

what's the proper procedure to tighten it up?

Thanks!

-J

Do you have Perfect Pass? If so, you'll want to trace the cable/wire going from the throttle plate to the P.P. stepper motor. There is something that looks like a radio dial/knob where the cable wraps around on the stepper motor. There is a set screw in the side of that knob. It's been known to come loose. If so, re-wrap the wire around the knob and put some loctite on the set screw.

the throttle on my 05 has become loose and unless I'm going 20 or more will slip back to neutral.

what's the proper procedure to tighten it up?

Thanks!

-J

Mine is similar but happens <12mph or so. Once up on plane it stays where you leave it. No perfect pass here. I've read through the Morse manual and it doesn't mention a way to increase throttle friction.

Actually, your terms are incorrect. The throttle has become normal and lost the brand-new stickyness that it has from mfg. :)

The throttle and return springs are designed for both safety and tournament use. This design is such that ideally the throttle knob has slight pressure back against your thumb (using the proper thumb & forefinger throttle control technique) to allow the driver to add or reduce pressure to control rpm's, rather than movement. This is the same practice as having steering torque (pull) to the right. This allows your left hand to add or reduce pressure to correct your course, rather than actual movement.

So, while that is actually true, and something a good tourney driver does without thinking, this may not be what you want to hear. The second part you don't want to hear is that there is no friction control, for that in itself prevents a safety concern.

To answer your question, nope, can't change or adjust it.

Peter. :)

To answer your question, nope, can't change or adjust it.
Umm, not entirely true. You could replace the throttle return spring with a weaker spring. :) Then the friction of the cable would be enough to hold speed.

Lol...you are quite right. My mistake.

I never had, but you could change the rotary spring on the throttle body. NorCal, where would you get one, and how would you determine the exiting and specify a new spring rate?

NorCal, where would you get one, and how would you determine the exiting and specify a new spring rate?
Dontknow.gif Never done it before. But where there's a will, there's a way. Biggrin.gif I never said it would be easy and that the parts would be available at Auto Zone. ;)

Just don't include me on "what you guys are looking for", for I prefer my throttle to not stay open. Everyone has their own preferences and concerns.

NorCal, where would you get one, and how would you determine the exiting and specify a new spring rate?
Dontknow.gif Never done it before. But where there's a will, there's a way. Biggrin.gif I never said it would be easy and that the parts would be available at Auto Zone. ;)

In that case, I'll go back to the "nope, can't change it" quote. I've never seen such an animal.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter is right,

You don't want to hold the throttle open. This spring just gives a little pull to the open position.

this issue has come up before on the older boats. The quick fix was to tighten a small sstl hose clamp around the throttle cable, just tight enough to give you the needed friction.

• 7 years later...

Do you have Perfect Pass? If so, you'll want to trace the cable/wire going from the throttle plate to the P.P. stepper motor. There is something that looks like a radio dial/knob where the cable wraps around on the stepper motor. There is a set screw in the side of that knob. It's been known to come loose. If so, re-wrap the wire around the knob and put some loctite on the set screw.

I am having this problem, but the set screw is tight. What other work arounds do I have here?