Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

steering cable '86 skier

Does anyone know the length of the steering cable for 1986 Malibu Skier. My boat is 4 hours away - one way. Tried skidim - they didn't have the info. Cry.gif Needing to replace the cable - getting a workout trying to turn it anymore. Thanks,

I'm just about to the point of needing to replace mine, so I'd be interested too in this info so I can order one and have it without having to take the old one off to measure it first.

I got a number off my cable I'm not sure about the first Letter or Number looks like E

E 304411-1301N-4513

see if this helps you out.

George

Thanks George Biggrin.gif

- If I'm correct it's not the first letter that matters, it the last ones. I'l call Skidim and find out. :unsure:

If you find yourself coming to Lake DeGray, we are generally at Arlie Moore campsites, skiing in the cove just to the east of Arlie Moore Launch Ramp. You can see the area from the ramp (day use ramp). It would be to your right if your boat is in the water, bow facing the ramp.

Let me know if you get a cable from them, and what the part number is if you don't mind. Good Luck, and If I get that way I'll look you up.

George

After talking with the tech at Skidim, the middle numbers in the part number -1301N- probably should be -1801N, the "3" is really an "8" and just was not fully stamped. That works out to a 15' cable 180/12=15. The only thing that makes sense since all the other numbers are probably not easily mis-stamped. So, I'm ordering a 15' cable system - went ahead and order the whole thing since it's only $30 more than just the cable. Plus, I got the 10% off for using the promotion code "malibu."

So, I'm saving money by ordering this part. That's my story and I'm sticking by it. Whistling.gif

That sounds good. You are probably right. I checked the other end of the cable, and the number is there as well. It is stamped really good into the cable, but is white. It probably is an 8, but just got stamped real hard. Thats what it looks like so I imagine you are right.

George

Brown truck supposed to be at my house today with cable. Biggrin.gif But, I can't go to lake to install this weekend. Cry.gif Will go the 16th to install and see how it fits and hopfully resolves my steering problem. If it does, that means I have to go to the gym to get a workout again.

I greased mine the other day and it seemed to help a lot. It never was as hard as what you describe with yours though. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

diehardskier - I put the new cable in this weekend. Works great! Biggrin.gif A lot eaiser to steer now. Also by ordering the whole kit, cable and helm elimiated all play in the steering. Yes, 15' is correct. After taking out my cable, it was stamped 15 FT on the cable. Wasn't in inches. Thanks for your help in coming up with the correct length.

Eugene