Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me figure out what's wrong with my tow vehicle. Challenge for all the mechanic types here

vanamp

Trying to avoid throwing new parts on till I find out what the problem is. The check engine light has been on and off for the last 4 months. The instant oil change place and an actual shop have both pulled the codes and said there was nothing. Truck runs great but twice in the last 4 months the truck stalled getting off the highway about half way down the ramp. No shudder or anything did not even realize truck stalled until I feel the steering wheel tighten because of the loss of power steering. It does not start easily it takes a couple tries I pump the gas pedal a little then it fires up like nothing ever happened. Definitely do not want this to happen to us while towing the boat it is tough to stop when it stalls.

I'm far from a motor head but my guess is a fuel pressure regulator or for some reason transmission is not shifting when decelerating.

Any help is appreciated

Truck is 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4wd

^This. If a light came on, there is a code. That code makes a huge difference in troubleshooting the issue.

OBD-II code scanners are pretty cheap now (I think there is even a Bluetooth version you can use with your phone). I highly suggest getting one.

• Like 1

Definitely get yourself an OBDII scanner. Under $50 and will quite literally pay for itself many times over with older vehicles if you do your own work. That being said, a friend of mine had a similar issue with his Ram of a similar vintage where the fuel pump died and it didn't throw a code. Just received a no start symptom w/o a code. I wonder if your fuel pump is getting ready to give up the ghost. Good luck.

^This. If a light came on, there is a code. That code makes a huge difference in troubleshooting the issue.

OBD-II code scanners are pretty cheap now (I think there is even a Bluetooth version you can use with your phone). I highly suggest getting one.

Yup. Get yourself one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422535414&sr=8-1&keywords=obd2+bluetooth

And an app called OBD Auto Doctor Pro

http://www.obdautodoctor.com/

Edited by oldjeep

Clean the inside of the throttle body real well with some spray. My 5.4L F150 needs a cleaning every few years or it will start doing it also.

These days when the idle starts getting a little rough, I just spray about a half a can of cleaner into the intake with the engine idling. I haven't had stall issues since I started paying attention to the idle.

BTW with dodge of that year, it has a built in code reader. Just get in the truck and flip the ignition from off to run, quickly, 3 times. Leave it in the run position, but do NOT start. The codes will pop up on the gauge cluster. It cycles through all the problem codes it has then reads done. Just post the code on here.

The ECM can store at least 6 codes and keeps them in the history for 80 start stop cycles. You need to read the code while the SES light is on. The cheap scanners can only read active codes. Once the light goes out and the system becomes ready (as opposed to not ready) again, the code goes into the history register and can only be read by a consult reader tool. Problems have to happen twice before the SES light will come on, but will go off a soon as the problem goes away, but the system will not become ready until everything the ECM checks passes twice.

You really need the code for diagnostics.

Thanks for all the input guys! I have a cheap Bluetooth scanner that I never was able to get working with my phone. I am going to try the software on my laptop to see if I have better luck. The check Engine light is off currently but I'm sure it will be back on soon. Will the loaner readers at the auto parts store pull the codes in history??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by vanamp

I'm surprised no one has recommended you fix the problem by purchasing an f150 [emoji2]

Also, One of the seats has a small tear in it. Anyone know if Chee can do seat skins for a Dodge Ram?

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input guys! I have a cheap Bluetooth scanner that I never was able to get working with my phone.

Luckily your phone puts the problem right at the bottom of each message ;) But seriously, which Bluetooth scanner do you have and what is the issue when you try to use it?

Luckily your phone puts the problem right at the bottom of each message ;) But seriously, which Bluetooth scanner do you have and what is the issue when you try to use it?

This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008UR7J6I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1422647236&sr=8-1π=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=51BTVCbq36L&ref=plSrch

I have an old Galaxy s3 and a Samsung tablet that I have tried with a couple different apps and the won't connect to the vehicle. They can can connect to the adapter but cannot read anything from the vehicle.

CEL makes me think this isn't the problem, but it's worth bringing up anyway:

I had a Ram - I had intermittent stalling and hard starting problems too. No codes, if memory serves, and a couple shops looked at it and couldn't figure it out. After many months of struggling with it, we figured out it was the fuel-pump, which is why it was so intermittent - as long as the gas tank was over 1/3, it was fine. But it was overheating when the fuel level was low and caused the pump to seize. It would usually restart after sitting for 10-15 minutes, but it got to the point that it would take hours for it to cool off enough to work again. So weird...

slim chance it's the problem you're having, but probably worth eliminating. :beer:

I'll check the plugs I have only had the truck about 9 months and am not sure how old they are. I took a 3 hour road trip snowboarding with friends this weekend and truck ran perfect and check engine light never came on.