Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Under frame spare tire mount

jeffmx

As a suggestion for other readers, SMP sold me a side mounted spare tire mount this past winter.  I gave SMP my serial number and SMP color matched the mount to the trailer.  SMP sent me a nice spare tire rim which matches my existing rims and even mounted the replacement tire on the rim.  SMP gave me great service and a fair price. 

John

Interesting...I am assuming they sold you the bracket which needed to be welded in place rather than a bolt-on?

Did they sell you the bolts/bracket to mount the spare tire to the rack?

I never got mine, so needless to say, the spare is in the storage unit.

Let me know what it looks like.

• 1 month later...

Well this project is complete....

It was a little more challenging than just welding it on, since I have a DHM trailer, and the spare tire mount is from Extreme, but it turned out awsome. :)

Jeff,

Looks great!  What kind of problems did you run into?  How did you go about matching the paint on the trailer after welding the tire mount on?

Ken

Thanks, Ken...

Basically when you buy the mount it comes raw steel.

I found some blue paint at the local auto paint store that was a CLOSE match- not perfect, but close enough for me, since it is under the boat, and surrounded by a tire.(No patience to order from DHM!)

I primered the entire thing, and then painted it, thinking it would be a simple install.

Well once the I clamped it into place, I found that the tire would hit the bunk when closed up all the way.

So I had to bend the support bar, that hinges from the round part, to lower the tire, basically craddling it. After getting the tire to sit perfect, I welded the rebuilt bracket to the frame where the pull pin is located, and I welded brackets on the tire mount, which I bolted to the frame with stainless hardware.

Finished up with some touch up paint, and a trip to West Marine for the tire mounting hardware, and it is done.

I also installed a stainless security bolt, threaded tru the rim and bottom bracket which is probably overkill, but I don't want it to get loose while traveling up and down 5 to Shasta next week!!!!! Biggrin.gif