Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Under frame spare tire mount

jeffmx

Does anybody have a picture of an underframe spare tire mount ?

This is a mod that I want to do, to avoid the funky bracket that mounts to the side.

I think some of the extreme trailers had it, and I want to have it fabricated

for mine...

I have mine up front on my Dorsey...I will try and get a pic tonight.

The issue I have is that it gets hung-up one of the ramps I use (It is a gravel lot and the ramp is slightly higher than the gravel) and I have to come in at a wierd angle to get the boat in...

Dave

I have mine up front on my Dorsey...I will try and get a pic tonight.

The issue I have is that it gets hung-up one of the ramps I use (It is a gravel lot and the ramp is slightly higher than the gravel) and I have to come in at a wierd angle to get the boat in...

Dave

Jeff,

I am looking to do the same thing. I don't see anything on the DHM site concerning underframe spare hangers. The Extreme one looks like it could work, but I don't know that I want to weld on my trailer and destroy the near perfect paint job. Let us know what you come up with.

Ken

Thanks fellas... That is exactly what I am looking for (#51, from Extreme).

I saw it on another boat, and took a quick picture with my phone, but that

wasn't going to cut it.... :)

It doesn't stick down any lower than the prop cage... it is tucked back there in that wasted space - I will have to check to see how it lowers down (I suspect it is bolted up there - obviously have never used the spare ;) )

It doesn't stick down any lower than the prop cage...  it is tucked back there in that wasted space - I will have to check to see how it lowers down (I suspect it is bolted up there - obviously have never used the spare ;) )

With the angle I have to come in , basically at a 45d to the driveway, and the dip from the street to the driveway, I would rub the letters of that sucker!!!

Anyway, I ordered one of those Extreme mounts, and when it shows up , I will weld it on.

The problem will be the paint... :)

This is a mod that I want to do, to avoid the funky bracket that mounts to the side.

for mine...

The SportBoat Trailers have them underneath the trailer. Unfortunately, I don't have any good pictures of our setup.

for mine...

The SportBoat Trailers have them underneath the trailer. Unfortunately, I don't have any good pictures of our setup.

Thanks anyway... I bought the Extreme one, it should be here tomorrow!

Another project.... :)

Jeff,

On the paint, call Extreme & see if they can get you a spray can of touch up. When we took delivery of our boat, in the packaging was a small bottle of touch up for the trailer, & they may be able to do a spray can of it.

Tracie,

Thanks... I have a DHM trailer, so I will have to match their blue. I asked if Extreme could send one pianted blue, but it probably would not match.

Besides, after I weld it, I will have to repaint it anywy.......

Tracie,

Thanks... I have a DHM trailer, so I will have to match their blue. I asked if Extreme could send one pianted blue, but it probably would not match.

Besides, after I weld it, I will have to repaint it anywy.......

Homer Simpson- DOH ! (must remember spellcheck! )

Jeffmx,

I know exactly how you feel about the fugly spare tire bolt ons. Just wondering though if anyone else with under carriage rack has had to use it? I have a Sport Boat trailer with the spare tire rack placed just in front of the front axle on the right side. Seemed great until I had to use it under adverse conditions. First, when you do need a spare, you do NOT need extra distractions. My spare was secured with two 1/2" bolts and nuts with the bolt thread extending downward. They were extra long to accommodate different tire/wheel offset but somewhere the extension threads hit something and got bent @45º backward. Try straightening bent 1/2' bolts with little leverage clearance on muddy gravel. With the boat on the trailer there is almost no room to reach the head of the bolt as you try to hacksaw the bent bolt part off. Thought of welding the bolts so they protrude upward enough to secure the tire, but realized it makes it very difficult to slide the tire off the rack with the boat on. Also pointed out to me if the treads were to rust or seize, it would be tough to get leverage within the wheel. I installed a fugly mount immediately and it looks a lot better to me than before.

Dave

Jeffmx,

I know exactly how you feel about the fugly spare tire bolt ons. Just wondering though if anyone else with under carriage rack has had to use it?  I have a Sport Boat trailer with the spare tire rack placed just in front of the front axle on the right side.  Seemed great until I had to use it under adverse conditions.  First, when you do need a spare, you do NOT need extra distractions.  My spare was secured with two 1/2" bolts and nuts with the bolt thread extending downward. They were extra long to accommodate different tire/wheel offset but somewhere the extension threads hit something and got bent @45º backward. Try straightening bent 1/2' bolts with little leverage clearance on muddy gravel.  With the boat on the trailer there is almost no room to reach the head of the bolt as you try to hacksaw the bent bolt part off.  Thought of welding the bolts so they protrude upward enough to secure the tire, but realized it makes it very difficult to slide the tire off the rack with the boat on.  Also pointed out to me if the treads were to rust or seize, it would be tough to get leverage within the wheel. I installed a fugly mount immediately and it looks a lot better to me than before.

Dave

Good stuff Dave..

Thanks, I will keep that I mind when I fab it up.

I have had the fugly mount, and just don't want that this time, so I will just have to trick it out when I do it.. :)

My spare was secured with two 1/2" bolts and nuts with the bolt thread extending downward. They were extra long to accommodate different tire/wheel offset but somewhere the extension threads hit something and got bent @45º backward.

Yea - be sure the bolts don't stick down lower than the tire - it should protect the studs fine

Definitely a compromise having a tire tucked away, vs out in the open. I for one have never used the spare on my boat trailer. In fact, I've never used a spare (now I've jinxed myself) on any vehicle, outside of my own driveway... few times I've used them when I came out to find a low tire at home, and wanted to drop the tire off to get fixed on the way to work.

I say hide it - and suffer the punishment when you need it. But you might want to check it every now and then to ensure it is ready to go when you need it

As a suggestion for other readers, SMP sold me a side mounted spare tire mount this past winter. I gave SMP my serial number and SMP color matched the mount to the trailer. SMP sent me a nice spare tire rim which matches my existing rims and even mounted the replacement tire on the rim. SMP gave me great service and a fair price.

John

Wakegirl, thanks to you and the others who have set up this site.

My spare was secured with two 1/2" bolts and nuts with the bolt thread extending downward. They were extra long to accommodate different tire/wheel offset but somewhere the extension threads hit something and got bent @45º backward.

Yea - be sure the bolts don't stick down lower than the tire - it should protect the studs fine

Definitely a compromise having a tire tucked away, vs out in the open. I for one have never used the spare on my boat trailer. In fact, I've never used a spare (now I've jinxed myself) on any vehicle, outside of my own driveway... few times I've used them when I came out to find a low tire at home, and wanted to drop the tire off to get fixed on the way to work.

I say hide it - and suffer the punishment when you need it. But you might want to check it every now and then to ensure it is ready to go when you need it

You have jinxed yourself for sure!!!!!!!! :)