Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 Malibu Sunsetter LXI questions

Jewelxoxo

Can someone please tell me where I can find info on the 99 Sunsetter? I bought mine from Malibu in Merced. I bought it used and was told it was a factory demo used only by the employees and it had never even been registered. Research and developement stated there were certain things that they had done to my boat that they were testing for future wakesetters but I'm not sure what. I do know that the rear storage compartment is huge. Someone had mentioned that it had more hp that the other boats out there but I'm not sure if that could be verified either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First off welcome to the site and congrats on the new boat!!! Welcome.gif

Are you sure that you weren't just given a "sales pitch" about the mods to the boat? What does the engine say? It should be a monson II which would have 325HP. You might be able to find a little sticker near the bottom of the engine. It could possibly have the corvette LS-1 engine in it with 375HP but you would also have other "signs/symbols" around the boat stating that its a "corvette" edition.

As far as the trunk being HUGE, its just how the SLXi's are. If you get down and look under the platform you will see a raised portion about 8" long which the normal sunsetters don't have. The SSLXi is 21'8" long where as the sunsetters of that year are only 21' Those added 8"' were all added in the trunk :)

Do you want any pictures of my engine to help you figure out if you have the monsoon?

I could be wrong but I would question if they were testing out new wakesetter options on your boat because the SSLXi is on a totally different hull then the wakesetters, but thats JMO Dontknow.gif

Edited by jetskipro550

Congrats on your purchase - you've bought the best boat malibu has ever made :). Too bad they don't make it any more :( or I'd have a 2006.

Since you bought it from Merced and not a local dealer, I'm assuming the info you got re: mods to check for future wakesetters is correct and not a big sales pitch. What I think this means is that they probably played with boat over the years - but in what way, I have no idea. In the old days, boat manufacturers used to tweak hulls because they didn't make early & good use of CAD designs.

Id it's more horsepower, you might not have the monsoon II (like mine). But I would think it's one of the engine options unless they were trying something with Indmar at the time.

Your best bet is to ask the plant directly what mods were made.

If you have any specific questions on the standard SLXI, let me know. I have all my original info & brochure (probably like every one else on the site who bought new!).

I don't think it was a sales pitch because I really fell into this one. I contacted Malibu directly not a dealership but the factory. And that's who I bought it from. They had nothing to gain because they normally don't sell to the public. I would love a pic. of your motor and anything else, interior.....etc. What size fuel tank do they have? I was told a 35 gallon tank by Malibu but even after changing out the fuel sender I can only get about 20 gallons in it. I know they left a little space for reserve but not sure how much. Also, does your back seat come completely out in 3 pieces. And do you have a built in ice chest under the front right bow cushion that drains to the eng. compartment? Sorry about all of the questions, I just haven't seen a 99 around here.

Sorry, I missed the part where you said you got it from Malibu Merced. My rear seat is one piece, there is a front cooler in all the SLXi's (but it sucks) and it does drain into the bilge area. The fuel tank is either 32 or 35 gallons but I can't remember exactly. When we go through about 20 gallons ours reads empty but its really not. There is a really great article floating around about modifying your existing system to make it read more accurately. Here are some pics of my boat that I have down at school...if you have any specific things you want pics of let me know and I will snap a few while I am home this weekend.

Sorry, I missed the part where you said you got it from Malibu Merced. My rear seat is one piece, there is a front cooler in all the SLXi's (but it sucks) and it does drain into the bilge area. The fuel tank is either 32 or 35 gallons but I can't remember exactly. When we go through about 20 gallons ours reads empty but its really not. There is a really great article floating around about modifying your existing system to make it read more accurately. Here are some pics of my boat that I have down at school...if you have any specific things you want pics of let me know and I will snap a few while I am home this weekend.

yup same here all the way around: 35 gall fuel, reads empty with 10-15 galls left, and the front cooler drains to bilge (and sucks!). 1 piece back bench seat. my boat is the same as jetskipro550's pics as well...

Thank's alot for the pics and info. They look alot alike except for the interior graphics, my driver seat also has a short headrest (like you'll ever need that), and my rear seat is definitely 3 piece (well 6 if you count the 3 cushions and the 3 seat frames). So, where can you put a ballast system in this (or can you)? Am I better with just the sacks?

You can plumb a sack into the ski locker (that what ours has) and it will be able to hold roughly 400lbs. You can't/shouldn't put any weight (fat sacks) in the rear locker unless you support the floor. The gas tank is back there and a lot of wieght could make it collapse. You could build a solid seat base and put a fat sacks in it like Wakegirl did with her old DD wakesetter, however you won't be able to get into the rear hatch that allows you access to the rudder, ruddar packing, drive shaft, etc..

When we wakeboard we load up a 500lb sack on each side of the engine, the ski locker sack, and the wedge and the wake is great! For surfing I am able to go with one 500lb. sack behind the engine and the wedge down, or two 500lb sacks stacked on top of each other on the port side. Once I get the wedge put back on I will surf with both 500lb sacks on the port side stacked and the wedge down. I have played around with having the ski locker sack filled and emptied while surfing and I can't tell which one I like better.

This pic is of the two 500lb. sacks stacked on each other.

Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to this weekend at Shasta. Glad to have it only 15 minutes away. I'm sure we'll get tons of use out of the boat this summer.

the SLXi back seat changed to 3 pieces in 2000, stayed that way till the model change in 2005

It's still a 3 piece back. The Middle is a ice chest now. The sides are empty and are open to the back locker.

Hey Jetski, nice interior!

post-1521-1149261706_thumb.jpg

the SLXi back seat changed to 3 pieces in 2000, stayed that way till the model change in 2005

It's still a 3 piece back. The Middle is a ice chest now. The sides are empty and are open to the back locker.

Hey Jetski, nice interior!

post-1521-1149261706_thumb.jpg

right back at ya!